Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving to work this morning, and notice that my yellow Maintenance Req'd light had just came on, and was staying on - just about gave me a heart attack

Then I noticed - just rolled over 7500 miles - it's telling me to change my VTM fluid!

Of course, it'll be weeks since I can make the trip to the dealer, and I'll have to look at the darn thing - time to get out the black electrical tape...

·
Registered
497 Posts
ghost said:
So I'm driving to work this morning, and notice that my yellow Maintenance Req'd light had just came on, and was staying on - just about gave me a heart attack

Then I noticed - just rolled over 7500 miles - it's telling me to change my VTM fluid!

Of course, it'll be weeks since I can make the trip to the dealer, and I'll have to look at the darn thing - time to get out the black electrical tape...
1. Instructions on how to turn off the light is in the manual - I did it so how hard can it be?
2. Manual also says that not changing VTM fluid at 7500 voids warranty so I would be cautious about racking up miles before the VTM change.

MB-

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look in the manual - what a concept! Thanks for the tip.

I was down in the shop at around 6200 miles and asked if they wanted to do it then. The shop fellow said he'd rather let it break in longer, and told me to come in at 8 or 9000. Didn't mention anything about the warranty though.

On another post, I see that someone did their own VTM fluid replacement, I may look into that - fools rush in and all.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My light had been flashing for awhile now and turned to constant yesterday at 16375 miles? My question is....Does this light warn of actual maintence required or is it just a reminder that service is due? I do have my oil changed at the dealership and will check if it corresponds with the "ugly" sticker in the windshield. Kinda worried that it showed up at a weird mileage.

Note: The light came on at 7500 mile interval but could not get car in till about 8200 miles due to schedule and dealership locale. Do you think that would affect future srvices? I wouldn't think so?If anyone has some info please calm me down. :)

Thanks in advance

Hockey

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dear Hockey:

IMHO these lights are mileage dependent. They come on every 7500 miles.

It is not like the lights in my BMW 740il which monitor the characteristics of the oil, i.e., the interval between service changes depending on how you drive.

My started to blink at 6200 miles and came on (and stayed on) at 7500.

To turn off, refer to your manual.

One final thing, if you have a 2003 the interval for changing the transmission fluid has been increased from 7500 miles to 15,000 and oil change under normal driving from 3,500 to 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's my understanding that the 2003 Honda Pilot manual tells them that they don't have to change their VTM fluid until 15,000 miles. I wonder why we have to do it at 7500 but they get until 15,000 when we both have the same drive train?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
JeffK said:
Dear Hockey:

IMHO these lights are mileage dependent. They come on every 7500 miles.

It is not like the lights in my BMW 740il which monitor the characteristics of the oil, i.e., the interval between service changes depending on how you drive.

My started to blink at 6200 miles and came on (and stayed on) at 7500.

To turn off, refer to your manual.

One final thing, if you have a 2003 the interval for changing the transmission fluid has been increased from 7500 miles to 15,000 and oil change under normal driving from 3,500 to 7,500 miles.

I guess what is bothering me is that like clockwork, it started to blink at 6200 and held steady at 7500. Why didn't it start blinking at 13700 and go steady at 15000? I am just curious why 16375 was the milage it went steady? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
csimo said:
It's my understanding that the 2003 Honda Pilot manual tells them that they don't have to change their VTM fluid until 15,000 miles. I wonder why we have to do it at 7500 but they get until 15,000 when we both have the same drive train?
The '03 MDX specifies 15,000 for the first VTM change, too. Only the '01 and '02 specified a 7,500 mile VTM change.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
hockeyplayer,

Not to worry. The "Maintenance Required Indicator" is a reminder only. It can be easily reset if you do not want that constant blinking until you can get around to doing your scheduled maintenance.

To reset the indicator:

1. Turn off the engine.

2. Press and hold the select and reset buttons on the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch ON (II).

3. Hold the button for approximately ten seconds until the indicator light resets.

Finally, if you can do an oil change, then it is a snap to change the VTM-Fluid yourself. You just need to have the right tools, supplies, and practice safety. Good luck.:29:

Check this out:http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9979&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Thanks Eagle....I reset the light and my mind is at ease. Never know,with all the electronics in these cars whether a light may have found an item that actually required maintenance is all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They way I understand that particular light's function... it is tied to mileage and the last time it was reset. I would expect it to start blinking again for you ~6000 miles from now... and stay on about 7500 miles from now.
I am just curious why 16375 was the mileage it went steady?
This would make sense if the last time it was reset was at approx 8875 miles.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
yep:29: :29: That was the mileage that I ended up getting my 7500 at. Thanks guys. Hope this helps others as well. Now, how the f#$k do I fix all the clunks coming from underneath this think. Really getting annoying. ok, next thread.:)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
...maybe an extra pair of your skates caught underneath and dragging???

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
frostyra said:
...maybe an extra pair of your skates caught underneath and dragging???
:19: unfortunately that is what it sounds like sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts