Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is MM activated by miles only or miles and time? E.g., I have read interval for timing belt is 105k miles or 84 months, whichever comes first. However, I have never seen 105/84 in any official Honda document for my 2010 X. I am coming up on 84 months but have only 55k miles. Will MM tell me to replace TB at 84 months? Thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The interval is determined by your on-board computer system based on the engine operating conditions. It will give you a code telling you what needs to be done. It will give you a Sub-code 4 when it is time to replace the spark plugs and the timing belt. Having said that, some folks still like to use the old maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interval is determined by your on-board computer system based on the engine operating conditions. It will give you a code telling you what needs to be done. It will give you a Sub-code 4 when it is time to replace the spark plugs and the timing belt. Having said that, some folks still like to use the old maintenance schedule.
Yes, I got it all sorted out since I made that post. Problem is Honda apparently still recommends changing TB at 7 years or 105k miles, whichever comes first. MM does not count months so you can not depend on it if you drive few miles. Now you get into a discussion about the seven year interval. I just pulled a 9 year old Mitsuboshi belt off my Toyota and it looked absolutely brand new at 50k miles. I have never heard of a TB failing due to old age. But, since we have interference engines, you have to consider implications if you have one of the extremely rare early failures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts