Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about 400 Mls now, every time I start up the car, it beeps and the center display shows "maintenance due soon A1" in orange. This stays in the display until I scroll it away with the right steer scroll wheel. Oil life indicator showed 15% left.

Now 400 Mls on, the oil life indicator still shows 15%, so probably still quite some Mls left to 0

Am I the only one finding this extremely irritating? that at least 1000 or more Mls prior to service due, this indicator beeps and shows every time and keeps showing till scrolled away.

On many other cars, when service due, on startup the service indicator beeps and shows, but disappears after a few seconds..

Is this MDX feature to show indicator constantly something to motivate people to have service done too soon, creating additional services in the long run?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is this MDX feature to show indicator constantly something to motivate people to have service done too soon, creating additional services in the long run?
I don't think so. Acura/Honda corporate have even sent letters to dealers instructing them NOT to over-sell services.

There has to be a balance between "unobtrusive" and "effective" reminders. Honestly, I find Acura/Honda have found a decent balance with their MID.

For the "average" owner, who takes their vehicle to a shop for service, this provides approximately a 1 month warning for them to schedule an appointment that fits their schedule.

It's not that hard to move the scroll wheel 1/8" up/down, is it? I mean your thumb is probably already in the vicinity when you're holding the wheel.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sometimes I miss the good old days of just sliding the seat up/back, turning the key, double-check mirrors, and maybe adjusting the radio station with 6 mechanical pre-sets (seat belts were optional). Now days between fobs, push button starts, gear select, navi, radio, windows, smartphone, mirror, memory seats, hatch, gas door, etc... what one more button push?

You could always schedule the service appointment and reset the reminder now to stop the message at startup.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just reset it. Problem solved.
I understand and that's easy to do, but... with other manufacturers you get a service warning at startup which after a short time disappears.
I don't get it why on the MDX every time I have to delete the indicator warning, why it doesn't disappear after some seconds like with the others, is simply annoying.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I understand and that's easy to do, but... with other manufacturers you get a service warning at startup which after a short time disappears.
I don't get it why on the MDX every time I have to delete the indicator warning, why it doesn't disappear after some seconds like with the others, is simply annoying.
Another one of those “first world problems”.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the "stages of aggravation" (lol), get worse as the indicator goes down. At 15%, 10%, then 5%, then 0%.

Nope, as I do maintenance on the car myself, it doesn't cost me much and I am not dependant on a dealer's planning.
Just that orange warning that has to be removed manually every startup and the only other way to get rid of it is to reset service before servicing is ....:banghead:

Another one of those “first world problems”.
Sounds more like "new world problems", as this annoying indicator set-up is possibly usual there? :wink:

·
Registered
713 Posts
that has been the behavior of the light for at least 12 - 15 years. My 06 RL did the same. I think it goes away if you roll the thumbwheel.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Am I the only one finding this extremely irritating? that at least 1000 or more Mls prior to service due, this indicator beeps and shows every time and keeps showing till scrolled away.
I don't like nanny items but I don't find this 'extremely' annoying. I reserve that kind of characterization for things more...extreme.

If the indicator was on its own, i.e. not on a scroll with many other functions, it'd just stay on the dash as an orange warning, kind of like a check engine light, but since it's shared with many other functions it makes sense to pop up upon startup. The 15% point is just a compromise to permit the average owner, who doesn't change the oil themselves, time to get around to scheduling the service before it hits 0%. It's been my experience that the 15% point is at about the 1000-1500 miles left to 0% point. In addition, it provides some leeway for vehicles that are shared between people and for example, the wife doesn't pay any attention to the indicator and says nothing then the husband gets drives it on an odd weekend and notices it's almost at 0% (or vice-versa with the husband and wife). It doesn't take that long to rack up 1000 miles on a vehicle for many people.

I think they need to handle it this way since they want to provide the notification in the first place - which could be argued against - as opposed to just having a mileage based oil change interval and leave it to the owner to pay attention to the odometer and take care of it on their own with no warning. The latter is the way I handle it with my other very old vehicles where if I didn't pay attention I could go many tens of thousands of miles before a change - or until the engine seized up from lack of oil.

I see your point on the annoyance, but I see some benefit to the warning, and regardless, this wouldn't hit my 'extremely annoying' category that I save for other things - like people texting while driving, people who don't use turn signals, an infotainment system that wants to dial up someone in my contact list when I'm trying to find a POI, most car salespeople, etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The indicator pop-up isnt the annoying thing..

The fact that it stays on permanently till scrolled away is.
With most other manufacturers such a pre-warning indicator will disappear after 30-60 seconds.., that is my point.

But hey, it is what it is... annoying having to manually suppress it every time till moment of completely resetting it

·
Registered
695 Posts
Some of y’all are wound too tight... :). Just get it serviced or do it yourself...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Remember those little clear plastic labels that service centers would stick on your windshield to tell you when service was due? Ahh, the old days. You know, I still have a roll of those somewhere in my tool cabinet. Should sell them on eBay!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my about 40y experience with cars, newer certainly isn't always better..
Cars from the 1995-2005 era when with a good battery you could leave standing for 3 months or more.. enter, start and drive off.
With a modern car that is just about impossible.. as a first, the battery will be dead due to all the electrics asking current while standing.. after jumpstarting it (if lucky with it accepting the jumpstart) very probably all warning lights will light up as due to low battery all is in limp/ fault mode, requiring at minimum a full faultcode reset at the workshop.... if unlucky, some electric parts may be defective due to not having voltage for some time

Parts were mostly over-engineered as the car shouldn't fail, needed to show quality, on modern cars parts are engineered to fail at a certain mileage/ age as the workshops need the repair work/ new cars need to be marketed

My 1998 NSX has due to serious personal/family health circumstances been stored for over 6y, battery has been dead for a long time. I just took it out of storage last week..
Replaced all fluids/ fuel, battery, tires.
Turned the ignition key and within 20 sec of turning over, it started up and was running just as it did 6y ago.., everything working flawlessly

NO way a present day car would do this in my opinion

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yes,the good old days. Cars have changed. I remember reading about cars that didn’t have batteries. You used to hand crank them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts