Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon - over a year ago, the Maint Req light appeared on my wife's 2002 MDX. We took it to a local shop where it simply read that we needed to have the oil change. Easy enough. We had the oil changed and the light was cleared. Then maybe 6 months ago, the Maint Required light again came on. Out of the blue, I was adding some Lucas injector cleaner to my small pickup and also put a bottle in her MDX to a full tank of gas. The light magically went away. Now last week, the light came back on and we thought, well, this worked before, so we again added Injector cleaner to a full tank of gas. Magically, the Maint light went away and just as magically, the orange engine light came on.

We are in our 60's and this was our first Acura or any make other than a Detroit make so as much as a shade tree mechanic I can be, the Acura is a different breed. We LOVE this car! Mileage isn't great but it's a great trade off for comfort. Other than going to AutoZone to have them check the code, is the orange engine light telling me something?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The Requirement Maintenance Light is triggered by mileage, back in those days Acura had fixed mileage for that light..
It will blink when starting the car at 7000miles (After being reset) and it will continue to blink and chime until 7500 where it will go constant On.. This light is pretty outdated since new Synthetic Oils can outperform the oil used to tune that Maintenance Light.. If you go with full Synthetic Oil you can go full year round protection in which case you will need to reset the maintenance light.

To Reset the Light:
1.- Hold the button "RESET" in the right of the instrument panel in the dashboard.
2.- Turn the Key to position II "Ignition" (Dash light up, Don´t start the car)
3.- Wait until the Maintenance Light goes off
4.- Turn the Key back to "Off" and remove it to be sure.
5.- Start the car and the light should now be off.

FYI: Key has 3 positions: OFF, I and II
Off: Key is inserted but not turned
I: Accessory (Radio will come On)
II: Ignition (Ready to Start the Car).

Now its important to notice that the Maintenance Light is only there for the Engine Oil Change Intervals! It has nothing to do with the ECU or OBDII Codes which tell something is wrong with the car.. The Check Engine Light:

Tells that there is something wrong with the car.

Maintenance Required Light:

Is to change engine oil only.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most likely the Cleaner probably confused the Oxy sensors.

But maintenance light means get your oil changed for sure. You should always take it in for that.
BTW It is odd that it 'vanished', that light starts flashing if you ignore it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for very informant replies. With the Acura, I miss the simplicity of my Dodge Dakota OBD - turn the key on and off 3 times and the code will read out on the odometer. Glad to know the Maintenance light is for oil change and I will visit AutoZone tomorrow for their free OBD of the Engine light.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
FWIW, one of the best investments you can make for your car is a bluetooth OBD "dongle" and an app for your phone that allows you to read OBD info.

My favorite (if your phone is a Droid) is the Torque app. There's a free version as well, but the full featured app is a whopping $5, and lets you do all kinds of amazing things, like create custom dashboards, monitor real-time parameters like O2 sensor status, timing advance, fuel/air mixture, etc., and of course it reads and resets OBD error codes, and shows you the status of your readiness indicators (which are what passes or fails you at the DMV). It also has a pretty nice lookup feature for researching the OBD codes it reports... handy. The "dongle" is pretty much dirt cheap as well - here's the last one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5G53ZM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No more standing in line to get an auto parts store guy to read your codes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her MDX has a Motorola thing stuck to the dash next to the Nav screen and it.s wired into the dash. It has buttons and if I push one, a ladies voice tells me there is nothing hooked up. There's another part hanging from near the driver side visor. Could either of these be a dongle? We have iPhones and that app sounds REALLY cool! I'll do some checking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The photo appears to be for handsfree phone use.

The Torque app won't work on an iphone, nor will the dongle I listed. There are very similar options for an iphone, though (of course) they're quite a bit more expensive... the iphone apparently won't support a bluetooth dongle, but has to use a wifi dongle.

Heck, it's probably cheaper to buy a used or el cheapo droid phone and use it for just monitoring your car. ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I love about the MDXer forum. Always helping others. One of the Dodge Dakota forums I USED to visit, some of the posters were more into beating you up if you didn't have a degree in rocket science to work on your engine. I ask - what good is a forum if you're a know-it-all PIA?

Great info - thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New yet odd development - the car stalls while driving. When she approaches a stop light or slows to turn into a driveway, the engine will stall. It starts right back up and she continues on. It doesn't do it repeatedly but it has done it more than on one occasion.
Thoughts…other than take it in to get the code read.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Definitely get that code read, sounds like that cleaner really messed something up.

Or you need a Valve Adjustment ($300).
It's a Honda after all and their valves go out of alignment every 100k

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AutoZone here I come to get the OBD code read.

Something simple like a clogged fuel filter was my idea of a good answer!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife now says the engine was diving BEFORE I put the injector cleaner in.
AutoZone…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not as bad as it could have been. I hope.
Error Code P1456 EVAP System Leak Detected. No other error codes showed up.
Apparently the trap door in the filler neck is leaking or not closing tightly.
Is this a factory repair or can a DIY mechanic like me handle this?

Alrighty then - I read more posts on the same issue and we'll try the gas cap. Now how do I turn the CEL off?!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Upon further review, the little spring loaded door in the filler tube is gone - or at least it's not visible. I put my finger in and felt nothing. My Dakota I can see the door quite easily. Apparently broke off?. Hmmmm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts