Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 MDX and the bumpers are much darker than the body panels. Anyone else notice this with their Lunar Silver MDX? I didn't notice it when I purchased because the car was inside and not out in natural light, but in sunlight it looks pretty bad. Just curious if anyone else notices the same thing or if mine is out of spec.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Usually the PLASTIC bumpers don't match the METAL bodies too well. On top of that, some cars have been repainted because they get damaged at the dock, during shipping, or at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Usually the PLASTIC bumpers don't match the METAL bodies too well. On top of that, some cars have been repainted because they get damaged at the dock, during shipping, or at the dealership.
Almost every color has the same problem. My red doesn't match from certain angles. Sometimes it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know there is always some mismatch, but I suspect mine was repainted. Looking around at other cars (silver from other manufacturers) the bumpers on my MDX aren't very well done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 2016 Lunar Silver seems to be a perfect match. I did notice some other imperfections in the build quality but at least bumper matches the body color perfectly.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It might be worth finding another Lunar Silver MDX, perhaps on the dealer lot, parking right next to it at the same angle, and comparing the difference in your hues to the difference in that one's hues. If there's a marked difference, i.e. that the other one matches much more closely than yours, you should raise this issue with the dealer to find out if yours was repainted for some reason.

But - this is likely just the difference between the plastic and the metal and looking at it from a particular angle depending on the light source. This is why some people might think theirs is okay but someone else not - it really depends on the light and sight angles and whether you're really paying attention to it or not.

There's a good chance that what you're seeing is 'normal'.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if this is still the case but I am pretty sure in the old days the paint used for plastic components such as the bumper and the main body are different as the paint for the plastic has additives to withstand the flexing of the plastic. I have a white GTR and you can definitely see the difference between the bumpers and the main body and also the gas cover which is plastic.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Oh no you're starting to sound like an Acura employee!
Yeah I know - I was just trying to give a heads-up that there's a good chance this "it's normal" is what they'll say - but then from what I've read here, that's the top response from Acura on many things.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
There is a flex agent added to the paint that is applied to bumpers. This additive does change the mix ever so slightly.

But more so, because the paint used is not the same, bumpers are painted separately from the rest of the vehicle. So that additive isn't even going in the same "batch" of paint. And additive or not, paint color/metal flake consistency can vary slightly from batch to batch.

And yes...this is normal. Almost every mass produced vehicle is painted this way with the bumpers being separated from the rest of the body in the paint process.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Silver is a tough color to match bumpers to metal/body.

I've had this issue on other silver cars from Audi, VW, Honda, etc.

Incidentally my MDX (dark grey) looks okay.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is a flex agent added to the paint that is applied to bumpers. This additive does change the mix ever so slightly.

But more so, because the paint used is not the same, bumpers are painted separately from the rest of the vehicle. So that additive isn't even going in the same "batch" of paint. And additive or not, paint color/metal flake consistency can vary slightly from batch to batch.

And yes...this is normal. Almost every mass produced vehicle is painted this way with the bumpers being separated from the rest of the body in the paint process.
That and the fact that the Honda's paint and process is of low quality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My silver matches pretty well. When looking at it, there is nothing to suggest a color mismatch - all within normal limits. And I am picky when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That and the fact that the Honda's paint and process is of low quality.
Not entirely true. Paint finish is way way better on vehicles that come out of Marysville. And that plant cranks out way more vehicles a year than the Alabama plant that makes the MDX.

The all Japan made RLX has absolutely perfect paint. Never see flaws in that car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not entirely true. Paint finish is way way better on vehicles that come out of Marysville. And that plant cranks out way more vehicles a year than the Alabama plant that makes the MDX.

The all Japan made RLX has absolutely perfect paint. Never see flaws in that car.
Unfortunately ours are not made in either of those places, even if they were Honda's paint quality is still one of the lowest in the industry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
paint

thats ridiculous..it doesn't match at all. silver is hard to match but that looks like a completely different color. The metallics do change hue in sun but that isn't eve the same tone

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's actually indeed a very subjective matter, can't simply rely on this MDX photo to say anything. The squares below are in fact of the same color - gray. Don't believe me? Cover an area where these cubes meet by the finger, while leaving the rest of the image above and below.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts