Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Seawall - is your MDX and A-Spec? There was a post where a few months back about a design flaw in the A-Spec lumbar support design.
No it’s the base model, but I don’t believe the seats are any different, aside from color and style of leather.

I believe I know how to fix it though. I’m planning on taking pics and I’ll post a tutorial.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I seem to have rattled the right cages at the dealership since someone called me today with what seemed to be genuine concern about my experience. He even sent a loaner car out and had my car picked up without me having to go to the dealership (again). I'm feeling hopeful that there might actually be a resolution here. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes PM me for contact info.
I can try and guide you thru the fix. It seems to be mostly MDX A-Specs for some reason, some on RDX too.
Or just tell the tech to reach out to me.
Can’t throw my email out there publicly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine got done. “Replaced defective lumbar support.” Only been 20 miles but I bounced all over the seat and drove pretty aggressively, feels just fine now. Fingers crossed.

(They could not duplicate the odd transmission noise I mentioned but did note the file.)
7484F93B-8566-4E25-9F9B-B9282B3E699D.jpeg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mine got done. “Replaced defective lumbar support.” Only been 20 miles but I bounced all over the seat and drove pretty aggressively, feels just fine now. Fingers crossed.

(They could not duplicate the odd transmission noise I mentioned but did note the file.) View attachment 113489 View attachment 113489
Thanks for the update! They are planning on replacing the lumbar mechanism, but I also reached out to member ECR just in case that doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had this problem, to fix it remove your rear seat cover, the seat tabs are up top so pull down then bend the back of the seat cover. Once removed, you'll see on the bottom of the mechanism that there is a black plastic tab on each side, left and right. Put a piece of cut yoga mat from Five and Below on each one and that should fix it, at least it did for mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Welp, vehicle was finally returned today and the lumbar support is SILENT. Doesn't matter what position it's in, doesn't matter how I shift my weight, not a creak, pop or wiggle to be felt. They also discovered the source of the rattle in the second row (the headliner had a clip that wasn't fully seated) and they road force balanced all of my tires as they detected a slight vibration that they think was causing the wiggle in my second row seat back (which is what I had thought was the source of some noise). Driving it home was blissful -- absolutely silent and buttery smooth. I wish it handled as nicely as the RDX loaner I had for so long, but all-in-all, it's got a far more plush feel. I'm a happy camper for the first time since I traded in my Highlander!

Big thanks to everyone who chipped in and those who suggested fixes -- particularly, @usmarinedelta and @ECR. You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear it! I only had the RDX loaner for a weekend, and it was a nice enough and fun car, but a little choppier ride and somewhat noisier. Getting back in the MDX felt like the quiet solid luxury car feel I wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up my 2019 A-Spec from the dealer last night, the tech replaced lumber support mech. On a short drive home haven’t heard or felt any movement or noise. So far so good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My MDX is a few weeks old and I’ve had some problems with the dealership's service department already, so I’m trying my best to avoid having to go back there yet again - but I’m noticing that the lumbar support mechanism is really noisy. It creaks and pops as my weight presses against it. It doesn't seem to matter how it's adjusted. Functionally, it seems OK, it's just annoying feeling something shifting in the seat back. If I completely retract it, there's no noise at all, so I don't think it's the leather itself.

Anyone else notice the same? I’m wondering if there's some kind of a TSB I can reference when I go back there. I know how dealerships typically respond to cosmetic stuff like this.... and honestly, I'm not even sure that I trust their techs enough to be pulling apart any more of my interior, as they've already proven to be less than meticulous.
Very first thing I did before driving home was adjust the seat and lumbar. Mine does not make any noise but it also does not stick out as much as I would want. The seats are comfortable though, no complaints.

If yours is making that much noise, I would take it back to the dealer. I have not been to the Acura dealer service department yet, has to be better than at my local Honda service dept.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very first thing I did before driving home was adjust the seat and lumbar. Mine does not make any noise but it also does not stick out as much as I would want. The seats are comfortable though, no complaints.

If yours is making that much noise, I would take it back to the dealer. I have not been to the Acura dealer service department yet, has to be better than at my local Honda service dept.
Thanks. I did that and eventually the dealer replaced the lumbar mechanism. All had been well up until the last couple of days and now the creaking has returned (much less obtrusive, however).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Welp, I opened it up again and took a close look. First off, I'm fairly certain there is now a different mechanism installed. It doesn't look like I remember it and there are channels in the foam that nothing rests in. Secondly, there are two springs that hold the mechanism against the seat back - they flex with the rider and they are literally metal on metal. The only things that I could see making a noise would be the mechanism against the seat back and the springs. So, I put heat shrink around the spring ends, used my heat gun to smooth it out against the metal. I popped them back in again and try as I might, there are no sounds. I also stuck a microfiber towel between the seat back and the mechanism. I haven't had a chance to take her for a spin yet, but my preliminary tests just shifting around in my seat seem to indicate I got it.

The only other thing I can think of is that where the sliding mechanism presses up against the frame of the lumbar support, there is a bit of silicone grease of some kind (it's not the typical Shin-Etsu you see in Hondas, but a clear lube). It's not exactly liberally applied and I'm thinking adding some more lube might help. But I'll report in and let you all know. At least it's not difficult to access!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
^^ Acura should hire you as a consulting engineer to address this problem.
They really should. I just ripped out the blind spot monitoring system the dealer craptastically installed too. That involved taking the whole damned bumper off, siliconing all the holes closed, chasing the wiring harness through the body and removing every blessed wire tire the moron used. The only thing I can't get out is the indicator lights, which he appears to have GLUED in (they're supposed to be held with a retaining ring at the back). I'll need new A-Pillar trim pieces, which I just told the dealership they owe me. And $700 (the retail value of the BSM system).

·
Registered
31 Posts
2019 Tech here - I am also feeling this popping when my lumbar support is inflated and I take off/stop. For those who have both brought it to the dealer AND attempted to fix it yourself, myself being an untrusting individual, would you recommend I just skip the dealer attempt the fixes described by ECM, usmarinedelta, and seawall?

This is the kind of thread/forum I wish I had read before pulling the trigger on the MDX over the Highlander Limited. I too get the choppy/clunky shifting in the 30-45mph range, which kind of annoys/worries me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
2019 Tech here - I am also feeling this popping when my lumbar support is inflated and I take off/stop. For those who have both brought it to the dealer AND attempted to fix it yourself, myself being an untrusting individual, would you recommend I just skip the dealer attempt the fixes described by ECM, usmarinedelta, and seawall?

This is the kind of thread/forum I wish I had read before pulling the trigger on the MDX over the Highlander Limited. I too get the choppy/clunky shifting in the 30-45mph range, which kind of annoys/worries me.
Perhaps your Acura dealer is more competent than mine. I'd say it's worth at least asking. If their proposed fix is to replace the mechanism, I'd recommend that you push back and tell them to look at the bottom part of the assembly where it makes contact with the seat frame. Adding a bit of foam tape in that area as a buffer is all that's needed to fix the problem (in my experience). Mine has been completely trouble free since doing that.

I feel your pain regarding the Highlander. I came out of a lease of a 2016 Highlander XLE (basically the same model as what Toyota is currently selling, sans a minor facelift). The difference in quality all around is remarkable. There are so many minor defects on my MDX, readily apparent to the untrained eye, I can't imagine what lies beneath the surface. And that's before the dealership damaged my vehicle installing aftermarket blind spot sensors (but that's a whole 'nother story). I have zero confidence in this vehicle. I'm pretty sure my Highlander would have taken me to hell and back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update: There is now apparently a TSB out for this issue, according to the svc mgr at my dealership. He said the TSB instructs the dealer to wrap the lumbar support frame with foam tape. They fixed this for me today along with a factory ECU reset to help with my transmission issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update: There is now apparently a TSB out for this issue, according to the svc mgr at my dealership. He said the TSB instructs the dealer to wrap the lumbar support frame with foam tape. They fixed this for me today along with a factory ECU reset to help with my transmission issue.

Cheers!
Yep, that's basically what I did back in September and it's been flawless since.

The transmission seems to be improving the longer I've driven the car. I have tried the ECU reset, but am not convinced it actually worked as I didn't hear a "beep" as was mentioned by another poster. I may ask the dealer to do that for me when I finally take it in for its first oil change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, that's basically what I did back in September and it's been flawless since.

The transmission seems to be improving the longer I've driven the car. I have tried the ECU reset, but am not convinced it actually worked as I didn't hear a "beep" as was mentioned by another poster. I may ask the dealer to do that for me when I finally take it in for its first oil change.
Yeah I told the svc mgr I attempted the reset with the 30s gas pedal press while in acc mode and he said he’s not sure that actually does anything. Who knows. If you got the car new, the “learning period” for the trans is supposedly 500 miles.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts