Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX is a few weeks old and I’ve had some problems with the dealership's service department already, so I’m trying my best to avoid having to go back there yet again - but I’m noticing that the lumbar support mechanism is really noisy. It creaks and pops as my weight presses against it. It doesn't seem to matter how it's adjusted. Functionally, it seems OK, it's just annoying feeling something shifting in the seat back. If I completely retract it, there's no noise at all, so I don't think it's the leather itself.

Anyone else notice the same? I’m wondering if there's some kind of a TSB I can reference when I go back there. I know how dealerships typically respond to cosmetic stuff like this.... and honestly, I'm not even sure that I trust their techs enough to be pulling apart any more of my interior, as they've already proven to be less than meticulous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s the same on my 19 tech. I had it into the dealer a few weeks ago and it was on the list of things to be looked at. They replaced the lumbar support which made it better, but it’s still not right. I need to get it back in again, but have been too busy.

I notice it more at stop/go. It almost feels like the leather is shifting against the lumbar bladder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I notice it more at stop/go. It almost feels like the leather is shifting against the lumbar bladder.
I would tend to agree. My wife's '18 TLX uses a similar seat, but different mechanism (the height of the lumbar support is not adjustable). Hers also occasionally makes noise, but you don't feel it move like I do in the MDX. And when it's fully extended, it doesn't make any noise at all.

I wish I could transplant the superb seats from my '16 Highlander into this vehicle. They weren't quite as plush, but they made no noise and were very comfortable.

I also noticed that my 2nd row passenger-side seat back rattles and shakes over bumps. I guess that goes on the list as well. Quality control is not what it used to be at Honda, IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having the same thing here. 2019 Tech, only about 6 weeks old. It felt like the toddler behind me was kicking the seat. Wife thought I was crazy for fussing at him when he was asleep... oops. Glad there are others with the same issue. I hope it can be resolved, it is very annoying, and easy to recreate by bouncing around just a little in the seat. Will definitely return to dealer and let them check it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still haven't gotten around to taking it in. It's been such an awful dealership experience thus far, I'm not all that inclined to take it back to this particular shop.... unfortunately, the next closest Acura dealer to me is about an hour away.

I also have a problem with rattling in the second row, passenger side seat back (I have the bench, not the captain's chairs). I can see it wobbling a bit on uneven roads and when it's significant enough, it rattles. Flip the seat back down flat and the noise goes away entirely. It seems like the seat is mounted good and tight, it's just that the seat back retention mechanism doesn't have a solid hold when it's set upright. That should be a fun one to try to explain to the dealer.

They were supposed to have ordered a replacement plastic trim piece that they broke during the install of the blind spot sensors over a month ago. I was kind of waiting for them to call me when that part came in, but I think it's pretty clear they won't. So, I'm thinking I'll try to get it in for all of this stuff at once next week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally took it in today for a list of issues, this being one of them. I'll let you know what I hear back. I told them to keep it until everything was made right and they sent me home with an RDX (which is much more fun to drive, by the way.... they can keep my MDX for as long as they want it!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just looking in here for updates as mine goes in tomorrow and I'd love to be able to tell them what I've heard from others. Looking forward to a resolution.

There's also a weird intermittent "hoot" noise coming from the transmission somewhere between 30-40 mph. I cannot recreate with manual gear changes but am guessing it is on the 4-5 shift. It's not my primary concern right now, though I may mention it. The seat thing is my primary nemesis today, it's near constant now. Reserving judgment of the brand and hostility over the amount of money I spent... hoping the dealer service experience and a quick resolution can make me love the car again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's also a weird intermittent "hoot" noise coming from the transmission somewhere between 30-40 mph. I cannot recreate with manual gear changes but am guessing it is on the 4-5 shift. It's not my primary concern right now, though I may mention it. The seat thing is my primary nemesis today, it's near constant now. Reserving judgment of the brand and hostility over the amount of money I spent... hoping the dealer service experience and a quick resolution can make me love the car again.
That's funny. I have heard that noise as well, but I didn't think of it as being from the transmission in particular. There is a noise cancelling system on most Hondas and I guess I assumed that it may have been some kind of malfunction. At any rate, it seems to have resolved itself as I haven't heard it in a few weeks.

One transmission issue I do notice is that the first 3-4 shift in the morning after I start the car is hard. You can feel and hear it going into gear. After that, it shifts smoothly, but I'm wondering if others experience the same.

You'd think this platform would be pretty well refined by now, being 5 model years in, but it seems like they have some challenges for sure. I miss my 2016 Highlander.... that thing was bulletproof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, occasionally the transmission gets very confused in the 30-45 mph range. It's as if 9 speeds is too many... I think my driving has gotten smoother as I have learned to apply the throttle differently. I was burying my foot constantly to get ye olde minivan out of its way. Maybe I'll play more with comfort and/or sport modes and see if it feels more natural.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, occasionally the transmission gets very confused in the 30-45 mph range. It's as if 9 speeds is too many... I think my driving has gotten smoother as I have learned to apply the throttle differently. I was burying my foot constantly to get ye olde minivan out of its way. Maybe I'll play more with comfort and/or sport modes and see if it feels more natural.
Not to get too far off-topic, but I like the throttle response in sport mode a LOT better than 'Normal'. My understanding is that in Normal and Comfort at light throttle, it does a second gear start under light to moderate throttle. My only issue with keeping it in Sport all the time is I had how stiff the wheel gets. It doesn't feel natural at all to me.

I have an RDX at the moment, and it's like these two vehicles are from two completely different manufacturers. The RDX is so much more responsive in every measure. I'm hoping that once this lease is up, they'll have applied the same treatment to the MDX.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Not to get too far off-topic, but I like the throttle response in sport mode a LOT better than 'Normal'. My understanding is that in Normal and Comfort at light throttle, it does a second gear start under light to moderate throttle. My only issue with keeping it in Sport all the time is I had how stiff the wheel gets. It doesn't feel natural at all to me.
I set my 2014 to 'Sport' 6 years ago and haven't changed it since except one time to just test how the other settings felt. There's never a time I want less responsiveness hence why I keep it in Sport all the time. Note that the driving mode selection on a 2014 has no affect on suspension - only the other aspects. I don't know if it ties into the suspension on a hybrid or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi there,

I know the fix to your lumbar support creaking noise. I repaired about 3 that had this exact issue and replacing the lumbar will make no difference.
I was able to figure it out.
The plastic lumbar “cage” is rubbing against the seats metal frame incorrect clearance causes this noise. Adjusting the frame/cage making more clearance is the only way.
Have your dealer contact me if needed.
Its not a TSB as not enough cars have this issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there,

I know the fix to your lumbar support creaking noise. I repaired about 3 that had this exact issue and replacing the lumbar will make no difference.
I was able to figure it out.
The plastic lumbar “cage” is rubbing against the seats metal frame incorrect clearance causes this noise. Adjusting the frame/cage making more clearance is the only way.
Have your dealer contact me if needed.
Its not a TSB as not enough cars have this issue.
That'd be awesome. Is there an email address I could contact you on? Or even better, do you happen to have any pictures or a procedure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The technician didn't find anything wrong with the lumbar support. He said unless there's a TSB, they can't just swap parts. So, in essence, it's a "just deal with it" as expected. Same goes for the 2nd row seat back that's wobbling and rattling. Same goes for my aftermarket blind spot sensors (though I do believe some attempt was made to actually tune or calibrate it). In essence, I just have to live with it.

So, if anyone has a procedure to address this nonsense, I'm all ears. I'll just DIY because these guys clearly don't care about making a customer happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The technician didn't find anything wrong with the lumbar support. He said unless there's a TSB, they can't just swap parts. So, in essence, it's a "just deal with it" as expected. Same goes for the 2nd row seat back that's wobbling and rattling. Same goes for my aftermarket blind spot sensors (though I do believe some attempt was made to actually tune or calibrate it). In essence, I just have to live with it.

So, if anyone has a procedure to address this nonsense, I'm all ears. I'll just DIY because these guys clearly don't care about making a customer happy.
That’s crazy, I had the unit replaced with just a complaint, granted it’s going back because it didn’t fix it, but still I wouldn’t accept that answer from the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s crazy, I had the unit replaced with just a complaint, granted it’s going back because it didn’t fix it, but still I wouldn’t accept that answer from the dealer.

Thanks for sharing. I actually opened up a case with Acura on it. We'll see where they go.

I'm starting to realize that this dealership is just poorly managed and really needs some attention from corporate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the car back and as expected the tech didn’t even touch it. You could tell because everywhere he did touch, there were obvious dirty fingerprints. That said, I popped the back of the seat off and took a close look at the mechanism. I didn’t see where it would make contact with the seat frame. It is a completely free-floating part with no contact aside from the seat back. They have a ton of grease between the lumbar springs and the seat back, which is where I think the noise/creak feeling is coming from. I’m going to try to add some Shin-Etsu silicone grease there to see if it helps. Either way, it’s a poor design. The RDX loaner I had didn’t have any problems like this, so I suspect it’s a design unique to this model.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got the car back and as expected the tech didn’t even touch it. You could tell because everywhere he did touch, there were obvious dirty fingerprints. That said, I popped the back of the seat off and took a close look at the mechanism. I didn’t see where it would make contact with the seat frame. It is a completely free-floating part with no contact aside from the seat back. They have a ton of grease between the lumbar springs and the seat back, which is where I think the noise/creak feeling is coming from. I’m going to try to add some Shin-Etsu silicone grease there to see if it helps. Either way, it’s a poor design. The RDX loaner I had didn’t have any problems like this, so I suspect it’s a design unique to this model.
Seawall - is your MDX and A-Spec? There was a post where a few months back about a design flaw in the A-Spec lumbar support design.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
8 Participants
Some Guy
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing