Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again! Another newbie question.
Just bought a 2017 SH-AWD Tech. Need to buy a set of locking lug nuts. What are the thread dimensions(?) for this car?

Thanks, in advance

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
M14 x 1.5

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I'm assuming the wheel locks are for OEM rims? Are you going to purchase OEM wheel locks or something aftermarket? You have to double-check the wheel locks are made for OEM rims with "Ball" (rounded) seating area. I find aftermarket rims and wheel locks are Conical (straight edge) in shape. You can't mix aftermarket conical wheel locks with an OEM ball lug seating area.

I have aftermarket rim and had to purchase conical lugs and conical wheel locks for them. I kept one OEM rim as a full size spare; but, I also have to keep a set of OEM ball lugs to secure the spare if I ever need to use it. The only bad thing about OEM locking lug nuts is everyone has a key. Every tire shop I've gone to don't even ask me for the OEM lug key because they have plenty of copies floating around (Acura, Sears, Discount Tire, Firestone, Sams/Walmart, etc...). I have to let them know I upgraded to aftermarket rims and added Gorilla Automotive wheel locks with a unique key per lug set.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Mrgold35,

Hello, would the Acorn shaped locks work?
Acorn is the same of conical with the 60 degree straight taper. I don't know of a very good OEM ball type wheel lock other than what is offered by Acura. I upgraded the OEM rims on all three of my Acura to aftermarket wheels and added two separate wheel locks per rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Acorn is the same of conical with the 60 degree straight taper. I don't know of a very good OEM ball type wheel lock other than what is offered by Acura. I upgraded the OEM rims on all three of my Acura to aftermarket wheels and added two separate wheel locks per rim.
I see..thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts