Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about putting some lucas stop slip in my trans fluid, (warm weather) checked fluid, its fine
i would constantly feel the trans slip and clunk into first to second 70% of the time
even tho when i take off quick i still hear a clunk everytime, could that be suspension or a u-bolt? (some guy at work told me this)
anyway now its about 0-20 degrees fahrenheit (assuming the trans fluid will thicken) in the morning my mdx shifts fine and i barely hear any clunks....so im left with the thought to add a little stop slip, or should i change the fluid first?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have experience with the stop slip but I've thought that some additive may help. It was -1 degrees up here today and the transmission was not very happy. If it's been more than a couple years I'd try getting the transmission fluid flushed and try the other stuff as a last resort, I have heard some MDXers do a tranny flush every oil change (slight overkill). But yeah, new fluid will help rule out the possibility of water/contaminants in your system

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend you to avoid using Lucas, which is developed more for rough trucks, but not so gentle cars like Honda/Acura.
I'm using BG products in my 14 mdx.
Bg ATC PLUS is excellent conditioner for automatic trannies.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
FWIW, I don't think "slipping" is the problem in your case. It sounds more like a misbehaving shift solenoid, which usually causes a "flare" (essentially, the transmission feels like iit goes into neutral for a second or two between gears). If the shift - when it finally occurs - is very solid (bangs into gear) your transmission clutches aren't slipping, but something is commanding the transmission to do the wrong thing at the wrong time. In most transmissions with a flare, that's most often a gummed up shift solenoid, which happens because of the fine metallic parts being attracted to the internals of the solenoid, which is basically an electromagnet. I've never had to replace a solenoid on my MDX, but similar solenoids on an Odyssey I've worked on aren't expensive or hard to fix. Just do some research on 1-2 gear shift flares, and you'll probably find the info you need.

OTOH, the symptom of a "clunk" every time you take off fast sounds like a bad motor mount. You can usually identify which one is bad by watching the engine move when you put it in gear (open the hood and have someone move between R and D).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts