Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is for people who have replaced their 9006 low beams with either Stage 1 or 2 HIDS and are now in search of 9006 fogs bulbs that complement the HID low beams.

Please let us know what upgraded bulbs you are using in your fogs. (As you all know, it is embarassing to turn on your stock fog bulbs! They look so yellow, you wonder if they are sick or something! :D )

Are you happy with them? If not, why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sylvania Silverstars

I've been using Sylvania Silverstars for my fogs. They were a significant improvement over my stock bulbs.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lumiko bulbs

I like my Silverstars, but they still yellow in comparison to my HIDs. I mentioned this to Eric at Supreme Power Parts, and he told me about bulbs he recommends to use as fogs. They are made by a Lumiko. He claimed that they are whiter than the Silverstars and only cost $30/pair plus shipping.

So, I got some and decided to see how they stack up. Well, Eric was correct. They are indeed whiter than my Silverstars.

I've attached a picture that shows the Lumiko bulb on the right fog. (Driver side.) I'm afraid the picture does not do it justice.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
RFLAGG I LIKE THE PIAA ION YELLOW

THEY ARE A LITTLE COSTLY AT THE $89.99, BUT LOOK EXCELLENT. ALMOST APPEAR PURE WHITE, BUT FROM DRIVERS SEAT IT LOOKS YELLOW. FROM FACING THE BULB WHITE CENTER, YELLOW AND BLUE EDGES. REALLY UNIQUE.

MY LOWS ARE THE STAGE II FROM HIDSLESS.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
#2

#2
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
#3

#3
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
#4

#4
ANOTHER REASON I LIKE THE PIAA IS THAT THE WATTAGE IS 55 WATTS AS OPPOSED TO THE 51 WATT STOCK BULB. BE CAREFUL IF YOU REPLACE WITH HIGHER WATTAGE BULBS BECAUSE YOU COULD MELT THE PLASTIC HOUSING, ALSO THE WIRE HARNESS SHOULD BE REPLACED WHEN USING A HIGHER WATTAGE BULB.
IT OPENS A CAN OF WORMS ABOUT DRAWING TO MUCH FROM THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
#5

#5 IT'S A JAPANESE MADE BULB, HASN'T BEEN DOT APPROVED YET. CANNOT GET FROM A USA PIAA DEALER. THAT'S WHY IT SO EXPENSIVE.

THESE DEALERS CARRY IT.

http://www.autofreak.net/lightf.html
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Disappointed

I have to add my 2cents.

I am...or should I say WAS a big fan of the PIAA Yellow Ion Crystal fog light bulbs, but one of mine already burned out on me and it has been about a year or less since I've had them.
That's TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!

Their quality is AWESOME....but they do not last.
For the price to be so high, you would think they would last longer.

I am very disappointed in PIAA and do NOT recommend them.
Good luck to those who already have them. Hope your's last longer than mine.

That's the last time I spend that kind of money for fog light bulbs.

Lata'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
WHAT TYPE OF BULB DID YOU HAVE?

WAS IT A USA PIAA OR A JAPAN PIAA BULB? ALSO YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL AS TO NOT TOUCH THE BULB ITSELF, THE OIL ON YOUR SKIN WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE. i WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE AT PIAA THAT THEY DO NOT LAST AS LONG AS THE STOCK BULBS. THEY ARE VERY BRIGHT AND VERY WIDE BEAM. IT CAN BE COSTLY TO REPLACE EVERY YEAR, BUT IT ALSO DEPENDS HOW MUCH EVENING DRIVING THAT YOU ARE DOING. ALSO DO YOU LEAVE YOUR FOGS ON ALL THE TIME YOU DRIVE OR JUST USE THEM WHEN YOU NEED THEM? THERE ARE ALOT OF FACTORS TO CONSIDER ON BULB LIFE. I WOULDN'T JUST SAY PIAA'S ARE BAD BECAUSE ONE BULB GAVE YOU A SHORT LIFE, IT COULD OF BEEN A DEFECTIVE BULB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
plasma fogs

I have PIAA Super Plasmas (Japan only) in mine. I have them in the fogs b/c I originally had them in the lows until I got HIDs.

My HIDs are Ultinons (6000k) so it makes the SPs look muted b/c the HIDs are so bright. The SPs are 5000k and the stock is around 3000k so compared to stock, the SPs do match better. It's certainly not the yellow of stock bulbs.

I haven't seen the Plasma Ion Yellows in person but those are 2500k. It's somewhat close to the stock color so I didn't think it was worth it to pay all that $ for.

If I didn't already have the SPs, I would most likely have gone with a cost effective alternative like the Silverstars, rated at 4000k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: plasma fogs

dcmdx said:

If I didn't already have the SPs, I would most likely have gone with a cost effective alternative like the Silverstars, rated at 4000k.

I switched from the Silverstars to Lumiko. The Lumikos are whiter and brighter than the Silverstars. The Lumikos complement my HIDs nicely.


My .02 cents worth!

rflagg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
lumikos

I don't doubt that the Lumikos are whiter and brighter but the brightness is due to the fact that they are 80w.

The stock specs for lows and fogs are 55w. I hope you don't burn out your wiring system or even your fog lamp housing. At the very least, the Lumikos will not last that long b/c of the higher wattage. It's the same reason Razos burn out so fast.

Therefore, I still would have gone with the SS. Then again, perhaps having the SPs were a blessing in disguise since it's closer to the Ultinon color and it's 55w. It's just so darn expensive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: lumikos

dcmdx said:
I don't doubt that the Lumikos are whiter and brighter but the brightness is due to the fact that they are 80w.

The stock specs for lows and fogs are 55w. I hope you don't burn out your wiring system or even your fog lamp housing. At the very least, the Lumikos will not last that long b/c of the higher wattage. It's the same reason Razos burn out so fast.

Therefore, I still would have gone with the SS. Then again, perhaps having the SPs were a blessing in disguise since it's closer to the Ultinon color and it's 55w. It's just so darn expensive!
When I first saw the Lumiko specs that they are 80W, I too was concerned. I spoke to Eric at SPP and he said that they have had no problems with the increased wattage.

I also realize that when my low beams are on, I'll only be using the fogs about 10% of the time. So, I'm not worried about any potential negative effects.

I also don't care for the Silverstars. They are too yellow to suit me.

And for $30 a pair, they are a good deal.


rflagg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
Re: plasma fogs

dcmdx said:
I have PIAA Super Plasmas (Japan only) in mine. I have them in the fogs b/c I originally had them in the lows until I got HIDs.

My HIDs are Ultinons (6000k) so it makes the SPs look muted b/c the HIDs are so bright. The SPs are 5000k and the stock is around 3000k so compared to stock, the SPs do match better. It's certainly not the yellow of stock bulbs.

I haven't seen the Plasma Ion Yellows in person but those are 2500k. It's somewhat close to the stock color so I didn't think it was worth it to pay all that $ for.

If I didn't already have the SPs, I would most likely have gone with a cost effective alternative like the Silverstars, rated at 4000k.
I'M USING THE SUPER PLASMA 5000K BULBS FOR MY HIGH BEAMS AND THINK THEY ARE VERY CLOSE TO MY STAGE II 6000K LOW BEAMS. I'M USING THE PIAA ION YELLOW FOR MY FOGS, THEY ARE IN PIC'S ABOVE AND I LIKE ALOT BECAUSE WHEN YOU LOOK AT THEM HEAD ON THEY ARE MORE WHITE COLOR. ONLY FROM BEHIND THE WHEEL THEY LOOK YELLOW. MUCH WIDER AND BRIGHTER THAN STOCK BULB EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ONLY 2500K. JUST MY 2 CENTS. SUPER PLASMA ARE GREAT FOR MY HIGHS. THE COST IS A KILLER AT $129.99!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
flagg, I hear ya. 10% usage shouldn't do much harm and at $30, no big deal. It seems Sylvania doesn't do as good a job on their products as their competitors, like Philips and Hella. Sylvania's HIDs don't stack up as well. They are lesser in lumens and kelvin than their counterparts.

paul, the cost is a killer, esp. for the highs. I rarely use my highs except to warn others against speed traps once in a while. You probably have the ultimate combo of lights though. 2500k is ideal for fogs from a functional standpoint. I know some of us want the fogs to match the HIDs (including myself) but the fogs really work the best in yellow. I saw the pics of your SP highs and for some reason, mine don't look as close to the HIDs as yours do. It's probably the fog housing and reflector.

Bottom line: I'm sure all of our lights look unique and spectacular. Driving at night has never been more enjoyable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Re: WHAT TYPE OF BULB DID YOU HAVE?

paul123 said:
WAS IT A USA PIAA OR A JAPAN PIAA BULB? ALSO YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL AS TO NOT TOUCH THE BULB ITSELF, THE OIL ON YOUR SKIN WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE. i WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE AT PIAA THAT THEY DO NOT LAST AS LONG AS THE STOCK BULBS. THEY ARE VERY BRIGHT AND VERY WIDE BEAM. IT CAN BE COSTLY TO REPLACE EVERY YEAR, BUT IT ALSO DEPENDS HOW MUCH EVENING DRIVING THAT YOU ARE DOING. ALSO DO YOU LEAVE YOUR FOGS ON ALL THE TIME YOU DRIVE OR JUST USE THEM WHEN YOU NEED THEM? THERE ARE ALOT OF FACTORS TO CONSIDER ON BULB LIFE. I WOULDN'T JUST SAY PIAA'S ARE BAD BECAUSE ONE BULB GAVE YOU A SHORT LIFE, IT COULD OF BEEN A DEFECTIVE BULB.
They were Japan PIAA bulbs that I got from, guess where?
Autofreak. I definitely did not touch the bulbs with my hands or fingers. I took all the precautions in advance because I knew about the oil on your skin. Do not last as long as the stock bulbs, ya' got that right - LOL. I did not use the fog lights all of the time....normal use. I NEVER said these PIAA bulbs were bad I said that they were AWESOME in terms of qualty but they just DO NOT LAST, I was very DISAPPOINTED and due to these 2 reasons I do not recommend them to other MDX owners. If you are comfortable spending $90+ a YEAR...then more power to ya'. IMHO....it is a waste of money. Once again, good luck to those you have them...I hope they last longer for you. Just PLEASE keep in mind that these particular bulbs last about a year.

Happy MDXing.
:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: WHAT TYPE OF BULB DID YOU HAVE?

Acura4Life said:
Just PLEASE keep in mind that these particular bulbs last about a year.
I was well aware of these bulbs lasting for a year. That was what they told me at autofreak when I purchased. I really have no problem of a year and don't think that is a short life for the quality of the light. Comparing to a stock bulb that is short, but not comparing with a high performance bulb. Somethings in life you have to spend more for and sometimes they don't last as long as less expensive items. I will be very happy with 1 year of usage.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Fog light bulbless

Well...I'm still fog light bulbless.....

I've been reading all the posts here and I am thinking about getting the Philips Bluevision bulbs. I guess....

Does anyone have a link to where I can get a good price on these?

I would like something that has the stock wattage (55w) but also gives a little blue color too. Something to compliment my xenon lows but are not too expensive.

Any help?
I'm lost.....time to go to Kmart ?!

As always...Happy MDXing
:D
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top