Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! This is my first post to this forum. I've been wondering if anyone has lowered their MDX. I'm interested in this as it might theoretically improve ride, handling, mileage, etc. What do you think?

I forsee two ways to do this - one is with shorter springs, the other is with lower profile tires. Are there any aftermarket springs recommended? Is this a common mod? I don't plan on doing any offroading.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
cmb13 said:
Hi there! This is my first post to this forum. I've been wondering if anyone has lowered their MDX. I'm interested in this as it might theoretically improve ride, handling, mileage, etc. What do you think?

I forsee two ways to do this - one is with shorter springs, the other is with lower profile tires. Are there any aftermarket springs recommended? Is this a common mod? I don't plan on doing any offroading.

Thanks!
:welcome: cmb13. This is not a very common mod. I believe I have only heard of one member who did this. One of the reasons people buy an suv is the higher ride height.

I would not use a different wheel/tire diameter than stock. This may cause problems with the VSA, etc. If you use shorter springs, I would think the entire suspension would have to be replaced due to the weight of the vehicle.

Do a search on "lowering" and see if that gets you some hits. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Re: Re: Lowering the MDX

phins2rt said:

:welcome: cmb13. This is not a very common mod. I believe I have only heard of one member who did this. One of the reasons people buy an suv is the higher ride height.

The latest thing showing up around here is lowered pickup trucks. Talk about useless........:headshake

·
Registered
568 Posts
cmb13 said:

Thanks!
I think there was one person on this board who lowered their MDX with H&R Honda Odyssey springs. I actually am waiting on a set myself. The shop I ordered them from says that they're on backorder and is still waiting for H&R to send them out. I don't know if this is B.S. or what, but I know I don't have them yet.

I'm pretty sure lowering it would improve the handling, but not too much else.

·
Registered
228 Posts
better handling, stiffer ride. don't expect the stock struts to last too long if you go with lowering springs. you'll need to go with aftermarket ones eventually and pay for installation all over again.

i have no idea how the vsa functions, but i've never had it on any other car either, so life won't end if you have to drive without it. (actually, considering what it does, maybe...... but you know what i mean) having said that, WTF would you want to go with smaller diameter wheels for??? whether it's smaller rims or lower pro tires, it'll look ghey on the mdx if that's how you plan on lowering.

you didn't mention why you wanted the lower ride. but if it's for looks, drop the x and go with 255/45s on 18s for a decent ride.

as for him lowering the x, let him do what he wants, it's his car. personally, i'm curious to see how it turns out. :2:

btw, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'm only talking about 2-3 inches; I'm not trying for a ghetto low-rider look. Seems like a pretty unpopular thing to do, though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The memeber who lowered was ME! Yah It worked really good, I had 19 inch rims and lowered it to kill the gap. Its very clean looking and IMO handles much better.

The MDX
Before Drop

After Drop

My New Ride

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The drop looks good.......except for the dirty wheel wells. Just playing. ;)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Are there any repurcussions on your warranty by lowering. I would not mind having mine lowered 2 inches so that it would make it easier for my son to transfer from his wheelchair into the vehicle. What was the approximate cost?

G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, that's what I'm looking for. A few inches down, a little better handling. Can you tell us how you did it and what products were necessary? New springs only? What brand? Finally, how much did it all cost?

Thanks!

cmb13

·
Registered
421 Posts
There are no problem with lowering the X. I live in AL and my MDX now has 85K miles on it, its been lowered since 25K. The struts are in good condition everything is great. The Spring were bought from
http://www.optauto.com ,Search for Honda Odyssey and you'll find the H&R kit. Its just lowering springs. I paid $150 to have it installed and I also got a allianment to make sure everything was good. If you guys have any more questions just let me know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow! you are really into lowering things, eh? You even lowered the basketball rim there! :2:

JL889 said:
The memeber who lowered was ME! Yah It worked really good, I had 19 inch rims and lowered it to kill the gap. Its very clean looking and IMO handles much better.

The MDX
Before Drop

After Drop

·
Registered
228 Posts
got another pic of the drop? i'd love to see it in daylight from a lower side shot...... in a perfect world. :D

looking good otherwise. the rh's look niiiice. how's the ride on them 19s?

·
Registered
421 Posts

Heres a pic from Nopi Last year.

The 19's rode great. I still got em. Anyone wanna buy em from me. The MDX since has been stripped down and is stock and now belongs to www.jtreeproperties.com So its all gravy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
tempting..... i was looking at 18s, but those 19's are looking good. would look odd without a drop tho.

what tire size and of course, what price? if not me, i'm sure others are interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lowering your MDX looks cool but what about tire wear? I do not recall that the rear camber on these cars are adjustable so excessive tire wear on the inner edges will occur. Did you install a camber kit in the rear?

·
Registered
421 Posts
They come with 245/45/19 Pirelli Pzero Tires. They are Racing Hart S15 and have everything with em. No knicks nothing perfect condition. Tires have 80% of tire left on em. If you pick them up i'll sell them for $1500 with tires. If not i'll have to charge shipping fees. Lowering the X didn't cause my wear problems. the S15's were on their second set of tires after 30K miles. I had an alliangment done when I lowered it. If anyone is intrested just give me a PM or e-mail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts