Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use low profiles tires on the base alloy wheels? Something like 235/45/17. I just don't like the relatively small selection available for the stock size. There is a big a selection of low profile, really good tires for 17", I just wonder. I know the speedo might be off some, but I would still consider them if the ride was decent and the tire was better than the Goodyear Integrities.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Wouldn't go Low Profile

Whenever I modified to low profile I gave up the smooth ride and the durability of the drive. It will be much firmer over bumps and forget about off-roading with the low profiles. If you have super flat roads in your state and never going off road you might want to consider, but here in New York forget about it!!!! With the pot holes and bumps here the rim would be shot in days or minutes!!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I always like to keep the 'rolling diameter' the same when I change profiles.

tirerack.com has excellent info on these matters- click over to the 'specs' section on any tire and it will give you all the dimensions, ratings, recommended rim sizes, footprint widths, overall tire widths, etc.

I agree with Paul- I'd never give up profile on a SUV or (real) truck (someone had posted about 20" wheels being 'too small')

You are correct, though- not many choices for a 17x6.5 rim....

Ard

·
Registered
446 Posts
Calculator web site

This was posted a long time ago but I saved this link and it comes in handy when trying to "up" size. I have wheels and tires coming today from the www.tirerack.com for my daughter's Mazda Protege. Went from 13 to 14's but keep the same rolling diameter.

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Niles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts