Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a low oil message warning last week. The indicator still had 60% life left, but the engine was about 2.5-3 quarts low. It didnt even register on the dipstick until I added the 3rd quart! The MDX has been to the dealer several times over the last 18 months, once for a differential and AT fluid change, and twice for an air conditioner issue covered under warranty. I looked through my service records which seem to indicate that the Oil has not been changed since 24k and I?m now at 43k!

The engine seems fine (no noises / leaks / performance issues) but I?m concerned the maintenance minder still showed 60% life and I?m guessing there was only about 1-2 quarts left in the engine based on what I put in. I suspect that it was inadvertently reset during one of my visits to the dealership.

Lesson learned - never rely on the maintenance minder alone, and check status before and after every visit to he dealer!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which one do you have, a 2010-2013? If so welcome to the oil burning club. Do not rely on the low oil message b/c that's low oil pressure, not level, which is why it took to over two quarts low to get a warning.

Might want to move to a 5-30 weight oil and start checking the dipstick 1,500-2000 miles into an oil change, that's when the burning usually picks up. Ignore the maintenance minder and start changing the oil more frequently, every 5K or so.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
you might also want to change your oil more regularly like every 3500 to 5000 miles?...

NOT every 20,000 + miles!!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
695 Posts
you might also want to change your oil more regularly like every 3500 to 5000 miles?...

NOT every 20,000 + miles!!!! :laugh:
Exactly....that is more than likely a contributing factor

·
Registered
162 Posts
I cant blame the OP for a 20K miles OCI.... he brought the DX to the dealer over time.. an oil change should one of the first things on their radar.. or someone at the dealer drop the ball.. and an OCI was claimed to be done and it wasnt....
DYI.. DYI...DYI...
Although, I do realize not everyone has the room / tools / time / resources to do oil changes at home.

But 20k..!!! OMG its amazing the engine hasent choked on a clogged oil intake..
yeah.. check oil level at every other fill up..
J.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You should check your oil level at the very least once every month...
The owners manual even specifies it to do so at every fill up.

What I am more concerned is the fact someone reset the OCI (Oil change interval) without actually changing the Engine Oil... Needing 3quarts for the level to come back up is not only excessive, is borderline empty as the engine fills with less than 4.3q so you were running it almost empty! I suspect long life span is shortened due to that. I would do a complete oil change now as the little oil it was left is probably way too worn out to be usable.

My best recommendation is to: NEVER NEGLECT YOUR DIPSTICK EVER AGAIN!
Check OIL LEVELs at least once every month!! and do not ever allow the engine to run that starved of oil, The J37 is way too finicky as is to running it dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback. I?ll definitely be more on top of this moving forward. I am an avid DIYer but when it comes to oil, it?s just easier to have the dealer do it since they?re always running promotions that make it cost effective for them to do it (with hopes of up-selling more services I?m sure).

The dealer just did it for $29.95 and have agreed to do an oil consumption test after 1K miles. Since the drivetrain warranty still applies, if they find anything wrong it will likely be covered.

I?m usually very good about checking oil level / condition etc. but with three cars, a motorcycle, a boat and two kids to contend with, it can all get a bit overwhelming!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a low oil message warning last week. The indicator still had 60% life left, but the engine was about 2.5-3 quarts low. It didnt even register on the dipstick until I added the 3rd quart! The MDX has been to the dealer several times over the last 18 months, once for a differential and AT fluid change, and twice for an air conditioner issue covered under warranty. I looked through my service records which seem to indicate that the Oil has not been changed since 24k and I?m now at 43k!

The engine seems fine (no noises / leaks / performance issues) but I?m concerned the maintenance minder still showed 60% life and I?m guessing there was only about 1-2 quarts left in the engine based on what I put in. I suspect that it was inadvertently reset during one of my visits to the dealership.

Lesson learned - never rely on the maintenance minder alone, and check status before and after every visit to he dealer!
Have you had any problems with the car since adding 3 quarts of oil? My oil low level message warning came on, but not the indicator light. I have only driven 4200 miles. I added 2 quarts and it barely read. I got overzealous and then added 2 more quarts and when hot the oil level is only inbetween the lines. I'm wondering if I was running without oil?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Why 5w-30 when recommended is 5w-20? Also why do you change at 10k when Synthetic can go easily to 15k miles?
wow, every day I learn something new

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Also why do you change at 10k when Synthetic can go easily to 15k miles?
Extended intervals with synthetic oils are largely a debunked myth. While synthetic is a better oil and does a better job in lubricating the engine, it has very little to do with extending the oil change interval.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Extended intervals with synthetic oils are largely a debunked myth. While synthetic is a better oil and does a better job in lubricating the engine, it has very little to do with extending the oil change interval.
Interesting, haven't read anything on extended intervals being a debunked myth, any links?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ive done 15k on my Mobil 1 Extended Performance for around 10 years now on my TL-S with no problems (Lab Tested). Done the same with the MDX but now using Annual Protection which should EASILY hands down do 15K with absolutely no problems…. Also we use 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 because it tends to evaporate less in the J37 is also more widely available in the 5q jugs for cheap.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Interesting, haven't read anything on extended intervals being a debunked myth, any links?

I can go on.

In my experience even using one of the highest quality synthetic oils (which is gas based Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-20) by the time the maintenance minder prompts for the oil change, when I check the oil, it's definitely heavily contaminated. Note that my car doesn't burn oil between the changes, and my recent opening of the head covers revealed the valvetrain to be in almost immaculate condition. So, it just works.

Honestly, with the current oil prices (USD $25 per a 5L jug) I don't get why this is still a discussion. The maintenance minder for the oil changes comes up every 4-5K miles, which makes it on average 2-3 oil changes a year, which don't come up to even a hundred bucks filter included. It's basically twice cheaper than 1 month worth of insurance or two weeks worth of gas. This is a negligible expense, and at the same time it's the easiest way to prolong your vehicle's life.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I can go on.

In my experience even using one of the highest quality synthetic oils (which is gas based Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-20) by the time the maintenance minder prompts for the oil change, when I check the oil, it's definitely heavily contaminated. Note that my car doesn't burn oil between the changes, and my recent opening of the head covers revealed the valvetrain to be in almost immaculate condition. So, it just works.

Honestly, with the current oil prices (USD $25 per a 5L jug) I don't get why this is still a discussion. The maintenance minder for the oil changes comes up every 4-5K miles, which makes it on average 2-3 oil changes a year, which don't come up to even a hundred bucks filter included. It's basically twice cheaper than 1 month worth of insurance or two weeks worth of gas. This is a negligible expense, and at the same time it's the easiest way to prolong your vehicle's life.
I checked all the links, nowhere it mentions that its a myth that Synthetic oils last longer(except for first one there also it says you can go till 15k miles), everyone more or less said go by what manufacturers recommend and what type of oil you are using.

Skirmich's experience only confirms it.

Price of the oil is just one part of the equation, throwing away good oil is not good for nature. Besides why stop at 5k miles, why not change every month $25 probably a good meal's price anyways.

Anyways to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ive done 15k on my Mobil 1 Extended Performance for around 10 years now on my TL-S with no problems (Lab Tested). Done the same with the MDX but now using Annual Protection which should EASILY hands down do 15K with absolutely no problems…. Also we use 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 because it tends to evaporate less in the J37 is also more widely available in the 5q jugs for cheap.
Interesting, i guess down south you you don't get very low temperatures and can use 5w30 safely.

Yes I do find it a little difficult to find Mobile EP 5w20 engine oil and yes its more expensive than 5w30, being in North I don't have an option :|

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I checked all the links, nowhere it mentions that its a myth that Synthetic oils last longer
First link quote:
Myth: If you use a good synthetic oil, you can change your oil less frequently.
The point of using high-quality synthetic oil is to take better care of the engine and reduce deposit formation, which may reduce power, performance, and fuel economy – rather than extending the drain interval. When it comes to how often change a full synthetic oil we recommend following a car manufacturer’s oil change intervals.

Second link quote:
While synthetic generally holds up better and can serve for more miles, it is equally important to not extend oil changes beyond the time interval recommended by the manufacturer—typically six months or a year if it is a motor that is not driven many miles or on many short trips

Third link quote:
Even synthetic oils are prone to contamination, so their use, while providing other benefits, doesn’t mean extended service intervals.

Fourth link quote:
Does that mean that if you use synthetic oil, you can drive without oil changes for 15,000 miles or longer and your engine will not wear? This is another myth.
When the oil level is low, the engine wears faster. Synthetic oil does last longer, but any mechanical device that has moving or rotating parts still wears. What happens to the products of wear? All the metal dust and by-products of oxidation mix with engine oil. Does the dirty oil have the same lubricating quality as the fresh new clean oil? Of course, not.

Besides why stop at 5k miles, why not change every month $25 probably a good meal's price anyways.
Because the vehicle's manufacturer designed the vehicle that way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How do you decide what is extended service interval? All the mentions need to be taken In a context instead of just taking them as mentioned. For MDX the manual does not say anything about the interval but rather to follow the minute minder, so if your minder tells you to change at 3k changing at 5k will be considered extended usage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Last reply was from mobile hence couldn't quote

inline is what you didnt quote from those same sites that you quoted, i rest my case

First link quote:
Myth: If you use a good synthetic oil, you can change your oil less frequently.
The point of using high-quality synthetic oil is to take better care of the engine and reduce deposit formation, which may reduce power, performance, and fuel economy – rather than extending the drain interval. When it comes to how often change a full synthetic oil we recommend following a car manufacturer’s oil change intervals.

Most of the automakers today require oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go up to 15,000 miles in some cars.

Second link quote:

While synthetic generally holds up better and can serve for more miles, it is equally important to not extend oil changes beyond the time interval recommended by the manufacturer—typically six months or a year if it is a motor that is not driven many miles or on many short trips
Some swear by the “every 3,000 miles or every 3 months” rule, but advances in engines and oil have made that guidance obsolete. Many automakers have oil-change intervals at 7,500 or even 10,000 miles and 6 or 12 months for time.

Third link quote:

Even synthetic oils are prone to contamination, so their use, while providing other benefits, doesn’t mean extended service intervals.
Some of these extensions can range up to 24,000 km between engine oil changes and even further on vehicles equipped with automated oil change reminder systems. By promising fewer maintenance services, car makers can offer lower operating costs giving them a leg up on the competition.
There’s no question that extended service intervals have a negative effect on repair shops’ bottom lines, but if your favourite mechanic is right in recommending more frequent visits, aren’t the carmakers risking losing customers due to premature power-train failures?

Fourth link quote:
Does that mean that if you use synthetic oil, you can drive without oil changes for 15,000 miles or longer and your engine will not wear? This is another myth.
When the oil level is low, the engine wears faster. Synthetic oil does last longer, but any mechanical device that has moving or rotating parts still wears. What happens to the products of wear? All the metal dust and by-products of oxidation mix with engine oil. Does the dirty oil have the same lubricating quality as the fresh new clean oil? Of course, not.
There were times when the engine oil was recommended to be changed every 3,000 miles. Gradually, car manufacturers extended the intervals to 5,000 then 8,000 and now in some cases to even 15,000 miles.
Longer oil change intervals became possible mostly thanks to dramatic improvement in the engine oil quality. Plus, many modern cars use synthetic oil that lasts longer.

Because the vehicle's manufacturer designed the vehicle that way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts