Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 MDX which is not driven a lot; currently may be about 200-300 miles a month, and has 22,250 miles on it. It's working just fine; no problems at all since I bought it, however I am am anxious to find out whether I should be doing some, or what preventive maintenance, like changing hoses, belts, etc, BEFORE something goes while I am on the road. Basically all I have done on this car so far is regularly change oil, oil filter, air filter, and rotate tires. Would appreciate if someone from experience could share some insights on this. Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
Definitely check your tires for any kind of dry rot or if the tires ride bad in any way(noises, feeling greasy in turns, cracks, etc.) Generally any rubber items are time limited regardless of miles and may deteriorate faster or age more prematurely the more heat cycles that it has to endure for hot areas.

Also I'm not sure if you replaced/flushed your coolant and brake fluid but those have limited shelf life as PH levels can change in coolant and brake fluid can consume moisture over time making it less effective.

Aside from the mechanical running aspects, if your car wasn't garaged, make sure you keep up with waxing the car and applying leather conditioners to the interior to avoid long term UV damage.

If most of those miles were short trip miles, I would also run a bottle of Techron to remove any carbon deposits that may have built up for example.

There are other things that could be argued as a PM with only those miles such as water pump, drive belts, etc. but I'm in the camp of inspecting or not fixing what ain't broke mentality. You may though hear from the other side of the camp which is then up to you to decide what kinds of things you want to replace as a precaution.

Other than that, dust off those cob webs. ;)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The timing belt historically was to be changed at 7 years or 105k miles. I'm not sure how the MID accounts for this and the manual doesn't address. That's probably very conservative though if you're not in an extreme environment but it should be something you at least think about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alpine. Thanks for your helpful response. My MDX has always been kept in a garage so I believe the tires do not have any damage from extended UV exposure from being in the sun for any extended period of time; just the normal wear. I will definitely look into flushing and changing engine coolant, as well as draining and replacing brake fluid. Thanks again for your suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts