Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you more seasoned MDXer's...

At 60 MPH, and in final gear, engine revs about 1900 +/- a bit.

At 70 MPH, engine is up to about 2500+/_ and in final gear, a strange humming , deep sounding droan appears and is easily heard. It is best described as driving over those pavement rumble strips on a highway, although not quite that loud.
It is not really evident from a certian area of the vehicle, just kind of everywhere...no shaking or vibrating, just a low frequency humming noise...(like those vibrating lazy-boy reclining chairs)

the RPM's are just from memory, so I could be off a bit. My point is to indicate the final (5th) gear.

At first I thought it was wind, but when I speed up, to about 75, it goes away completeley. Also, when I slow back down to under about 65, it goes away.

I then thought it was tire noise, but why only in that narrow speed range?

So, I thought tranny? I sped up to 70, and sure enough the noise appeared like clockwork. I then sharply touched gas pedal, like when going to pass someone. Upon downshift, the noise went away, even though my speed was the same...so again, eliminates wind and tire issues.... In fact it sounded very quiet and smooth....(4th gear I presume) when I released gas pressure, engine upshifted and noise came back within those speeds I've described.

Is this normal, at 65 to 70 in final (5th) gear? Everything was warmed just fine, and occurs in cold or warm weather. In wind or in no wind.

Curious as to thoughts?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Take it to a dealer and take a technician for a ride (you drive). You're in a "good" situation in that, apparently, you can replicate the problem for the technician to hear. Personally, I have no idea what the problem is. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2001 MDX has a similar problem as well. It is a constant drone from the powertrain once we're cruising at a constant speed in 5th gear. I've been meaning to take it in to the dealer but just haven't had time, plus, I just have a feeling that they are not going to admit that anything is wrong and that everything is the way it should be.

If I were to describe our problem another way it's almost like as if one were driving a stickshift car and upshift to too high a gear too soon and then it kinda feels like the engine is bogging a bit due to being in the wrong gear (except the drone/vibration in the MDX is not as bad).

I had the same problem with my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with the drone/vibration and when I took it in it turned out to be a bad electronically controlled engine mount.

Please let me know if you get yours taken care of. I'm curious as to what is causing it as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEs, that is a great way to describe it....If you get to the dealer before I do, please post findings...Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same sound around 70mph with the tach at about 1800 rpms. To me it sounds like a deep bass burrrrrr sound. I know if I just let my foot off the gas for a split second the sounds stops. My thought is that it is the exhaust sound. I don't think it is the wind because it did not vary the other day when it was very windy here. My solution has been drive 75mph.b

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same sound around 70mph with the tach at about 1800 rpms. To me it sounds like a deep bass burrrrrr sound. I know if I just let my foot off the gas for a split second the sounds stops. My thought is that it is the exhaust sound. I don't think it is the wind because it did not vary the other day when it was very windy here. My solution has been drive 75mph.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should mention that in my case I hear the same noise but in my case it appears to happen only if we are going uphill. When I say uphill, I don't mean a mountain. I am talking more about inclines. once on the down slope, the sound goes away. I usually maintain my speed around 70.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I notice that....

........everyone who's posted has a 2003 model......so it may well be a '03 model problem! (or design characterisitic)......Yes, I do notice it too, but it is kinda "subdued" and apparent when the engine runs approximately in the 1800 to 1900 RPM range ......it's most definitely an "exhaust droning" kinda noise and is MOST NOTICEABLE on inclines (sort of like the gearing is TOO TALL and the engine is "struggling")

Since they "remapped" the transmission ratios for the '03 model as well as the '03 engine itself is a new "modified" design maybe there is some kind of resonance at "sound frequencies" in this particular RPM range, which the NVH engineers overlooked :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hear the low humming noise too, but after awhile it disappears, I'm not sure if I should have them check it out, I already brought my X in for this grinding noise when the X downshift or when I press on the pedal a little harder, and the brakes clicking, just not sure if I should bring it to the dealer everytime I hear something different, plus if I have the time to bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Curtsan said:
Question for you more seasoned MDXer's...

At 60 MPH, and in final gear, engine revs about 1900 +/- a bit.

At 70 MPH, engine is up to about 2500+/_ and in final gear,

My MDX runs at just under 2000 RPM's (probably 1900-1950) at 70 MPH on level hishway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just got back from a long drive on my 200 mile old 03 X (its now at about 550 miles), and on the highways I heard the wierd noise at 70 MPH also. If I went up to 75mph or came down to 65 mph, this noise went away.

Did anyone in this forum ever find out about why this noise is coming only at 70 mph ?

As a side note, I had 6 fullsized adults (all under 5'8" though), 2 on each row, and the X performed beautifully. I am very impressed with the power and the handling of X when its fully loaded !

I hope this 70mph drone is not a major problem. Will talk to the dealer once this snowstorm is over the the dealership opens !

·
Registered
206 Posts
Anyone ever make it to the dealer to get thier take? After reading this thread I notice it also at 70..........

·
Registered
184 Posts
I spoke with my dealer and he asked me to bring it in so the service manager can ride with me and experience this sound on his own.

Havent had the chance to go to the dealer yet, and once I do I will update this group on the outcome !

Hope its nothing serious :confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've allways had a low humming noise in my MDX at 65-70 and I currently have a 2002. Its very noticeable if you have been driving another car for awhile and then get back into the MDX. I posted about it .here many moons ago. Sad to hear that the problem still exists in the 03 which I have ordered. When I first got my 02 MDX, I was almost tempted to get rid of it immediatly. None-the-less... you get used to the noise.

I believe the noise could be eliminated with additional sound proofing. I ordered sound proof samples from http://www.b-quiet.com but haven't ordered anything yet.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I had this humming noise too....almost a groan when I accelerated from time to time. In my case, using only PREMIUM, instead of cheating with lower octanes, seemed to eliminate the groan/hum. Now my husband is the only one who groans.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I too have used only top grade (91) octane gas, but get the humming noise at 65-70 mph. I would be curious if anyone has actually had the dealer explain it yet? I'm not really near a dealership to do so.
FYI-My original post indicated the RPM's , but I was wrong in the number, and after looking at it more closely, the subsequent posts whcih have RSPM's correspond with 65-70 mph are more accurate than mine.
Thanks everyone for picking up on this.
As far as the noise, I just want to rule out transmission or other potential major issues later....Please update is you have any new info on this...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yup, my 2003 does this too. From 1800 to 2100 RPM. Oh well, it seems like a normal thing based on the exhaust design. Just the right resonant frequency occurs there.

It's not so bad, I guess I will just have to cruise 75/80mph on the freeways, which I prefer anyway. :p

But please, if anyone comes to an action-oriented conclusion with a dealership, let us know.

Also, what do you think we can all do collectively? I am sure the dealerships will tell us "oh that's no big deal it's just how your exhaust works, we don't have anything on record from Corporate HQ that there is an exhaust problem".

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Mine too!

But can't take it to my dealer as I live on Long Island and no place to go 70 mph legally or even close to it.

If you find the fix please post it.

I will be checking back to see an answer.

Many Thanks.

JeffK

·
Registered
43 Posts
My engine noise

I searched the site before I tried to post my problem. So I think it's best to post in this thread and bring it back alive instead of starting a new thread.

Ever since my 2001 MDX had its first transmission oil change at 48K miles and some short time later, I started noticing this low humming noise from engine (or from front somewhere under the hood, I am not so sure). It sounds like what you hear of the jet engine when you are in a plane and it's accelerating to take off. Of course the noise level is much lesser than the jet noise.

I have this noise no matter what speed I drive, at 30, 40, or 70 mph, I hear it as long as I press the gas pedal a bit. But if I ease off the gas pedal, the sound goes away. I always use Premium gas and that seems not helpful.

I talked to my dealer's service manager and he also noticed this noise. He said it would cost me 70 bucks to run a computer diagnosis (since I passed the 50k miles warranty) but he doubt it could turn up anything. He suggested me to just live with it. So I did not have the check up yet. Now after I read all your comments, I kinda feel relieved that maybe it's not a big deal.

I am curious if anyone actually have their engine checked by Acura? What's your finding?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I guess I have my music too loud to notice this noise in my 03, but will tomorrow ! :2:

1 - 20 of 529 Posts