Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Yes...

...it is quite a car. The old one had stellar handling and steering. Power was impressive, and it was quite modifiable, provided you knew what you were doing. Raced one of those in Miami few years ago, holy smokes, he was fast.

They made sigifinicant advances with the rotary engine. The interior of the RX8 looks great. As does the exterior. Hopefully if it proves popular, they will come out with a special model with more power.

Ok, sure hope nobody flames us for talking about such an un-MDX topic! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Yeah, but.....

the base car that starts between $27-28K has
only a 207 hp motor. The higher output 247 hp motor will be more money from what I have read in Car & Driver and Autoweek. Still, it will be quite a car if it doesn't cost too much more $$$$.


DaleB said:
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=coverstory&loc_code=index&content_code=09787582&1351529848

Just think, in 1996 the RX7 put out 255 hp with twin turbos and cost close to $30K.
Now, the price is about the same, but no turbos and puts out 247 hp!
Quite a feat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I was planning on getting one to replace my TL but after thinking about it, Im tired of my S2000's no torque (RX-8 has almost identical specs). I would rather be a bit slower of the line in my TL but beat the crap out of both of them in mid range. Believe me, these cars are either on or off. From what I read, the RX8 will not be any faster then my TL and I suspect that its 4 seat design will not handle like the S2000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
y2ks2k said:
I was planning on getting one to replace my TL but after thinking about it, Im tired of my S2000's no torque (RX-8 has almost identical specs). I would rather be a bit slower of the line in my TL but beat the crap out of both of them in mid range. Believe me, these cars are either on or off. From what I read, the RX8 will not be any faster then my TL and I suspect that its 4 seat design will not handle like the S2000
As an ex-RX7 owner, I can tell you that initial lack of instant torque is quickly forgotten as the revs climb so quickly as does your speed.
Revving out a rotary is a very unique experience, I doubt even a high speed performance piston engine can duplicate. There is an errie smoothness that I've never experienced before in any fast machinery. It's really cool!
But in summation probably not that removed from your experience with an S2000. Although knowing you can run the cheapest fuel and it makes no difference is nice too.
I doubt the RX8 is the 'wild' machine the 3rd generation twin turbo was, but more refined while not losing that basic heritage. And hopefully much more reliable without the turbo management system. Mazda did some strange things with electrical systems, don't get me started.
But definitely worth a test drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I was very excited about the RX-8. Seat's four, aggressive styling, decent preliminary stats. I just saw the C&D review with mediocre 0-60 time compared to G35 and other hot sedans. Scotty - I need more torque!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Performance estimate

Since the S2000 is 240 horse, 153 max lb.ft of torque, those figures are extremely similar to what Mazda is saying the hi-output version of the RX8 will have.

Given the the S2000 is a little big lighter, the gear is probably more aggressive, I wouldn't expect anything awesome in terms of performance. Figure high 5 seconds 0-60 dash if you drop clutch at high rpm and shift correctly and swiftly. Nothing fancy these days. I bet the handling will be excellent though, and they say the engine sounds awesome, at high rpm (an EXTREMELY EXTREMELY important thing to someone like me, for a performance car...after all, it's about having fun right?). Wicked.

Just don't expect to blow away poor 'ol 225-only-HP BMW 330 drivers. In fact, they will teach you a lesson on at high speed acceleration should you ever elect to get the RX8 and race one above 90mph. I have personally tried drag racing several Bimmers with equally powerful Maximas, Mustangs, and what not. Those Bimmers (esp. with stick) are unreal. They have "Motor Works" in their name for a reason.

WIth that said, Honda is definitely the best engine maker from Japan, no doubt. I just wish they (or Acura) start making REAL WHEEL DRIVE performance cars! SIGH but I DO understand their cost/benefit ratios to stickin' predominantly with FWD.

Anyhow, if anyone lives in a place where they can actually exercise their vehicles properly, in fast turns, highway blasts, etc., do yourself a favor and get a Bimmer. They simply "feel" more "right" than anything else. They really do. It's not just about power.

As for G35 Coupe, 280 horsepower yes? Well the best I've seen for it is 6.0 flat in 0-60 and a trap speed of 98mph in the 1/4 mile. A BMW 330i or Ci with 5-sppd can do 0-60 in 5.8 or 5.9 secs easy, and trap the 1/4 at 96 or 97mph. HOW DOES BMW DO IT? Simple. Properly engineered and thought out gear ratios, and a fabulous enigne. Peak HP means nothing practically, witness 225hp vs. the G35's 280. That is a massive diff, yet it's not any faster? Yes, it's called Engineering and TORQUE CURVE. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Re: Yeah, but.....

TopDog said:
the base car that starts between $27-28K has
only a 207 hp motor. The higher output 247 hp motor will be more money from what I have read in Car & Driver and Autoweek. Still, it will be quite a car if it doesn't cost too much more $$$$.

It's my understanding that there will be two motors available; the 207bhp will have the 164 lb-ft of torque, the optional motor will produce 247bhp but have 159 lb-ft of torque. Mazda has been aware of the concern in the US market about the lack of torque and was going to address that by creating a retuned version of the motor with more torque and a flatter curve but at the cost of lower hp output. The optional engine may be a part of a six-speed package that may increase the price but the changes to the engine itself shouldn't affect the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Yeah, but.....

donsev said:


It's my understanding that there will be two motors available; the 207bhp will have the 164 lb-ft of torque, the optional motor will produce 247bhp but have 159 lb-ft of torque. Mazda has been aware of the concern in the US market about the lack of torque and was going to address that by creating a retuned version of the motor with more torque and a flatter curve but at the cost of lower hp output. The optional engine may be a part of a six-speed package that may increase the price but the changes to the engine itself shouldn't affect the price.
It's been 6 years since the RX7 was imported. I am sure during that time they probably exploited all they could out of the rotary. Again, making substantial gains in fuel economy, reducing emissions, and still able to approach 250 hp without any turbos was quite an accomplishment IMHO.
But probably about as much as they can do, not counting a higher hp version with likely a larger displacement. Nice to see it back on the scene.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Re: Re: Yeah, but.....

donsev said:


It's my understanding that there will be two motors available; the 207bhp will have the 164 lb-ft of torque, the optional motor will produce 247bhp but have 159 lb-ft of torque. Mazda has been aware of the concern in the US market about the lack of torque and was going to address that by creating a retuned version of the motor with more torque and a flatter curve but at the cost of lower hp output. The optional engine may be a part of a six-speed package that may increase the price but the changes to the engine itself shouldn't affect the price.
You're thinking like an engineer. The marketers will be all over the image of the high hp version and giving it more options (Standard 18" rims, for example) to up the price. FWIW, I hope you are right!!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top