Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during my last oil change at a local shop, the mech told me that I need to replace my brake pads. I asked him if he inspected the pads, he said no. On asking then why does he say that he told me that my Brake Fluid level is low which happens when the brake pads are worn.

Any truth to this? Internet seems to suggest that to be one of reasons but wanted to get expert opinion from folks here.

I do experience a slight vibration in steering some times while braking(its not consistent with my Winter tires but was more consistent with my all seasons which makes me feel its more due to condition of tire anyways I digress) but I was getting impression that it might be worn rotors, based on some other posts here.

The car has 80k Miles on clock and I have never replaced either pads or rotors in the last 6 years & 56k miles of my ownership.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Brake fluid is a one way system so the fluid being low can indicate worn brake pads. It would have to be pretty low for them to know that the pads need to be replaced because they are so worn. Only way to be sure is by measuring and sounds like that guy took a very idiotic shortcut.

Best thing to do is take a peek! You can see the pad through the wheel if you hold your head at an angle. It's not that hard to do so the tech should have been able to inspect visually without issue. New pads are meaty, close to 1cm of material. Worn pads are anything with less than 3mm. Some folks try to push it until they are metal on metal. HOWEVER, you are only inspecting the outer pad and not the inner pad which is supposed to have the same wear pattern. If brake haven't been lubricated or fluid changed, the pads will wear at different rates.

Brake fluid needs to be changed every 2-3 years depending on where you live. Brake fluid is an oil which attracts water over time but should NEVER have water in it. Water allows rusting from the inside out of the system, and as well allows for a mushy brake pedal.

My rear pads lasted quite a while before needing replacement, but there was some pad deposits on the rear rotor which caused vibrations on braking (feel it in your butt more than steering wheel means rear rotors). I replaced my rear rotors at 170K since they looked bad. Front pads have been replaced with every set of rotors due to warping so I never could measure the amount of life they would have lasted. Front rotors were tossed by 2x by 80K miles due to repeated warping (deposits, etc). Now I'm on Racing Brake Rotors and EBC Yellow pads and enjoying very much.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
131 Posts
I never top off brake fluid once I install new pads and flush the system because brake fluid level is how most mechanics estimate how much the pads have worn. If you keep topping it off, you will have no idea where your brake pad wear level is at without frequently checking it. If you are going to do a complete brake job like replacing everything, pads, calipers, rotors, stainless braided lines, flush the entire system and go with dot 5 which is silicone and does not absorb moisture. Just make sure you only use dot 5 after that because dot 3 and 4 is not compatible with 5.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Folks, During the last tire change the mech did mention that pad replacement might be needed but also that I was good for a year based on my running, I completely forgot about this.

Yes I never topped the Brake fluid.

I also checked my service records and found that back in 2014 when I bought the car they had put new pads and had the rotors resurfaced(not sure if they really did or not)

Should I also get the rotors resurfaced when I replace the pads?

Also any recommendations in Canada for which Pads to buy?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, low fluid means wear if there are no leaks in the system. However, depending on breaking habits, you might just need a good fluid flush and re-top. I replaced the original pad set at 100K miles and still had 25% of pad material left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
131 Posts
Get the EBC brake pads, either green or yellow. Red is like stock pads, Green is medium duty with low dust, yellow is more extreme duty but wears quicker and dusts a little more.
Search Amazon.com for: EBC Brakes 6000 Series Greenstuff Truck and SUV Brake Pad or EBC Brakes Yellowstuff street and track. Just input your year, model and make into the search criteria.
If your rotors need replacement, Amazon also sells Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for less than OEM and they have stainless braided brake lines. Brakes, tires and suspension parts are the things you should never try to budget on, you and your loved ones lives depend on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and Yes no compromise on Safety related items. My only confusion is how long I am going to keep it and the only reason to even think of replacing is that darn oil consumption. Ideally I would like to keep it for really long time as it has just 80k miles so far (its a 2011 Tech + Ent) but not sure when will the oil consumption result in a big expensive repair(or worse engine replacement) :|

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks Folks, During the last tire change the mech did mention that pad replacement might be needed but also that I was good for a year based on my running, I completely forgot about this.

Yes I never topped the Brake fluid.

I also checked my service records and found that back in 2014 when I bought the car they had put new pads and had the rotors resurfaced(not sure if they really did or not)

Should I also get the rotors resurfaced when I replace the pads?

Also any recommendations in Canada for which Pads to buy?
NO need to surface the rotors if you are not getting vibration on braking. If you are weigh the difference between "Centric HIGH CARBON" rotors vs the cost to resurface them. Sometimes newer is cheaper and easier.

Not sure if EBC is sold in Canada but HIGHLY recommend the yellow pads if you value safety. Shorter stopping distances, but downside is dust and squealing.

Get the EBC brake pads, either green or yellow. Red is like stock pads, Green is medium duty with low dust, yellow is more extreme duty but wears quicker and dusts a little more.
Search Amazon.com for: EBC Brakes 6000 Series Greenstuff Truck and SUV Brake Pad or EBC Brakes Yellowstuff street and track. Just input your year, model and make into the search criteria.
If your rotors need replacement, Amazon also sells Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for less than OEM and they have stainless braided brake lines. Brakes, tires and suspension parts are the things you should never try to budget on, you and your loved ones lives depend on it.
^ agree, I recommend any HIGH CARBON rotor, centric has been good to me from rockauto.

Thanks and Yes no compromise on Safety related items. My only confusion is how long I am going to keep it and the only reason to even think of replacing is that darn oil consumption. Ideally I would like to keep it for really long time as it has just 80k miles so far (its a 2011 Tech + Ent) but not sure when will the oil consumption result in a big expensive repair(or worse engine replacement) :|
You can try to fix oil consumption by changing oil and filter every 3K miles and use DMSO or engine cleaner first to clean carbon from the piston rings. I'd also upgrade the oil to 5W-30 oil in summer and 0W-30 in winter.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
131 Posts
Isn’t this an overstatement? Seriously, how many acccidents or personal injuries have been prevented by using these vs stock pads? I would guess zero.
Well, when I replaced all my brake components with new calipers, EBC pads, Stainless braided hoses, drilled and slotted rotors, it took me a week to get used to the new stopping power. That first week of driving around, my daughter kept complaining that everything went flying forward every time I stepped on the brakes in traffic. That's how big a difference brakes can make in a 5000 pound vehicle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, when I replaced all my brake components with new calipers, EBC pads, Stainless braided hoses, drilled and slotted rotors, it took me a week to get used to the new stopping power. That first week of driving around, my daughter kept complaining that everything went flying forward every time I stepped on the brakes in traffic. That's how big a difference brakes can make in a 5000 pound vehicle.

View attachment 117148
Have many accidents did you have with your old brake pads?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO need to surface the rotors if you are not getting vibration on braking. If you are weigh the difference between "Centric HIGH CARBON" rotors vs the cost to resurface them. Sometimes newer is cheaper and easier.

Not sure if EBC is sold in Canada but HIGHLY recommend the yellow pads if you value safety. Shorter stopping distances, but downside is dust and squealing.
Thanks, I checked and EBC is available in Canada, how much difference in dust between Green & Yellow, I hate brake dust and would like to avoid if I can. From their site looks like yellow is more ideal given the power and weight of the 2nd Gen.

As for Rotors, I do get vibrations in steering sometimes.

To be honest I dont drive my X as if I stole it, so I will compare pricing of OEM vs these as I didn't have any problems with OEM or whatever is currently on(put by the dealer before selling to me)
^ agree, I recommend any HIGH CARBON rotor, centric has been good to me from rockauto.
How to know if a rotor is high carbon?

You can try to fix oil consumption by changing oil and filter every 3K miles and use DMSO or engine cleaner first to clean carbon from the piston rings. I'd also upgrade the oil to 5W-30 oil in summer and 0W-30 in winter.
Yes thats what I am doing, i also check oil every 1k miles and top up if needed. Will read more about the different weight oils, thanks.
Looks very nice, what wheels are those. Isn't all that braking power a little overkill for the MDX LoL, which EBC pads(Green, Red, Yellow) did you go with?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Isn’t this an overstatement? Seriously, how many acccidents or personal injuries have been prevented by using these vs stock pads? I would guess zero.
Have many accidents did you have with your old brake pads?
Buddy, it seems like you are trying to argue something pretty dumb. If an accident occurs in front of you and you have to panic brake, stopping 1-2 feet shorter may save your life, save you from injuries or others. Or a kid runs in front of the X while driving 25 through a neighborhood, or a dog, or a deer.

Seems like a no-brainer vs trying to save $100 bux. Same folks that cheap out on tires too.

Been in a highway pileup and dealing with lifelong injuries so yeah... You keep whatever pads you like!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks, I checked and EBC is available in Canada, how much difference in dust between Green & Yellow, I hate brake dust and would like to avoid if I can. From their site looks like yellow is more ideal given the power and weight of the 2nd Gen.

As for Rotors, I do get vibrations in steering sometimes.

To be honest I dont drive my X as if I stole it, so I will compare pricing of OEM vs these as I didn't have any problems with OEM or whatever is currently on(put by the dealer before selling to me)

How to know if a rotor is high carbon?

Yes thats what I am doing, i also check oil every 1k miles and top up if needed. Will read more about the different weight oils, thanks.

Looks very nice, what wheels are those. Isn't all that braking power a little overkill for the MDX LoL, which EBC pads(Green, Red, Yellow) did you go with?
Get the green rather than the yellow. Yellow is going to dust heavily. If the rotors are vibrating I'd see what local shop charges to resurface vs labor to replace. In the product description from the rotor it will state if it has "high carbon content" or regular.

Racing brake and a few other companies use similar metallurgy to help improve braking performance and life.

Even though you don't drive it like you stole it, in the event of an incident you can hopefully stop shorter and prevent other injuries.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, will get an assessment done when I go for switching my tires from Winter to All Seasons in the next week or so. Thanks for all the advice :)

EDIT - How to find out which model pads fit the 2nd Gen MDX?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts