Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lighting system would you install if you didn't want to go over the $100. level for low beams????

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use Sylvania SilverStars and they have worked out very well for me. I have also replaced my fog lights with PIAA yellow ION bulbs. There are a few threads on this subject if you do a search. :29:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I replaced both hi and lo beams with PIAA Super Whites.
Well, they are not really SUPER white, but certainly do a better job than stock. They create more 'fill' in the light field than stock bulbs.
Comparing them with my stock fog lamps, they are more 'whilte' by not by much.
I've heard good things about Silverstars too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Silverstars

I'd go with Silverstars. I have the PIAA Xtreme Whites in one of my other cars and those are supposed to be comparable to the SS. Both emit about 20% more light than stock. PIAA's Super Whites are actually less brighter (10%) than stocks. The difference is that the PIAAs are more expensive. I put the SS in my sister's car and they perform just as well for lower cost.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Some of us have gone with the "lower" grade aftermarket halogens, such as platinumprices.com (went out business:mad:), prostreelighting.com, etc. They are really white and really bright. Especially the ones from platinumprices.com. It's made by Plasmaindustries.com and they have a 10 year warranty. I sent one that had gone out back and they sent me a replacement. I found another backup set by plasmaindustries (2 9006 for the lows, and 2 9005 for the highs) for $28 shipped from ebay.

I haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Silverstars

dcmdx said:
I'd go with Silverstars. I have the PIAA Xtreme Whites in one of my other cars and those are supposed to be comparable to the SS. Both emit about 20% more light than stock. PIAA's Super Whites are actually less brighter (10%) than stocks. The difference is that the PIAAs are more expensive. I put the SS in my sister's car and they perform just as well for lower cost.
Well, I must have gotten defective bulbs from PIAA because they are certainly appear brighter than stock although I haven't done measurements with a light meter.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Based on these results...

renov8r said:

The thing with using your "visual comparisons" or "photo" is that the effect of DIFFERENT light directions and colors really throws off your perception.

A light meter can't be fooled so easily.
Well, I guess it could have been worse, I might have picked the wrong car instead of the wrong bulbs!
I can't argue with the numbers, however I noticed the stock Honda bulbs were 'Stanley'? My stock bulbs are Sylvania.
I am now considering ordering a low beam set of Silverstars, but think I will wait and see the outcome of the Narvas' test. Thanks for info! It shows the value of more research when the info is available.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
renov8r,

What about shooting the beams into an empty field, and taking photos from behind the headlights (next to the car).
It seems that would show the effective difference in light coverage, would it not?

I thought the 'control' in my head on shot, were the fog lights, which have relatively the same brightness (stock bulbs) the only difference being the headlights. But considering the complex shape of the reflectors, I can see it would not take much to result in alignment being off-axis.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ren, thanks for the post on the test results. 16.5% is more than i thought.

dale, stock is stock unless it's e-code. it doesn't matter who makes it b/c the diff will be negligible.

if you really want brightness, upgrade the wiring harness for $35 and put higher wattage bulbs in there.

there are limitations to filament bulbs that will inherently limit its kelvin and lumens.

i believe the brightest 55w halogen bulb is the philips vision plus, which is supposed to be 40-50% brighter than stock. this is apparently achieved by increased luminance, not lumens.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
dcmdx said:
ren, thanks for the post on the test results. 16.5% is more than i thought.

dale, stock is stock unless it's e-code. it doesn't matter who makes it b/c the diff will be negligible.

if you really want brightness, upgrade the wiring harness for $35 and put higher wattage bulbs in there.

there are limitations to filament bulbs that will inherently limit its kelvin and lumens.

i believe the brightest 55w halogen bulb is the philips vision plus, which is supposed to be 40-50% brighter than stock. this is apparently achieved by increased luminance, not lumens.
Certainly more than I thought! But I will do a 'field test' more out of curiosity than anything. After all, whichever enables me to see 'more' is what I am going after. Within limits, because I am not ready to go full HID or modify vehicle wiring to higher gauge to allow lamps with more current draw. And I do want to stay legal, and concentrate on low beams, since a good 99% of driving I do with low beams. I shall print my fotos over the next few days and would be interested in comments. Thanks for all the info. Yes, the difference in lumens and luminance is critical, and why some lighting is perceived as brighter. Uniform brightness is also important and probably has almost as much to say about the tolerance of bulb assembly as it does about the reflector design of the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts