Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on replacement bulbs. Should I stick with oem or aftermarket . I’ve read the aftermarket bulbs, syllania ultra stars
are more bright but don’t last long.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you can easily replace it w/o removing the bumper you can try cheaper bulbs, they are bright at first and fades quicker but you can replace them as oftentimes as you like cause some are very cheap. OEM is ok but there are way way better ones, if you’re gonna remove the bumper or paying a shop, invest in either Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Laser.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Bluer does not mean better! I'd highly recommend OSRAM Nightbreakers

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have these and would not recommend - D2S - Osram Xenarc 66240CBI HID Bulbs. Are the nightbreakers better?
I haven't seen the CBIs in person (at least not that I know of), but in the video reviews they were considerably more bluish tint, which I dislike (I prefer a warmer light).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't seen the CBIs in person (at least not that I know of), but in the video reviews they were considerably more bluish tint, which I dislike (I prefer a warmer light).
Yeah I thought it would be bluish but Bright but only first part was true LoL. This was actually recommended on the forums. Anyways it's not good for visibility. Will probably get the nightbreakers

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah I thought it would be bluish but Bright but only first part was true LoL.
I don't think you would get a distinguishable increase in visibility as bulbs are not the problem here. It's the headlight construction: mainly poorly designed reflectors (especially the light beam cutout). You would have to upgrade those to make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think you would get a distinguishable increase in visibility as bulbs are not the problem here. It's the headlight construction: mainly poorly designed reflectors (especially the light beam cutout). You would have to upgrade those to make a noticeable difference.
Oh ok, you mean the projectors are weak?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Problem is....Projectors are design for halogen bulb, but they with are made with D2S socket... So they look like halogen projector, but with D2S socket, if it makes any sense...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Problem is....Projectors are design for halogen bulb, but they with are made with D2S socket... So they look like halogen projector, but with D2S socket, if it makes any sense...
Oh, you mean its designed for a D2R Bulb but has D2S socket? Thats just plain dumb, i wonder how did Honda make such a mistake.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Oh, you mean its designed for a D2R Bulb but has D2S socket? Thats just plain dumb, i wonder how did Honda make such a mistake.
MDX Reflector shape is more common shape found in halogen systems, not HID. HID reflector bowls have different shape. And the cut off line is classic halogen type...
Best HID systems were found in 04-08 TL and TSX. High quality reflectors and lenses. MDX on other hand is pure garbage.
It would be no surprise for me, if the same optics were used in Honda Pilot (different bulb socket).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Best HID systems were found in 04-08 TL and TSX.
The TSX has carried that torch on. When I saw my friend's 2012 TSX's low beams on, I thought I would have a seizure - that's how out of this world they were.

I'm actually looking forward to swapping the projectors with custom ones built specifically for the MDX ordered from Russia. I've had them for almost a year, but never found time to install, as I would need several days considering taking them off and disassembling the headlights, plus filming.

·
Registered
319 Posts
MDX Reflector shape is more common shape found in halogen systems, not HID. HID reflector bowls have different shape. And the cut off line is classic halogen type...
Best HID systems were found in 04-08 TL and TSX. High quality reflectors and lenses. MDX on other hand is pure garbage.
It would be no surprise for me, if the same optics were used in Honda Pilot (different bulb socket).
Just to be clear when you say reflector, you mean the one inside the projector right?

04-08 TL was regular reflector and not projector, right?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just to be clear when you say reflector, you mean the one inside the projector right?

04-08 TL was regular reflector and not projector, right?

optical unit consists of a reflector bowl and lens in front of it..

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
861 Posts
The TSX has carried that torch on. When I saw my friend's 2012 TSX's low beams on, I thought I would have a seizure - that's how out of this world they were.

I'm actually looking forward to swapping the projectors with custom ones built specifically for the MDX ordered from Russia. I've had them for almost a year, but never found time to install, as I would need several days considering taking them off and disassembling the headlights, plus filming.

What kind projectors ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looks good, quality stuff. Like the big opening- much more light in front of the car. Higher cutoff-bigger hot spot. Should be good improvement.
I would get lo/hi beam version, but it looks like not available for 07-09 model.
If you will throw old ones out. I would like to have it :) Want to do some testing...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would get lo/hi beam version, but it looks like not available for 07-09 model.
I'm pretty sure you can negotiate with these guys to produce whatever :) I just did not want any modification to the OEM assembly, I only wanted a bolt-on swap of the reflectors.

If you will throw old ones out. I would like to have it :) Want to do some testing...
I'll keep that in mind, but I can't promise I won't forget. If you ping me at [email protected], the chances of me remembering are increased :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts