Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got lost going to Newark Airport his past weekend, the Navi. saved my butt. As many NYer know, Newark airport is under construction, got to the airport and somehow ended up leaving it again and was back on the highway. Inputted the airport again and it guided me to two darkly lit roads (which scared the crap out of me) and voila I was back at the airport again. Definetly get the Navi. for people considering it. Well worth the $2,000. Best $2,000 ever spent on options for any car.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that. Didn't know that Canadian MDx don't come with the Navi. option. Hopefully soon

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am a born Navigator and didn't think I needed any "Nav" system. After reading this board, I figured I get it anyways so I can do some of the mods (Rear camera, DVD, PC) to the screen.

It turns out that Nav system has turned out super handy a bunch of times (and I've only had the car for a month).

I'm a skeptic turned believer. Love my Navi.

·
Registered
452 Posts
kishino said:
Got lost going to Newark Airport his past weekend, the Navi. saved my butt. As many NYer know, Newark airport is under construction, got to the airport and somehow ended up leaving it again and was back on the highway. Inputted the airport again and it guided me to two darkly lit roads (which scared the crap out of me) and voila I was back at the airport again. Definetly get the Navi. for people considering it. Well worth the $2,000. Best $2,000 ever spent on options for any car.
The Newark Airport has the worst road system in the world. I have been there at least 15 times and if wasn't for memory I could never get in and out of that place. There are more roads in and out that run in parallel or go to the same place. Plus they constantly make you do 720's to just turn around. Who designed that place?:eek:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If I had my druthers.....

........I would make it a law to provide a Navigation System as an option on every automobile sold here. I'm extremely dissapointed at peoples' attitude towards spending the measly 2K on this amazing and remarkable device.........The new 2003 Accord has an incredible, state-of-the-art Navi system that's WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD, and the friggin dealers say it's gonna be real difficult to come by one with Navi, because of "expected low demand" :rolleyes: .......Well, I guess it's actually the consumers who are to blame :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: If I had my druthers.....

vicpai said:
........I would make it a law to provide a Navigation System as an option on every automobile sold here. I'm extremely dissapointed at peoples' attitude towards spending the measly 2K on this amazing and remarkable device.........The new 2003 Accord has an incredible, state-of-the-art Navi system that's WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD, and the friggin dealers say it's gonna be real difficult to come by one with Navi, because of "expected low demand" :rolleyes: .......Well, I guess it's actually the consumers who are to blame :mad: :rolleyes:
While I wholeheartedly agree with you about the "value" of the Nav, just because it is important to you does not mean it it must have the same value to all consumers. I would suggest that to most consumers buying an Accord, $2,000 is anything but measly. If it were, they would likely be buying a more expensive car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a simple Navi question that does not warrant a new thread. I will be ordering my 03 and want to more prior to placing my order. I have been driving with a handheld GPS for years and the most annoying feature is that when it calculates distance/time to destination, it calculates it base on "as the crow flies" or straight flight distance and not via the road. Does the NAVI on the DMX do such calculations on the projected best route? Also, is that stubby antenna on the roof for the NAVI? How many waypoints are allowed? How often does the screen refresh or take new readings? Are some trip computer functions such as miles to empty integrated with the screen for the NAVI or do you have to flip screens to get such info? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I love the new navi, but I heard they are having problems with the voice recognition picking up your voice. If people are in car and talking almost impossible to use, and even by yourself have to repeat alot to work. I heard lot's of people still using the touch screen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
namegoeshere said:
I have a simple Navi question that does not warrant a new thread. I will be ordering my 03 and want to more prior to placing my order. I have been driving with a handheld GPS for years and the most annoying feature is that when it calculates distance/time to destination, it calculates it base on "as the crow flies" or straight flight distance and not via the road. Does the NAVI on the DMX do such calculations on the projected best route? Also, is that stubby antenna on the roof for the NAVI? How many waypoints are allowed? How often does the screen refresh or take new readings? Are some trip computer functions such as miles to empty integrated with the screen for the NAVI or do you have to flip screens to get such info? Thanks in advance.
If you are on a digitized road then you have driving based on road segments vs the crow.

When you first select the item to go to or if you are not on a digitized road then you get the crow mileage. As soon as you get a ETIR then it's based on road segments.

It calcs every few seconds but may take 30-60 seconds to catch up with you depening on routing, road segements ...
Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would wary of any voice recognition systems. I've worked with this technology twice in my profession to make computer interaction more natural. It is more frustrating than rewarding. Maybe I've just become jaded to this, but I hate speech recognition apps. It will be much faster just to punch it in on the screen.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Navi answers

namegoeshere said:
Does the NAVI on the MDX do such calculations on the projected best route? Also, is that stubby antenna on the roof for the NAVI? How many waypoints are allowed? How often does the screen refresh or take new readings? Are some trip computer functions such as miles to empty integrated with the screen for the NAVI or do you have to flip screens to get such info?
When calculating a route there are several options you can use; easy, direct, minimize/maximize highways, etc. Once a route is computed and programmed into the system, the Nav will calculate the "exact" numbers of miles to your destination based on the path calculated. Upates are continuous; it counts down every mile until you get close and then every 1/10th of a mile under 10 miles. It also estimates the time til you reach your destination.

The trip/mileage info is a separate screen (same mechanical screen, different page :rolleyes: ) from the Nav map/route/destination info. But flipping back and forth is trivial.

One caution regarding its ability to choose the "correct" route; it is dependant upon the accuracy of the digitized information! One example, the computer in incapable of picking the correct route fron Houston to Memphis (e.g. Hwy 59 north to Texarkana) because Hwy 59 goes by many names on the DVD (Hwy 59, US 59, US 59N, US Hwy 59, etc.) Note that the Nav always tells you what road you are currently on. The computer assumes each name is a different road and thus will not program such a "difficult" path:rolleyes:

Nevertheless Navi is way cool and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just about had it too. I got lost twice in the past 2 weeks and must have lost a total of 2 hours.

I ordered the Street Pilot 3 Deluxe last night. No more getting lost for me.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
It's still a great feature and would recommend to anyone. I don't know how I ever survived without it!!!!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
paul123 said:
It's still a great feature and would recommend to anyone. I don't know how I ever survived without it!!!!!
I agree 100%! I don't know, maybe some people are just in unmapped areas, etc. Yesterday, I shot on to a freeway when I could not make a right turn onto a street due to construction, the Navi recalc'd within a 1/4mi having me take the first turnoff, then it guided me to a residental area, shot me past 2 streets that were cul de sacs, had me turn left, then left again, taking me within 1/2 block of my destination which it clearly announced as I approached it.
I just drove normally and it guided me flawlessly. I can not say it has not glitched on occassion, but always recovered. But all in all, it has to be one of the greastest enhancements to driving.
It has kept family members from arriving late to appointments in unfamiliar areas more than once.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Acura Navi's the BEST

I was in a friend's brand new Benz last weekend and playing around with the Benz Navi System (known as COMAND in Benz world). It SUCKS! :) No touch screen and I think navigating through the menus needs a separate navi system in itself!:D :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
namegoeshere said:
Hi <namegoeshere>, to answer a couple other questions, the Navi on your DMX (are you driving backwards?) allows you to record points on the fly, but they're not true waypoints in the typical GPS sense - you can't work them into an itinerary, for example. They are more like MOB (Man Overboard) points, you can navigate back to them. The screen refresh is pretty much instantaneous (or sub-second, at least). Miles to empty is in the trip computer; I flip back and forth to check on fuel efficiency, temp, etc, so it's not an issue.

·
Registered
699 Posts
namegoeshere said:
The trip computer's on a different screen, but you can flip there and back with the same button. Really easy and unobtrusive.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Great info on the nav system. I was wondering what the system will do if you start from a point not on the map. I live in a new subdivision and am almost certain it will not be on the dvd. Can you get it to remember points of intrest that are not mapped and also routes that you would take to those points "off the beaten path"? I hope that made sense. The more I read the posts about the system the more sure it will be an option on mine. Great site.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
Great info on the nav system. I was wondering what the system will do if you start from a point not on the map. I live in a new subdivision and am almost certain it will not be on the dvd. Can you get it to remember points of intrest that are not mapped and also routes that you would take to those points "off the beaten path"? I hope that made sense. The more I read the posts about the system the more sure it will be an option on mine. Great site.
Hi Hockey (you guys have ice down there?)

I also live "off the map". If I "save" my home location, it maps it to the nearest reasonable road address, and uses that at a destination point (which doesn't work particularly well in my case). I'm not quite far enough off road to get breadcrumbs (need to be 1/2 mile away), but I'm guessing it that if you marked a point up some breadcrumb trail, it would NOT remember that route; it would probably mark a point on the nearest digitized road.

In spite of that, get yourself the NAV option, it's awesome! I find I don't get lost when I'm trekking down logging roads, I get lost when I'm in Chicago... :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts