Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I wish it still had some of the 'utility' that my first Gen has.

There was no way this couch was fitting into my 2014, but my 2006 swallowed it up.

While the roofline is not as eye catching in the '06 vs the '14, there's no denying the boxy shape is better for cargo.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
...and there are times a Suburban would be handy since it fits more stuff, or a full size long bed pickup, etc. My 2014 MDX won't fit as much as my 1998 Durango did but I still like the MDX (I liked the Durango also). You're right - the sloping roofline of the 3rd gen cuts into the dimension carrying ability.

The way I look at it is - I don't try to haul oversize items or carry long timbers or haul busted up asphalt every day, or every month, or not usually even once per year. If there are times I need to haul something the MDX isn't suitable for I'll just rent an appropriate sized truck (it's only $20 at Home Depot) or I can rent a trailer (necessitating a hitch) or talk someone with a pickup into helping for an hour.

The trade-off is worth it IMO - i.e. a fairly right-sized vehicle with decent mileage for what it is for the 99% of my driving and simply rent something appropriate when needed for the times the MDX isn't suitable. If someone has a hauling ratio vastly different than mine then they might have purchased the wrong vehicle in the MDX.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've noticed the door openings are boxier and sills are thinner on the first gen... That makes getting in/out of the 1st gen easier, but I think the 3rd gen is MUCH safer, as a result.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few months back, I bought a large painting. I could not get it into my MDX. Later I took my wife's Lexus Rx 350 and I could easily put it in from the back. The utility part of the SUV is gone due to the 3rd row seat. To accomodate the 3rd row, there is less front leg space in the MDX compared to the RX 350. The space for legs while getting off the vehicle both front and back rows is less because seats are "pushed" in front for the 3rd row. Having an MDX and RX I continue to easily see the pros and cons of each vehicle. The LKAS is best in the MDX.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've read postings where owners of new Pilots lament the older, boxy ones they used to have. Honda "prettied up" the new gen, but a brick is more efficient for space. I also read a while ago that Honda is considering, after many complaints, making the upcoming model a bit boxier.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a first gen and a second gen...no question, the first gen is easier to see out of etc due to less blind spots....as others have said, safety related...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I recently replaced my 2006 with a 2018, and while there are many improvements after 12 years of car progress, I agree, no doubt the utility has diminished a bit. The narrower cargo width, sloped roof, and curved trunk D pillars/opening come to mind.

Honestly, what annoys me more is the fact the 2018 is 8 inches longer than my 2006, making it a tighter squeeze into my garbage (which I knew before I bought it, but still...). It was very clever how Honda packaged the original MDX and Pilot models 15+ years ago.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That's why I have my 2000 Chevy extended cab long bed. The bed is about 90-92 inches. A couch can easily fit in with the tailgate up, or a queen size mattress laying flat (there are slots for 2x4s that keep the mattress above the wheel wells for storage underneath). A buddy borrowed it this weekend to move his son into his new place for college. Plus to me, the truck is fun to drive.

But to the OP's point, I do agree. On trips, golf clubs are a tighter fit across the back of the second row, and seems my last two MDXs have held less than my first two.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'll take it if they don't want it. So many of these threads "I tried to put a 20 foot canoe inside but it didn't fit because it doesn't have a lift window like XYZ makes me think another brand dealer is trolling trying to sell something else. If it isn't that, woe be this generation when they find out life is full of a lot worse things.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trust me. I'm not another btand dealer, with 3 Acuras in my driveway. This is just an observation that there is more utility in the 1st Gen MDX.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know some are disappointed in the cargo space of the 3rd gen but I don't think it warrants putting the vehicle into the garbage.

;)
Ha! Thanks for pointing out that auto-correct error. *garage*! :smile2:

Anyway, regardless of a little less utility, love the MDX; third one since 2003.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My wife wanted to move from her late 90's RL into an SUV, and we actually had a hold on an '03 MDX at our local dealer. When they came in my wife drove it and looked it over, and was concerned because of the "useful space" in the rear cargo area (we had small kids back then). She then looked at the Honda Pilot, and while on the same underpinnings as the MDX, it was much more space-friendly. So she went from the RL to a Pilot. Years later when i got my '13 MDX I was happy to see the usable size was larger than that 1st gen MDX was.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've hauled full size refrigerators in my VW bus, hauled a couch in the Sable wagon, hauled a wide refrigerator in the old CJ7 standing up in the back and tied to the roll bar but I would never haul something in the MDX that could tear $3000 seats by accident if they snagged. Have any of y'all who haul in your MDX looked at pricing on the upholstery for a MDX? Making matters worse, the upholstery shops can't work on any part that has an air bag in it, which in case any of you have seen a MDX deploy them is like being inside of a beach ball.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For some people, it may be the only vehicle they have that can haul something. Fortunately, I have a truck and will always own a truck for just that reason. Though if I didn't, I would just do that Home depot truck deal for $20.00/day for anything large that would not easily fit in the MDX.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For some people, it may be the only vehicle they have that can haul something. Fortunately, I have a truck and will always own a truck for just that reason. Though if I didn't, I would just do that Home depot truck deal for $20.00/day for anything large that would not easily fit in the MDX.
I traded a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali for my MDX. There are days I really miss my truck!

But that is also why I added the tow hitch and wiring to my MDX... The MDX better meets my needs 360ish days a year, and a trailer solves the remaining 5 days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I traded a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali for my MDX. There are days I really miss my truck!

But that is also why I added the tow hitch and wiring to my MDX... The MDX better meets my needs 360ish days a year, and a trailer solves the remaining 5 days.

My truck is the 14 Silverado Z71. My previous truck was the Sierra. The MDX is for my wife because she hated climbing in/out of the truck. My daily drive is the Honda S2000. I guess we are like the Goldilocks story...one is too low, the other is too high, the MDX is just right. LOL

Reactions: Reyen

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just wish the glass on the tailgate would open... I miss being able to have long items stick out the back. I actually didn't know it didn't open until after I bought it. All my previous SUV's allowed the glass to open. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts