Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any insight into this problem? My '03 MDX has 8 Bose speakers and whenever I change the channel, or switch to aux, am, fm, or DVD there is a loud thump sound that you can hear from the inside and outside....like there is too much power and it doesn't know where to go and it comes out in a thumpy explosion. Almost like hitting a base drum. After I change the channel or whatever it's fine and the speakers sound great, and the thump doesn't happen when I change the volume.

When I first got the SUV I wanted to see how loud the speakers could get and I swear I could hold an outdoor concert.....but it was making that sound before I turned it all the way up, so I don't think I blew the speakers.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a simple fix, can I fix it, or am I making a trip to the shop? Hope I explained the problem with enough detail.? Any insight is appreciated ?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not to worry - if you blew the speakers out, it STOPS thumping. ;-)

My MDX doesn't have Nav / Bose, but will sometimes do the same thing switching between modes (FM to CD or back), especially since I installed a bluetooth adapter. It's really just bad design that puts a voltage pulse through the sound system circuitry when you switch modes, that gets through to your subwoofer. If you have the volume maxed out to make up for low output from your phone in Aux mode, it's a lot worse.

If it's shaking the windows, it's possibly something more than that, but if you think of it as a free subwoofer test, maybe it won't seem so bad... ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like a rattly voice coil. the cone comes loose or dry rots and lets the voice coil cone hit the coil. This causes a noise in the speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts