Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an MDX (1K miles so far) and have noticed a loud tapping noise when the A/C is on. The noise subsides when the A/C is off but I can still hear the noise. I checked the oil level, just to be on the safe side and it seems ok. I know honda engines are suppose to be extremely quiet, so I'm a little perplexed about the noise. I'm going to take it to the dealer this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
northmoore said:
I recently purchased an MDX (1K miles so far) and have noticed a loud tapping noise when the A/C is on. The noise subsides when the A/C is off but I can still hear the noise. I checked the oil level, just to be on the safe side and it seems ok. I know honda engines are suppose to be extremely quiet, so I'm a little perplexed about the noise. I'm going to take it to the dealer this week. I'll keep everyone posted.
Have the dealer check the serpentine belt that runs all the pully's. Also ask him to turn on the a/c to make sure the clutch on the a/c is not defective. One of the above should be the noise. The easiest fix is the belt replacement, at worst the may to replace the a/c compressor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took the car into Montclair Acura. At first they didn't notice the noise, so I had them run the car w/the AC on for a few minutes. After a couple of minutes they finally heard the noise. They said the belt tensioner was the problem. They didn't have any in stock so it's on order should be in sometime next week. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

BTW, the service at Montclair was very friendly and efficient. Service advisor was "Chris Chang" and the mechanic was "Ali." They also gave me a free car wash coupon.

Thanks for the reply Paul123.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
northmoore said:
Just took the car into Montclair Acura. At first they didn't notice the noise, so I had them run the car w/the AC on for a few minutes. After a couple of minutes they finally heard the noise. They said the belt tensioner was the problem. They didn't have any in stock so it's on order should be in sometime next week. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

BTW, the service at Montclair was very friendly and efficient. Service advisor was "Chris Chang" and the mechanic was "Ali." They also gave me a free car wash coupon.

Thanks for the reply Paul123.
Your welcome, glad to hear it was a simple fix like the belt tensioner, and you didn't have to replace the compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I notice the same thing on my X. The noise is not "loud", but it is noticeable, especially when the A/C is on. When teh A/C is off, it appears to subside slightly, but I still notice the noise.

How did you make out with your fix?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts