Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

While out today the X all of a sudden started to screech extremely loudly while driving forward. It seemed to be coming from the right front wheel. It sounded like i was dragging a tin shed behind me! I thought at first it might be a rock or something stuck between the rotor and the backing but it only seemed to screech when I went forward. In reverse and turning backwards, nothing - no noise at all. Going forwards and turning loud metal on metal sound. Any ideas?
Im hoping its just some debris i need to get loose and not some major tranny issue or something. As of now, no lights on the dash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the pads and they seem to be ok, were changed last year. After some driving around it seems to have gone now. I thought it might be the dust shield rubbing. It was very unnerving, like my exhaust was being dragged behind the car. My wife heard it in target while i was in the carpark it was that loud. Hopefully it wont come back?!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only way to check the brake pads are to take them off. There are 2 sides for every wheel. The side facing out might have thickness, while inner might be down to the brake wear indicator, which will scrape against the rotor when friction material is worn away.

When the wear indicators are scraping against the rotor, an evident screeching will be heard. occasionally, the brake wear indicators pop off, no longer producing the sound....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
1) Something got wedged between brake pads / caliper and brake rotor.
2) Something got wedged under the car and dragged along.
3) Driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts