Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nine months old, 12,000 miles, suddenly a LOUD grinding noise (sounds like driving over the strips on the side of the freeway that are there to wake people up who fall asleep) with right OR left turn with slight change going up or down into parking lot, etc. The dealer finds nothing, tells me it's the ABS and "perfectly normal". Funny it didn't do it the first nine months, and my friend's MDX doesn't do it either. They've had it two days now with no luck. Anybody with similar experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rear end grinding

Well, the dealer has called me back, it seems the sway bar link has a broken weld. Apparently it had shifted back into proper position so they had not noticed it, but the factory rep spotted some nicks on the axle caused by it banging when it was knocked out of position by turning a corner with a change in elevation. Noticed by the factory rep who happened to be at the dealer today. They will overnight the part and have it fixed tomorrow. So if anyone else has the same problem this might be the fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found your post. Been looking for awhile for the same noise on our '02 MDX. Could be the same thing, recently had into dealer for 7500 mile check and he couldn't find anything either. Will check tonight for broken weld and let you know.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
A rear sway bar link just broke on our 02 X [driver side]. Break appears to be at the end [where a weld probably was made]. The X has just over 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
X is at dealer and we discussed the sway bar link:

** This is a known problem.

** The problem is definately a faulty weld.

** Failures occur on both the left side link and the right side link.

** Acura only replaces the link that fails [don't replace both even though both are known to fail].

Good news:

** Local dealers now STOCK the links [at least our servicing dealer does] due to the demand!

** Easy repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts