Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Info: 07 MDX, 236k.

So suddenly I have this loud noise coming from the front of the car after installing 2 new (actually used, but has 80% life left) front tires. The tires are Goodyear Fortera. The noise sound like bad bearings, but I didn't have this before. I'm suspecting bad tire after doing much research, but maybe it's the bearings? I don't want to end up replacing a good bearing. I recorded a video of the sound.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I hope the the tread depth of these new, but used tires are within 2/32 of the two tires that you did not change. Once the tread depth differs by 3/32 or more, from tire to tire, on these AWD cars it is possible to damage the AWD system.
Put those (that you didn't replace) on the front and see if the noise changes.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's really hard to tell by the sound, but given that the noise wasn't there before you changed the tires, I'd say it's most likely the tire noise. What speed does the sound become obvious? You would usually hear a bad bearing at city speeds and it will become obvious the faster you go. With tire noise it's more pronounced at highway speeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's really hard to tell by the sound, but given that the noise wasn't there before you changed the tires, I'd say it's most likely the tire noise. What speed does the sound become obvious? You would usually hear a bad bearing at city speeds and it will become obvious the faster you go. With tire noise it's more pronounced at highway speeds.
I notice the noise around 20mph and increase on the highway. It's also noticeable when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope the the tread depth of these new, but used tires are within 2/32 of the two tires that you did not change. Once the tread depth differs by 3/32 or more, from tire to tire, on these AWD cars it is possible to damage the AWD system.
Put those (that you didn't replace) on the front and see if the noise changes.
That's what I was thinking. I'll swap the rear tires and put them on the front and see if the sound disappears.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if the noise wasnt there before then appeared when u installed the used tires then you have a bad tire, check the date code on the side of the tire to see how old they are, shouldnt be buying used tires anyways

·
Registered
41 Posts
Replacing just two tires that don't match the wear of the other two is a good way to toast the Awd. Check for cupping, that will sound like a bearing all day, if they are cupped, they are trash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Factory Goodyear Fortera on my 2011 Pilot sounded like bad bearings when they wore, definitely had cupping on the outside edges. Those tires get noisy when they wear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rotated the tires and the noise disappeared from the front, but I can still hear it from the rear (best guess). I just wasted $100 for these tires. Is Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tire good? That's the only good brand I found within my price range.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had those Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires.
They wore down evenly, but got so noisy that I replaced them, when they got down to 6 or 7/32 tread left.
I read other users that say the Michelin Primacy & Latitude get noisy too, as they wear.
My new Goodyear Weather Ready tires still have 9/32 tread left, so they aren't noisy (yet and I don't know if they will get noisy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Best all seasons I had are the OEM equipment Michelins. Super quiet and perform great! Mine are 5 years old and they still have another season in them. Note that I change tires for winter.
I would replace the tires with the OEM tires, but they are out of my budget. If the original size is 255 55 18 why is my Michelin latitude tires 245 60 18? Previous owner did me wrong didn't they?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would replace the tires with the OEM tires, but they are out of my budget.
What's your budget for a set of four? It's best to think of tires not as a single up front cost, but rather an investment for 5-6 years of driving, divided by years or even months for a handy monthly cost.

As is the case with any AWD vehicle, you want to use a 4 tire set for normal driving with normal wear and alignment.

For example, a typical 18" set of good quality new OEM equipment MDX tires is around USD $850 plus tax, which constitutes about USD $170 plus tax annual cost (if we consider 5 years) or a mere $14 bucks plus tax a month.

Let's say you are saving 50% on used tires, so you are paying somewhat $450 for a set of four. That reduces annual cost to $90 bucks annually or 8 bucks a month. Of course that's in ideal world, because in reality used tires won't last you the same amount of time as new ones, of course, but let's still compare new to used as 1:1.

Now I don't know what your situation is, but I can tell you about myself: I rent the appartment I live in, and I pretty much support my family alone, so as you imagine it's a somewhat limited budget. Yet I do not consider a difference of 7-8 dollars monthly to be any significant increase to my monthly budget. It's basically a cost of three coffees at Starbucks. At the same time I have a peace of mind when driving and I know the tires I buy will last during their entire expected lifetime, unless there is a serious puncture or something, but for that I'm buying tires at Costco as they provide 5 year road hazard warranty, so they'll repair or replace tires in these cases with a pro-rated cost. But that's just me, of course, I'm in no way implying everyone else should treat it the same way: to each their own.

Previous owner did me wrong didn't they?
That might be the case, but whenever I buy a used product, I am fully aware it is sold as is with no warranty and no obligation from the seller. You just buy it, check it and hope it will work as expected, but nothing beyond that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's your budget for a set of four? It's best to think of tires not as a single up front cost, but rather an investment for 5-6 years of driving, divided by years or even months for a handy monthly cost.

As is the case with any AWD vehicle, you want to use a 4 tire set for normal driving with normal wear and alignment.

For example, a typical 18" set of good quality new OEM equipment MDX tires is around USD $850 plus tax, which constitutes about USD $170 plus tax annual cost (if we consider 5 years) or a mere $14 bucks plus tax a month.

Let's say you are saving 50% on used tires, so you are paying somewhat $450 for a set of four. That reduces annual cost to $90 bucks annually or 8 bucks a month. Of course that's in ideal world, because in reality used tires won't last you the same amount of time as new ones, of course, but let's still compare new to used as 1:1.

Now I don't know what your situation is, but I can tell you about myself: I rent the appartment I live in, and I pretty much support my family alone, so as you imagine it's a somewhat limited budget. Yet I do not consider a difference of 7-8 dollars monthly to be any significant increase to my monthly budget. It's basically a cost of three coffees at Starbucks. At the same time I have a peace of mind when driving and I know the tires I buy will last during their entire expected lifetime, unless there is a serious puncture or something, but for that I'm buying tires at Costco as they provide 5 year road hazard warranty, so they'll repair or replace tires in these cases with a pro-rated cost. But that's just me, of course, I'm in no way implying everyone else should treat it the same way: to each their own.

That might be the case, but whenever I buy a used product, I am fully aware it is sold as is with no warranty and no obligation from the seller. You just buy it, check it and hope it will work as expected, but nothing beyond that.
You got a good convincing point. My budget is $700-$800, but the Michelin Latitude Tour HP especially the OEM size 255 55 18 exceeds $1000 including taxes and service fee. I've searched tirerack, discount tires and local walmart. Are there websites I'm not aware of where I can purchase them cheaper?

·
Registered
568 Posts
how much is MICHELIN PREMIER? Those are better in my opinion compared to Latitude.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts