Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I find that when I'm in the 'X, and we go over a fairly large crack, frost heave, pothole in the road, I get a rattle from the rear of the truck that sounds like vibrating metal....it is quite loud and very annoying. I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet, I was going to wait until it goes in for the first service appointment.
Any ideas? If you drive over some rought roads, you would hear the noise if you had it. The radio does NOT cover up this sound.
Any ideas would be very helpful.....thanks!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Maybe a silly [stupid?] suggestion ... might take a quick look to see if the spare is snugged down. Could cause a rattle on a bump if loose [I think]

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Maybe a loose jack or something loose in the rear storage area -- including headrests not fully "plugged-into" their holes. If you have a chance, crawl under the car and wiggle/move as many parts as you can reach (make sure the exhaust is cool!). This may help you locate the noise.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
third row seat belts?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I vote for the seatbelts banging the pillars or the jack's loose in its compartment. How 'bout your license plate frame?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
rear storage compartment where you store the headrest forthe third row. I presently have an electric tire gun to remove lug nuts and a portable compressor for low tires or flats. When I go over bumps I canhear it rattle or move from left to right. I have to see about some type of air bubble packing to keep it snug or a towel for emergency road work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps it's the cargo cover? Mine makes a metallic clicking sound at times when I'm driving over rough terrain.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Another Idea

I've noticed my rear brake pads do sometimes rattle when I first start to drive the SUV. Once they warm up they seem to seat themselves and don't rattle. I used to tighten them up on an old GM that I had. It hasn't bothered me that much yet, I asked the service manager and he said it is common, and when you replace the pads they hammer the new ones in tight. I know it's possible to even hammer the oringinal ones to if it bothers you to much. An easy test to see if this is the problem is to remove rear wheels when cold and see if there is any play with the rear pads, you might even be able to reach in the holes in the wheel to see if they rattle.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
YES

DaleB said:
Do you think a strip of anti-squeal goop on the backs of the pads would go a long way to solve that problem?
Yes that would do it or crimp the metal tabs on the pads to the caliper. I mentioned the goop to the service manager and he didn't recommend using that for reasons of wearing the pad quicker. I wasn't really sure what or how that could happen? I haven't addressed the problem because it only does it when cold and goes away fast once the brakes heat up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheWorm said:
How 'bout your license plate frame?
WOW, thanks for all the replies!! I figured out this weekend that it was the damn license plate frame from the dealer! TheWorm was right!! I put some flat foam insulation on the back of the license plate frame and that should stop the noise, until I get some nice chrome frames to replace the cheap ones from the dealer. I do think the cargo cover still makes that metallic type clicking noise that someone mentioned above....but I'm not sure what I can do about that. Thanks for all the replies!

swhtech

·
Registered
127 Posts
I Have it too!

I have the same problem too. I have not tested my theory yet but this is what I think it is. The head rests do not fight tight in the holes in the storage compartment any more. I think that when you go bumps the two bars on the head rest start to vibrate like a tuning fork and is almost sounds like the muffler is loose. Its sort of like a Boing/Vibration. I have been hunting this for a while. It all started when I put in my towing package. and removed the rear floor panel to mount and connect the electronics. It doesn't happen all the time. If it is happening often or at the same place on the road. Try removing the head rests from the compatment and drive the road and let me know if it still happens.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Rattle noise

sometimes it sounds like a exhaust shield rattle, but it's wierd because it goes away as it warms up. I know those shields on the catalyst converter sometimes can be a pain and if there are any other exhaust shield sometimes they make noise. it's odd???

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If anyone cares, when I mounted my rear plate, I did place some foam tape [sticky one side] on the back of the license plate. Did this based on prior experience. Have not had any problems.

PS -- Currently using skrag's plate frame.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
srpbep said:
If anyone cares, when I mounted my rear plate, I did place some foam tape [sticky one side] on the back of the license plate. Did this based on prior experience. Have not had any problems.

PS -- Currently using skrag's plate frame.
I did the same, but the noise we are talking about is different than that noise.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
paul123 ... Thought someone tracked the noise to the plate frame !! :eek:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
srpbep said:
paul123 ... Thought someone tracked the noise to the plate frame !! :eek:
No I don't believe so, it's a different noise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts