Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the 2020 Hybrid Tech,

I started noticing this recently. While parked with the car running on electric motor/battery (engine cycled off) and the AC on, I notice a loud noise (sounds like a loud fan) from under the hood. I mentioned this noise to the dealer while in for a B16. He said it's typical compressor noise. Having owned the car since 2019, I don't remember noticing this before. Is the noise normal?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I can’t recall any loud noise on my 19 Hybrid while parked, A/C on and engine is off. If you think it is abnormal, have dealer tech checks it.

Last week, My MDX started having a quick one second buzz noise when I am accelerating slowly (noise could heard mostly when engine is running around 1700-1800RPM with speed going up to 30MPH). I took it to dealer, they replicated the noise I referring to, but is having trouble to pin point the cause. They are working with Acura Tech line to identify now.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It would be significantly more helpful to other members if you shared a video of the noise rather than describing it, that way we can compare it to our own vehicles and any future readers can find a solution if they experience this issue too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be significantly more helpful to other members if you shared a video of the noise rather than describing it, that way we can compare it to our own vehicles and any future readers can find a solution if they experience this issue too
I tried sharing the m4a sound file but it wasn't supported. Then converted it to mp3, then mp4. Still said it wasn't supported. Tried uploading the mp4 file to YouTube but it kept erroring out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a buzzing when the AC is on and motor is off. Now that it is getting hotter it is more common for the motor to be warmed up enough during remote start to flip into battery mode, but interior is not cooled enough so you can hear the (apparently electric) AC running without the motor on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a buzzing when the AC is on and motor is off. Now that it is getting hotter it is more common for the motor to be warmed up enough during remote start to flip into battery mode, but interior is not cooled enough so you can hear the (apparently electric) AC running without the motor on.
I noticed the same on mine the other day. they only way I noticed it was that DW was driving, and when we stopped it was in electric mode and when I got out of the car I could hear a buzzing from the AC compressor motor. But we couldn't hear it in the car. And yes, on the hybrid the AC motor is electric, as is the power steering, power brakes, water pump, note that there is NO serpantine belt on the engine. Accessories are all electric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found a resolution for the one second buzz you noticed? My 2019 hybrid MDX is also doing this.

I can’t recall any loud noise on my 19 Hybrid while parked, A/C on and engine is off. If you think it is abnormal, have dealer tech checks it.

Last week, My MDX started having a quick one second buzz noise when I am accelerating slowly (noise could heard mostly when engine is running around 1700-1800RPM with speed going up to 30MPH). I took it to dealer, they replicated the noise I referring to, but is having trouble to pin point the cause. They are working with Acura Tech line to identify now.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Have you found a resolution for the one second buzz you noticed? My 2019 hybrid MDX is also doing this.
Dealer did the transmission drain and fill + TSB update to resolved the problem. (After working with Tech line)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the same second buzz under same conditions in my 2020, only noticed now in hotter weather. Can you point to the specific TSB #, didn't see any open on transmission for the 2020. The odd gear thing was supposedly already done per old owner's service records that transferred with the vin on Acura ownerslink..

·
Registered
2019 MDX Sport Hybrid
8 Posts
I had the same second buzz under same conditions in my 2020, only noticed now in hotter weather. Can you point to the specific TSB #, didn't see any open on transmission for the 2020. The odd gear thing was supposedly already done per old owner's service records that transferred with the vin on Acura ownerslink..
I had the same issues that I posted about in a different thread which I also asked JTM about. That thread is here:
Sport Hybrid Reliability

I recently had some work done for it and I mentioned the information that JTM shared in that post. It's been fixed I believe and the work performed was the same; drain/fill transmission and update firmware/software. I do hear it still on occasion but it's very quiet and the frequency is nowhere near where it was before. When the car was warmed up I could pretty much expect it to happen at around 30mph and it was so loud that the passenger could hear it. Now I have to really be paying attention for it (no music, low AC) and when I do it's probably my mind playing games with me.

The TSB that applies is this one I believe:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-004.PDF

This is specifically for 2017-2019 but if it's a software/firmware issue then someone not/incorrectly updating a 2020 model would be extremely possible.

Hope this helps you as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I still get this issue and I am noticing that it only seems to happen when accelerating while turning left. (randomly, not all the time)

Was going to wait until the next oil change to tell the dealer, but this morning the MID just popped a "All wheel drive problem" message, so going in tomorrow. After turning off the car for a minute the MID error went away and the car seems normal, so I hope the scan code is stored somewhere that the dealer can find.

My guess is the SH-AWD has an issue when attempting torque vectoring, will find out.

Will post back with what they say, again happy I have the 9yr CPO warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts