Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX has been doing this since day 1. I was going to point this out to the dealer at the first service. Another poster on another forum alerted me to the cause:

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Acura Owners Site

Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new direction of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had them look into this last friday, when i brought the car in for the A/C bolt recall and to fix my engine shroud rattle again. they said the clicking is normal. told them it only started doing it a month or two ago, and that Ive never owned a car that did that. Said they were going to leave it as "an open item", in case anything more comes out about it. Doesn't seem normal as it only does it to me when I'm baking into a parking spot with the wheel turned to the right. nothing if the wheel is turned to the left

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does the same. Irks the hell out of me. Dealer said it's "normal characteristic of the car" since a few car did the same. I didn't buy it just because other cars had the same issue. They also said "oh it's the load on the suspension and we would take your car and torque some screws down". Whatever they did the same persist. I am thinking about changing out the brakes to see if it fix the noise. Let me know if anyone have a cure for it

·
Registered
266 Posts
My MDX makes a noise when backing up, but I don't believe I hear anything when I go from reversing to moving forward. It's louder when turning right in reverse, but I hear a bit too when turning left.

The 'click' I hear sounds like it has a lower pitch, almost like a 'snap', but not quite like a knock. I had the dealership service dept. address this issue along with a couple of others. They said that the brakes are designed in a manner to reduce pad wear (which aligns with the FAQ answer posted by E92Vancouver), so the noise is pretty much a design trade-off. To quell the noise issue, the dealer tech re-lubed the brake pads, and the noise went away. That worked for a couple of hundred miles, until we saw a few consecutive days of heavy rain.

The noise does bother my wife, but I'm okay with it. I was more concerned if it were an issue with something binding in the suspension or front end. If it were, I'd probably be looking at premature component failure. Going forward, I'll just have the dealership reapply the band-aid fix every time on Acura's dime we bring the car in for service. I've still got over 80% of my mileage warranty left, so Acura can fix it every time. The way I see it, I might even be able to come out ahead. Who knows, Acura might come out with a more permanent fix. Or, if I complain enough maybe I'll get a set of new replacement pads. ;) . Worse case scenario, I'll just live with the noise after the warranty period and when they wear out I'll throw on an aftermarket pad.

I actually plan to take the vehicle in this week for the A/C bolt recall, so I'll have them address this noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just dropped off my 2015 AE for an oil change and the bolt recall and took the tech on a drive to let them hear this snapping, cracking noise when backing up, a rattle when I get to about 40 mph, and the exhaust smell entering the cabin upon hard acceleration. I was told the same thing - the snap/crack sound is the brakes. I only used to hear it when first moving in reverse, say out of a parking spot, but the tech told me to listen for it when I started moving forward and yep, it snapped again. He said it was "normal" and he could try to quiet it down some (not sure how) but not to worry about it. I'll update when I get a verdict on the rattle (he said it may be the plastic covers). As for the exhaust smell - I could not replicate it on this drive - I'm sure it will happen again on my drive home - but all the tech could say was he'd check the AC recirc door to make sure it was closing all the way and to see if any body plugs may be missing. This is the most concerning thing - the smell can get really bad I have to open the windows to get rid of the exhaust smell.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The "click" due to brake pad shift has been around on certain Honda and Acura models since the 1990's. For some reason, certain models had more clearance between the caliper frames and the pads. It has no effect at all on braking performance.

In areas where road salt is used in Winter, it has the advantage of making pad sticking less likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts