Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to the forum. Wife has a 2010 Acura MDX and loves it. The accessory belt tensioner , I think, has become loud and annoying. I need to remedy this asap. Does anyone have part numbers or factory manual on how to do this repair?
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you are planning to do this yourself then www.rockauto.com and youtube are your friend.
The attached video is for a Honda Pilot, but the job is the same on the MDX. Not a tough job and I did one on my Honda Odyssey by taking the passenger front wheel off and going in through the side. Highly recommend a new main bolt as reusing the old has resulted in some failures in the Odyssey community.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thank you! Rockauto same as oem quality?

Yes, aftermarket works here. At the end, they are as good as the quality of the bearings used in the pulleys.

In my case, I just replaced the bearings of the pulleys. If you have ways to replace them, they are 6203-2RS and 6303-2RS or equivalent bearings. Total cost less than US$30 at the most. I used japan manufactured bearings.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
What is the symptom of a shot pulley bearing? I am curious. How did you diagnose it?

For me, it is not the bearing. the spring inside of the arm of the tensioner lost its tension, so it cannot tighten the belt enough and it makes that kind of nasty and special noise as shown in the youtube videos. I was not sure until I found that specific video. Super helpful. I removed the pulleys from the failed tensioner and if one day my pulley fails, I can simply swap it out.

To OP, now I think about it. Gates must have engineered and tested its tensioner and belt together. So they should work. The Mitsuboshi belt might be designed together with another tensioner. So it is a much better bet to buy the belt and tensioner from the same manufacturer to be safe.

·
Registered
306 Posts
buy 38920-RCA-A03 trust me. honda seems to say the part was replaced by the other part number but there have been a few reports of the other part number belt being too large.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question. on the tsb for the A/C bolts it says that 2010 model year only needs a belt? Is that correct? Did you guys replace your A/C bolts as well??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it done. Pain in the ass. There is new superceded belt. Part number 56992-rvo-a05. Take the front tire off and go up. Quiet as a mouse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts