Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have lost one of the remote starter with key for my 2014 MDX. Called dealer, $ 450 here in Alberta Canada. Way too much. I had keys for my Honda CRV in the lost set as well. All lost. Honda dealer quote $200. Total $650 !!! :crying2:

Is there a way to get around this in a less expensive way. Please help.

I have the 2nd key for both cars, if that helps.

·
Registered
391 Posts
might as well spend the money and buy the FOB that comes with the remote starter kit.

that's what i did when i didnt have a driver 1 key.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I would just buy off eBay remote start for your MDX and install it yourself. Then you have to have the dealer program to your MDX. Then you'll have three sets of keys and auto start be sure to get the newest version remote start
38015-TZ5-A10

·
Registered
391 Posts
So, I would just buy off eBay remote start for your MDX and install it yourself. Then you have to have the dealer program to your MDX. Then you'll have three sets of keys and auto start be sure to get the newest version remote start
38015-TZ5-A10
that's right.

doing the installation yourself is easy; instructions come equipped with the kit.

all youll be spending the money on is the labor the stealership charges to program the new set of remote start FOBs. NOTICE: the remote start FOBs do not come with the physical cut key. youd have to buy that separate and again, have the dealer cut the key. i did not go this route as i just kept the cut key that was on driver 2's FOB, onto the driver 1 remote start FOB. there's just 1 cut key in my set. i can live with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would ask your dealer if they have a old cut key and just used it in remote start key fob with a old key so you can use the key ring hole. That's what I did in my toyota. I've only used the real key once in 10 years. But it's nice to have the key but crazy how much money just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There was another thread about key fobs recently that you might look at. You do not need to go to the dealer, as some of the larger locksmiths have both the cutting machines for the Honda/Acura security keys and the programmer for the fobs. Call around as that can save you some money. They can usually provide the fobs and keys as well so buying on the internet may not be necessary, or even desirable.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts