Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 MDX loses power when trying to accelerate. RPM drops off for 3 to 5 seconds then power returns. This has happened 8 times now and no explanation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I remember someone stated the same thing like you, and he eventually had the tranny replace under warranty

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 MDX loses power when trying to accelerate. RPM drops off for 3 to 5 seconds then power returns. This has happened 8 times now and no explanation.
Had this problem with our 2016 last night. Traveling about 40 mph over a railroad track (speed limit was 55) in Normal ride mode. After passing over the tracks, I pressed the accelerator and no response. I watched the speed drop even as I pressed further on the accelerator. Same thing. About 3 seconds and then power picked back up.

On a side note. I also noticed yesterday my ACC was no longer working. LKAS still worked, I just couldn't engage distance. Instead of ACC I had a box that said Cruise Control. Resetting cruise master switch and turning off the engine and restarting was no help.

·
Registered
665 Posts
the shifting, throttle, everything relies on the computer understanding what you want. I've not had this in my MDX, however I did experience similar in the 06 RL when I confused it by backing off then adding power. It sort of went into a "what is it exactly that you want" mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a side note. I also noticed yesterday my ACC was no longer working. LKAS still worked, I just couldn't engage distance. Instead of ACC I had a box that said Cruise Control. Resetting cruise master switch and turning off the engine and restarting was no help.
If you hold the ACC distance switch on the steering wheel, the cruise control switches between constant speed (conventional) and constant distance (adaptive) cruise control modes

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is it really 3-5 seconds or is it less? The ZF9 is slow to respond to commands for a downshift when already at speed, say at 50 mph and then you want to pass a truck. When we push the pedal down, we are used to a near immediate response, so it can seem like forever when you do that and it takes a moment for any forward motion to happen. I don't have concerns about the reliability of this this ZF9, but the down shift latency and constant hunting for gears are annoying traits.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is it really 3-5 seconds or is it less? The ZF9 is slow to respond to commands for a downshift when already at speed, say at 50 mph and then you want to pass a truck. When we push the pedal down, we are used to a near immediate response, so it can seem like forever when you do that and it takes a moment for any forward motion to happen. I don't have concerns about the reliability of this this ZF9, but the down shift latency and constant hunting for gears are annoying traits.
I have been told that is a design issue and in part is based on the driver's style. If you punch it more often then system becomes more responsive and has less lag, however the gas mileage falls. My 06 RL that was classic. You are getting on the freeway, throttle back to let a car pass in the lane beside you to change into that lane and then once in it punch the throttle to speed up to enter the next lane. The lag seemed forever so much I learned to anticipate it and punch a split second before I need power. We watch a channel on TV that has airplane disasters. Lots of them caused by software that is designed to think for people. Like the 737 max issue - someone tells a fly by wire system they want A but the system says, "No - you want B; You can't have A yet." The more people buy into AI and fly (drive) by wire, the more we will have these kinds of issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts