Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally investigated a loud mettalic rattle from the rear wheels, every time I hit a bad bump

It seems to be the rear driveshafts. They fit very loosely to the differential housing, and can be rattled up and down.

This was quite a shock to me, as they seem very loose.

Anyone else looked at their rear drive shafts ? just grab em' and shake them up and down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently took the X over a rough road full of potholes, rocks, and noticed a metallic rattle sound coming from the rear underneath that sounded like something was loose. I thought it may have been the side steps, but they are still on pretty tight.

I've read a past thread of complaints about this noise. I checked the muffler and found that I could move it side to side where it hits against a metal plate adjacent to it. I hope that is the reason for the noise. I think others had a noise problem that was related to rear suspension problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I also have this metallic rattle from the rear right wheel well area on my Pilot. Anybody here on the MDX site ever have this and actually figure it out?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sars, please respond

Sars, I really am looking for an answer to this issue as I think I have the exact same problem on the Pilot. The dealer cannot fix it.

Did you ever resolve it or just learned to live with it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not figured it out yet.....I know it is definitely not the muffler. I will be taking in for a service soon, so I'll be having my dealer check it out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my dealer says that the amount of play in the driveshafts is normal.

The dealer also believes the rattling noise to be the rear brake pads, which actually sounds plausible (but still annoying), given the amount of movement in them when you brake going backwards.

They greased the mounting points on the pads, and I have not heard them rattle yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts