Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are expecting our first child this September, and as a result I'm in the market for a vehicle. I've narrowed it down to either an MDX or an RDX and have researched both and am planning on test driving the MDX this weekend and have already driven the RDX. Budgetwise, I'm looking at spending no more than $25K OTD and wanted to get the community's opinion on the 2014 MDX with Tech and Entertainment Package, and what a reasonable price would be for this vehicle.*

I've taken a look at KBB and Edmund's appraisal, and came across a listing at a local dealer for a 2014 black MDX with 48,082 miles, SH-AWD, Tech and Entertainment package for $30,900. That's quite lower than what both KBB and Edmunds list as fair market value, which make me think somethings up, or, they're just looking to get these off the lot.

Can anyone chime it to let me know what they a) think of the MDX overall and b) their opinions on the listing above?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The MDX is really overkill for a family of 3, its maintenance is higher due to bigger tires, higher capacities and overall MPG consumption... Are you certain the MDX is the vehicle you need? Size wise, cargo capacity and Seating? If its because of styling and your liking then never mind my comment but I will highly advise you to lean towards the RDX V6 instead, since its easier to live with, easier to park and easier to maneuver. It will be actually cheaper to maintain and a bit better on gas too.

I love my MDX but If I were to do it again I would pull the trigger to the ZDX Instead.... I still want a ZDX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, and yeah, you're probably right that it is overkill. I was leaning towards the MDX purely because it seemed like it came with a lot more features than the RDX that were important to me, specifically the features that are included in the "AcuraWatch" package on the RDX. I was also consider it to be somewhat 'future proof' for when and if we do have a second child :)

I came across a very reasonably priced CPO 2015 RDX with Tech Package, however, it's a dealer CPO and not manufacturer CPO since it's being sold at a Mitsubishi dealership - not sure how I should feel about that and what the long term implications are.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Go for it..I love mine..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It's a tough call and I think I'd need to actually drive an MDX to see what it's like. The other factor, and probably the most important one, is the budget - I can't go over $25K, which would make it a stretch for me to even get a 2014 MDX. The one I described above is listed at ~$31K, so I don't know how realistic it would be to get them to drop down that much.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I would expand my search out to vehicles within a 1/2 day drive from your area. I was able to find a low mileage 11 MDX Adv+Ent 5 hours away for the less price as 12 MDX tech with 2X the mileage in my home town.

You might have to look into the Adv models for the full suite of the Acurawatch features to future proof yourself. The RDX would be good for today; but, you will need more room as your family grows. I started out with the RDX and added the MDX down the road.

I don't get much use out of the 3rd row seats of my MDX; but, the comfortable seating for 4-5 folks and extra room in the hatch really comes in handy more than you would think. I use my RDX for 2-3 passengers max and more as a city car because of its smaller size is easier to maneuver in traffic and parking lots. If you plan on doing road trips, have a need to carry more full size folks, or have to spend more time in the car with the family; the MDX would be a lot more comfy for that.

You don't get that much more with the Ent system. I get more use from our iPad mini on road trips and I can take the mini in the hotel or use at home (teather to my iPhone for internet, ton of apps, music, movies, take pictures/movies, etc...).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much. i'd love to expand my search geographically, however I don't have easy access to a vehicle at the moment so that makes it challenging. I suppose I could try to rent a car, but am trying to avoid extra expenses with the impending arrival of the new addition :)

We also live in NYC so the smaller size of the RDX is appealing...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I purchased my used 08 RDX in 2010 because I needed more room and my TSX was just too small. I added a roof cargo box and hitch to my RDX when I needed extra space for road trips. The RDX was the 99% solution and the cargo box with hitch was the other 1%. I added the 11 MDX back in 2014 because my kid ran high school and summer track. Summer USATF track meets were held from coast to coast and they also doubled as family vacations (LA, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc...). The extra room made it more comfy and I still had the roof box and cargo carrier from the RDX when we needed more room.

You can still live with the +13 RDX even with two kids. The MDX will still be available down the road if you decide to upgrade later like I did.

I still enjoy driving my 2nd Gen MDX. The 10-13 Adv model has most of the current 3rd Gen MDX Acurawatch safety features (auto cruise control, collision mitigation braking, blind spot motoring, cooled seats, auto level headlights, active suspension, pre-tension seatbelts). The 10-13 tech version would be a better value because the 2nd Gen Adv version MDX magnetic suspension can fail at anytime and repairs can cost $700-$1000 per corner to repair (many just convert to regular suspension for under the amount for one magnetic shock/strut). The only thing you will be missing out on is the better city/hwy MPGs compared to newer RDX and MDX. I get sometimes low teens in 100% city, 20-22 mpgs on the hwy at 75-80 mph, and combined around 16-17 in mixed driving in my MDX. At the time I was looking in 2014, a new 2014 MDX tech was +$15,000 more than my used 2nd Gen MDX Adv+Ent (my 11 MDX had more tech than the 14 MDX).

I know you can find a +10 MDX tech or Adv with or without Ent with the same or less mileage for under $25,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased my used 08 RDX in 2010 because I needed more room and my TSX was just too small. I added a roof cargo box and hitch to my RDX when I needed extra space for road trips. The RDX was the 99% solution and the cargo box with hitch was the other 1%. I added the 11 MDX back in 2014 because my kid ran high school and summer track. Summer USATF track meets were held from coast to coast and they also doubled as family vacations (LA, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc...). The extra room made it more comfy and I still had the roof box and cargo carrier from the RDX when we needed more room.

You can still live with the +13 RDX even with two kids. The MDX will still be available down the road if you decide to upgrade later like I did.

I still enjoy driving my 2nd Gen MDX. The 10-13 Adv model has most of the current 3rd Gen MDX Acurawatch safety features (auto cruise control, collision mitigation braking, blind spot motoring, cooled seats, auto level headlights, active suspension, pre-tension seatbelts). The 10-13 tech version would be a better value because the 2nd Gen Adv version MDX magnetic suspension can fail at anytime and repairs can cost $700-$1000 per corner to repair (many just convert to regular suspension for under the amount for one magnetic shock/strut). The only thing you will be missing out on is the better city/hwy MPGs compared to newer RDX and MDX. I get sometimes low teens in 100% city, 20-22 mpgs on the hwy at 75-80 mph, and combined around 16-17 in mixed driving in my MDX. At the time I was looking in 2014, a new 2014 MDX tech was +$15,000 more than my used 2nd Gen MDX Adv+Ent (my 11 MDX had more tech than the 14 MDX).

I know you can find a +10 MDX tech or Adv with or without Ent with the same or less mileage for under $25,000.
Thanks much. If I did go the MDX route, I was hoping to find one that would still be covered by the Acura warranty. How far back, in terms of years, would you say it's safe to look at?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
There were almost zero changes for 4 years for the 10-13 MDX model years. The 12-13 MDX had a few TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) that were applied to these models like reflash of charging system or reflash of 6AT; but, the issues were minor and wasn't needed for all 10-11 MDXs. You had the 4/50,000 mile basic; which, is mostly likely gone for most model years. There is also a 6/70,000 powertrain available and Acura added a 100,000 miles extended warranty for the +10 MDX Adv just for the magnetic suspension. I would also check to see if the MDX was CPO (certified Pre-Owned) by an Acura dealership because there might be and extended warranty already on the vehicle from 70,000 miles to 120,000 miles.

The only difference between a 10 MDX tech and 13 MDX tech with the same mileage is the $5000-$8,000 higher bluebook value for teh 13 MDX.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 Tech/SHAWD MDX that I bought new in July, 2013 that now has around 39K miles on it and have really enjoyed the vehicle. It's been very reliable, handles great for a vehicle of its type, as in it's actually fun to drive, has plenty of power, gets great mileage, and is just the right size. Given a do-over, I'd buy the MDX over again.

IMO a 3 row SUV is 'not' overkill for a family of 3. It's hard to say right now how many years you may end up owning the vehicle but if you end up keeping it for a long time, as I do with mine, your family could grow. You'll also discover that with a baby/toddler you end up carrying a lot more stuff in the vehicle and extra room doesn't hurt. You may also find that when the grandparents or other relatives come over it'll be convenient to take a single vehicle to the restaurant/park and yours will be the one with the car seat in it and it would be very handy to have the 3rd row seating versus 2 row. I still remember having 2 row SUVs when my 2 kids were growing up and wishing a number of times to have a 3 row SUV yet the only ones available at the time were huge vehicles like a Suburban and I didn't want that and I've never liked minivans. Once the first mid-size 3 row SUV came out, a Dodge Durango, I bought one and found the 3rd row very handy on a number of occasions.

The RDX doesn't buy you anything in the way of fuel mileage, handling, power, etc., and possibly even cost (although check that point out), and essentially you end up with a slightly smaller but less practical vehicle. Whichever year RDX I checked out at one time also was very annoying in that the back seat didn't fold flat which made it even a less practical vehicle. Maybe Acura improved this at some point.

The thing to do is to get to a dealership and test drive the MDX and the RDX although you may make the choice between the two simply by sitting it them and imagining the scenario I mentioned with a baby/toddler, or two, along with their car seats, strollers, diaper bag, port-a-crib, other stuff, plus grandparents, etc. loaded up in it.

Once you make your decision on the model of vehicle make sure you check out the particular vehicle really well paying attention to body panel alignment (some 2014/2015 and perhaps later had some panel misalignments), listenting for unexpected thumps and noises from the rear (some TSBs fixed some problems there although mine never had the issue), and the other due diligence you should do with buying any vehicle whether used or new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts