Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My first post here, I'm looking to buy our first MDX. After having done an absurd amount of research, and having my wife test drive a 2013, I'm starting to lean towards a member of the newer generation.

As of a week ago I was thinking a 2014 with 20k - 30k mi would be good for us, but then started realizing that prices for 2014 CPO aren't all that much cheaper than brand spanking new 2016. Safety is hugely important as this vehicle is for my wife who will be driving herself and kids often, so the fact that I can get all the safety features on top of the base model MDX is also great regarding the 2016.

Can anyone here give me some advice? Am I off on prices, can I really get a good 2014 for $7k - $10k cheaper than a 2016 AWD with AcuraWatch? Not sure what people are actually paying for these various models.

Also, are folks that own 2014 happy with their vehicles? Not sure if there were first-run issues that are worth avoiding.

Or, should I look at 1-year old 2015's with a few thousand miles?

Really just looking for the best mix of value and safety here, don't really care about New vs CPO as a rule.

Lots of questions, but hoping some owners here can help shed some light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Have you read this forum? Personally,I'd stay away from the 14. The car is fine but there were changes to the infotainment that greatly improved it. The 14 did not get those changes. First year problems also. Check gaps around the doors and rear hatch. You should already know what the differences in price are. Based on all your research.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
A used/CPO 15 Adv with the 6AT (fwd or sh-awd) would be the most bang for the buck if you want a cheaper price and all the safety features. The HD rear entertainment was standard on the 14-15 Adv models for the kids. The 6AT gets a little better mpgs and sh-awd will add more road security if the weather gets bad. I think the Adv sh-awd models got the spare tire standard.

If you have the time and willing to travel; you might be able to find a 15 MDX Adv/Ent sh-awd with 15,000-25,000 miles for $7,000-$12,000 cheaper compared to a brand new equally featured 16 model. It took me about 4 months and I traveled +6 hours one way (overnight stay) to pick my used 11 MDX with the color and features I wanted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a '14 Adv w/ Ent. other than a few minor annoyances that i got fixed because of service bulletins (rattle on engine shroud, and the grinding on the steering wheel when turned all the way), i haven't had any problems. The software on the touchscreen is slow, which, supposedly the '15 fixed. I've gotten used to it, and don't have an issue with it anymore. You will find a lot of complaints on these boards(either by people that just feel the need to complain, or ones that happen to get one on the lot that had some problems - which can happen with any make/model out there), but I love mine. Son loves the rear ent system w/ the wireless headphones when on a long trip(along with the heated seats), and my wife said she wanted to "move into" the car because the seats were so comfortable. Ultimately, take the time to test drive, and check the cars inside and out before making your decision. I don't think I would take anything as gospel that is said on these threads. It comes down to what you like/don't like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the replies. It sounds like all model years for this gen are on average, good to own. I'll have to see what I can find in my general area for used and go from there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Also, are folks that own 2014 happy with their vehicles? Not sure if there were first-run issues that are worth avoiding.
Some are happy and some aren't. I have a very early 2014 - somewhere around a June 2013 production. I've now had it for 2 years and around 24K miles and I've been 'very' happy with mine. I really enjoy driving it. I haven't had any issues other than a recall for checking the torque on some bolts (mine were fine) and there's an outstanding recall on the seat belts which I haven't done yet but those kinds of things seem to happen to almost any vehicle.

There have been some MDXs, not just early ones, that had some poorly aligned panels - like one of the doors, etc. so regardless of which one you buy, from an early 2014 to a new 2016, check the body panel alignment closely.

Like Elvis said, for most USA 2015 models (not sure about Canada) there were some 'minor' (not 'major' IMO) changes in the infotainment system that amounted to an updated software on essentially the same platform/head unit. Although IMO Acura should have applied these same changes to the 2014 they refuse to do so at the expense of customer satisfaction. Given that, even though this was a 'minor' change given that it's the same basic unit and not something completely different (like Carplay or something) the fix addressed probably the top several annoyances I've experienced with the infotainment/Nav system. I'd consider it 'desirable' but nothing I'd pay extra hundreds of dollars for if it came down to that. My recommendation - whichever model you decide on - play with the infotainment/Nav system for a while to see how it works and whether you find something annoying enough to sway your purchase decision. You can also download the Nav manual from the Acura site and peruse it beforehand.

There have been a number of posts about 'avoiding the first production year' and the perspective is understandable yet I purchased the first model year on this and I've done it before. What's interesting and a fact is that the 'second model year' tended to have the same quality issues as the first model year (mis-aligned panels, noises from the rear, etc.) and the 'third model year' seems to have some of the same complaints. Keep in mind though that not 'all' MDXs of the particular model year have the same problems which is why it's important to check out the particular MDX you're thinking of buying. Of course, if you buy a used one you should 'especially' check it out but you at least will still be under the factory warranty for any that you buy.

Whether buying new or used, when checking one out, get in it, check out the interior thoroughly, play with the infotainment and Nav, understand the safety features depending on the options you get (Tech, Advance, etc.). Check out the exterior thoroughly as well paying special attention to the body panels, paint quality, etc.

Take it on an extended test drive that includes the freeway, local roads, something with some bumps, curves, etc. with the radio OFF and the salesperson silent and keep an ear out for any weird noises, rattles, thumps, etc.

When looking at costs, used is almost always less than new and more used (older model year, more miles) is almost always less than less used. When looking and thinking about costs try to compare apples to apples as best you can since the feature differences on the MDX models are costly - base to Tech to Advance to SHAWD or not, etc.

btw - I have a 2014 Tech SHAWD. I really like the shawd handling in the mountains even though I live in an area where it never snows and seldom rains.

I'm quite happy with my MDX and would readily do the same transaction again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am on the same boat; looking for a 2016 SHAWD with AcuraWatch. the best deal I can get in Denver, CO area is 45K, plus TTL. which is about 1k over invoice.

I am going to wait and buy when I can get it at or 1k below invoice. I am not in rush

If anyone here in Denver area can negotiate for less, please let me know your deal

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking to buy at 2016 SHAWD with Adv + Ent Package

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2016 MDX in the SF Bay Area. So far, through Costco club pricing, I'm able to get a 2016 SHAWD, Adv+Ent for around 53K before options and TTL. Unfortunately, the color combo that I'm looking for is unavailable. I guess I have to order so I'm not in a rush. Can anyone confirm if this is a good deal? Also, what are people paying for the extended warranty through Acura? I'd like to extend it to the 8 year, 100K mile warranty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Check sources like Truecar, KBB, Edmunds to get an idea of the actual factory invoice prices to get an idea of where your price is around invoice - above, below, etc., whether there are any special incentives to the dealers which increase their margin which could result in more dealing power for you, and what people are generally paying for the vehicle.

Note - the Costco (or AAA or your credit union, etc.) can make it easy to buy the vehicle at a relatively decent price but you can usually do better than that if you deal directly with the dealer's internet sales department - just be ready to shop different dealers and not succumb to their tactics. They'll try to not give you a price over the phone or email and get you into their office, a common sales tactic, but I've been successful getting prices over the phone/email regardless. If they're not willing to do it I simply contact a different dealer. I don't mind driving an extra 15 or 30 minutes (or couple hours) for teh purchase to save hundreds or thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like 2015 AWD Advance are around $48k CPO. Given that I don't care about most of the Advance features, only safety, even if I paid MSRP for a 2016 AWD + Acura Watch at $47k, I might be better off that route.

Do folks see dealers dropping more off the price for new versus CPO?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Looks like 2015 AWD Advance are around $48k CPO. Given that I don't care about most of the Advance features, only safety, even if I paid MSRP for a 2016 AWD + Acura Watch at $47k, I might be better off that route.

Do folks see dealers dropping more off the price for new versus CPO?
I would test drive both to see with one will support your lifestyle the best. Usually, the middle model provides the best value (tech+Acura watch); but, sometimes it is nice to a few extra features for an enjoyable ride.

The first owner took the biggest depreciation hit saving you a ton of money. Acura and Lexus make the best used vehicles and seem to last the longer with less maint compared to other luxury brands; if you keep your vehicles +100,000 miles. This might be some of the extra features you might have with the 15 Adv+sh-awd -vs- 16 base+sh-awd+Acura Watch at around $1,000-$4,000 difference (depending on mileage):

Acura Navigation System with 3D view
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with exclusive street and freeway conditions
Traffic Rerouting
AcuraLink The Next Generation
Color Multi-Information Display (MID) with turn-by-turn guidance
GPS-linked10 climate control
Acura/ELS Studio Premium Audio System with 10 speakers
HD Radio
Song By Voice
Rain-sensing wipers
LED puddle lights
19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Heated 2nd-row seats (outboard positions)
2nd-row side sunshades (manual)
Front center console 110-volt power outlet
Acura DVD Rear Entertainment System with 16.2-inch ultrawide full VGA screen and HDMI compatibility
Acura/ELS Studio Premium Audio System with 12 speakers
Perforated Milano premium leather-trimmed interior
Heated and ventilated front seats
Front passenger’s power-lumbar support
Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with head-up warning
Front seat belt e-pretensioner system
Auto dimming side mirrors
Remote engine start with vehicle feedback
Front and rear parking sensors
Roof rails
full size spare

·
Registered
132 Posts
You've received some good analysis on whether to go CPO versus new, but I'd like to speak of your decision to buy your first MDX.

We've owned many different makes and models, from Ford to BMW, and our 2006 MDX is the best vehicle we've ever owned.

When my 2013 Hyundai Veloster lease is up here in a few months, we're looking to get my wife a new 2016 MDX. I will take over the 2006 MDX, which has about 146K miles and is still going strong.

So we'll have 2 MDXs in our garage, 10 model years apart. :29:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts