Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I am looking at 100,000 miles, some have the milestone maintenence done on it some dont. I have a difference of opinion with a friend and curious of other people opinions of who you think should have the responsibility of this cost. From what i hear it is a huge chunk of change, something like $1,500. repair bill. If it were done at a dealership for timing belt and spark plugs, idk whatelse is involved.. Who should pay for that? The buyer or seller? Imo, If the seller wants top dollar for their vehicle, it should be in good condition, interior, exterior and mechanical. I realize people are dumping them off so they can avoid the cost but really, is it worth top dollar if i have to purchase something with a loan then get another loan to fix it?

Or do I not deserve to drive such a luxry vehicle because the cost of repair are expensive for me?

What are your thoughts? I would say it should be in the price of the negotiation, but for full amount or meet in the middle?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would say that if you're needing a loan to buy a vehicle with 100k miles, then you're buying too much vehicle... Focus more on basic, reliable transportation and buy something less expensive.

To answer your direct question, I think it is reasonable to deduct reasonable expected costs for maintenance that was not done, and should have been done. The seller doesn't have to accept your offer, if they don't want to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Are MDX repairs and maintenance more expensive then Honda? I own a Honda and can afford repairs fine. I heard the price is higher in Acura for the Luxury, not the parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i didnt get a loan for the whole amount, only half but thats not the point. Not many ppl carry around 10k to 15k cash and drop it all on a car even if they do have it. I guess i opened myself up to that one. Ughhh

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thank you. Are MDX repairs and maintenance more expensive then Honda? I own a Honda and can afford repairs fine. I heard the price is higher in Acura for the Luxury, not the parts.
It depends. The MDX can be substantially similar to the Honda Pilot, in terms of maintenance needed. However, the cost can vary greatly depending on where you service it.

Repair costs ARE higher if you use an Acura dealer. It's a luxury brand, and the Acura dealer will offer a higher level of amenities, such as free loaner vehicles, a more well-equipped lounge, snacks, etc. Beyond that, they charge more because "they can".

If you use a Honda dealer, then costs will (mostly) be at Honda prices.

There are some parts that are Acura-specific. I'm not sure the rhyme/reason for it, but there are subtle differences. For example, the 2005 MDX you'd think would basically be similar to a 1st generation Honda Pilot. And in many ways it is. But the brake caliper bolt is drastically difference, and the two are not interchangeable. And finding the brake caliper bolt is darn hard -- even at Acura dealers they're out of stock across the whole country. However, you can find the Honda bolt no-problem. Too bad it doesn't work. Ask me how I know ;-)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
No i didnt get a loan for the whole amount, only half but thats not the point. Not many ppl carry around 10k to 15k cash and drop it all on a car even if they do have it. I guess i opened myself up to that one. Ughhh
I don't want to beat the horse to death, so I'll keep it brief. I was just providing what I felt was sound personal finance advice.

You said in your OP that you'd have to take out a second loan to pay for a routine (albeit large) service. That's a primary indicator that you're overextending yourself with the purchase.

Reactions: thegazelle

·
Registered
750 Posts
Do not fall in love with any car. Let it go.

Clean, Average, and Rough.
When you look up the price of a car online, you'll see that condition matters. Black Book Weekly Values Lite

Condition is not just door dings, bald tires, and fluid leaks.
It's service records also.

Acura recommends the timing belt service at 7 years or 105,000 miles.

Everyone buying a used car knows that they will find issues, over the first few months.
Don't add a major TB issue to your list, without devaluing the "condition" rating.

Here are some issues that cause me to lower the "condition" value, when I shop:

3 owners, 1 accident, 5 dents, 1 fluid leak, Major service due.

If the car has only one of these issues it is not "Clean" and very often is not "Average" either.

I don't consider cars that smoke when accelerating or have a salvage/bonded title, just because.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a very interesting informative thread! I am new to this buying thing and maybe it is over extending my purchase. I dont go to a dealer, My husband does most the work, then if he cant, I go to a guy who is half the cost of a dealer. Having a second car makes it budget friendly for me.

I dont think I realized SUV parts will be much more expensive then Honda car parts. For the most part my husband can do most maintenane but I would like to know I will be able to afford it when my husband can't.

I was exagerating on the routine maintenance because repairs can really get up there. My mechanic swears by Acuras, as he rebuilds Hondas. I dont doubt him one bit. I am just a thorough and careful purchaser. I chose Acura for the Honda reputation and having been a toyota/honda owner all my life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as falling in love with any one car... i cant go to a lot and just pick out a car, it has to be a Honda or Acura then the love can start. LoL i prefer MDX. Colors can change but im going to have a heck of a time going to a lot and pretending I dont need that brand and model just to get a good deal, lol. I watched a video last night that suggested to never tell the dealer thats what ou really want tell the salssman otherwize to get a good deal. ?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As far as falling in love with any one car... i cant go to a lot and just pick out a car, it has to be a Honda or Acura then the love can start. LoL i prefer MDX. Colors can change but im going to have a heck of a time going to a lot and pretending I dont need that brand and model just to get a good deal, lol. I watched a video last night that suggested to never tell the dealer thats what ou really want tell the salssman otherwize to get a good deal. ?
Silly games. I say tell the salesman what you want and let them find it. No need to pretend you don't like the MDX or that you're considering anything other than Honda/Acura, if that's how you feel. You just tell them you need the right deal on the right vehicle. Doesn't mean they can show you any Honda/Acura and you'll just yell:

In fact, an argument could be made that lying, practicing deceit, or feigning disinterest may actually work against you. Better to be honest, so you get what you want quickly. If they don't have what you want, can't get what you want, or the price isn't right all you have to do is say "no".

·
Registered
278 Posts
SUV does cost more to maintain in general for example if you compare tires for a Honda civic or accord they will almost double in price for the mdx $400 vs $700 ish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts