Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We are looking at 2014/15 MDXs. Any specific problems we should be looking for? I've read about some problems on here, but not really sure how to check and see if these have been a problem or fixed on the ones we are looking at. Also, curious about pricing. We haven't bought a used car in awhile so didn't know how much negotiating we should be able to do? The ones we are looking at seem reasonably priced, but wondering if we should try to offer less and how much less. What's reasonable ($500? $1000 less)?

Of the 2 we are considering one is a certified used 2014 and the other is a 2015 not certified. The 2015 is about $1000 more with 1000 less miles. All other things equal which would you pick?

Thanks for any advice! We currently have a 2007 MDX that I will be passing onto my daughter, excited to get a newer one for me!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't advise on the Certified vs not certified but I purchased a Certified 2015 as I preferred it over the 2016 at the time. Very happy with my purchase. From reading this forum the biggest difference I can see between the 2014 and 2015 is the electronics on the 2015 are better. There have been several software updates to the electronics/navigation in the 2015 and newer models but the 2014 apparently has older software/hardware so it has not kept pace on many of these changes.

There is a lot of griping on the Acura MDX electronics but personally I think they are very good. I have an 2015 Advance and am pleased with the stereo and navigation. All the added safety features are a welcome upgrade from my 2004 4Runner Ltd.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have an early 2014 - just over 4 years old now. I really like it and am glad I purchased it. It's had no problems at all - other than the battery finally failed today, which I just now replaced, but that's to be expected after 4 years.

- Take the prospective vehicle on a good long test drive, with the radio off, over varying roads including some with some bumps. Listen for any unusual noises - especially coming from the back end or the front shock areas. Some people have complained about 'rear thump sounds' over some rougher surfaces but mine has never had that problem. There's a TSB out about it where I think the shocks get replaced if the dealer's convinced it's a problem.

- Listen for any unusual noises coming from the engine compartment - especially when just sitting there idling. Some people have complained about ticking type noises. I haven't had this issue.

- Look over every body panel paying special attention to the panel alignment and gaps. Some of these (2014, 2015, and even 2016) had some poorly aligned panels.

- Make sure you understand what you're getting with the infotainment and Nav (assuming yours has the Nav). Some people have been underwhelmed and have complained but most of those complaints should have at least been known by the purchaser beforehand. I think there's room for improvement, as there is with almost all manufacturer's infotain systems, but it generally works. I have the nav and it generally works as well although there are some goofy aspects to it. Some of the goofy aspects were addressed in the 2015 system that Acura didn't offer to the 2014 owners like me. It's essentially the same system but with a few software tweaks on the 2015. IMO this difference isn't worth spending much extra on, if anything.

- Certified/not certified comes down to warranty, which is essentially insurance. The 2015 will likely still be under the full factory bumper to bumper warranty and the 2014 might be just beyond the full bumper to bumper (like mine - just past 4 years old) but would still have power train warranty left unless the mileage is very high. The CPO warranty on the 2014 likely exceeds the factory warranty period on the 2015 but check the fine details and bounce that against the miles on the vehicle as well as how many miles you think you'll put on in a year.

- The 2014/2015 are the same vehicle with the exception of the couple of software based infotain tweaks I mentioned above. Any issues some people had on the 2014 persisted through the 2015 model year and beyond in some cases.

Just be very discerning in your test drive and body inspection - as you should be with any vehicle you buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts