Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Our current family vehicle is a 2005 5.7L Grand Cherokee. I love it but it won't fit the fouth kid we will have in a few months.
So a search for a people mover started. If I'm lucky I can keep the jeep and trade in our second car being a 2.5XT Subaru Forester (a reliable runabout with 350k kms on it).

Volvo XC90 research brought me to an Acura MDX comparison, and I've been intrigued ever since.
I'm in New Zealand (Australasia) and down here they are a Honda MDX and right hand drive. They stopped making them for us after 2006 because they didn't sell well at that time which is unfortunate. This explains the limits in models available to me.

Currently for sale in NZ are six 2004s (all available on our "trademe.co.nz" website), ranging from 88k kilometres (not miles) to 160k kms, all imports from Japan. Price point is from $8,900 up to $12,000.
The cheapest one available is 126k kms at $8,900 from an importer/dealer (ie consumer protection available), black leather, wooden steering wheel, drop down video, sunroof.

I've only ever seen two of these vehicles on the road, and one briefly in a sales yard while catching a flight. While Honda is as popular as toyota here, the MDX not so much. It's a short 500km drive to the closest city with a few options. The one above that interests me I'll have to buy unsighted and fly to collect it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Our alternative seems to be a mid 90s Toyota Prado twice the kms for more money.
Or bite the bullet and admit to a MPV or Estima...

Towing is the only missing factor with the MDX.

Is there anyone else on this forum from Australia or New Zealand?
Thanks to all in advance.

Lyndon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Our current family vehicle is a 2005 5.7L Grand Cherokee. I love it but it won't fit the fouth kid we will have in a few months.
So a search for a people mover started. If I'm lucky I can keep the jeep and trade in our second car being a 2.5XT Subaru Forester (a reliable runabout with 350k kms on it).

Volvo XC90 research brought me to an Acura MDX comparison, and I've been intrigued ever since.
I'm in New Zealand (Australasia) and down here they are a Honda MDX and right hand drive. They stopped making them for us after 2006 because they didn't sell well at that time which is unfortunate. This explains the limits in models available to me.

Currently for sale in NZ are six 2004s (all available on our "trademe.co.nz" website), ranging from 88k kilometres (not miles) to 160k kms, all imports from Japan. Price point is from $8,900 up to $12,000.
The cheapest one available is 126k kms at $8,900 from an importer/dealer (ie consumer protection available), black leather, wooden steering wheel, drop down video, sunroof.

I've only ever seen two of these vehicles on the road, and one briefly in a sales yard while catching a flight. While Honda is as popular as toyota here, the MDX not so much. It's a short 500km drive to the closest city with a few options. The one above that interests me I'll have to buy unsighted and fly to collect it.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Our alternative seems to be a mid 90s Toyota Prado twice the kms for more money.
Or bite the bullet and admit to a MPV or Estima...

Towing is the only missing factor with the MDX.

Is there anyone else on this forum from Australia or New Zealand?
Thanks to all in advance.

Lyndon
I own a 2004 MDX and it has been a great car for a family of five plus our Aussie and lots of stuff going to a weekend house from NYC.
According to our mechanic, it would be fairly inexpensive to add a towing option and the MDX has the power to haul some things. While it has not been a big repair money pit, you should plan for a new transmission on any car that has managed this long without replacement.
Since I have been to your beautiful country, I wish I could drive my MDX to NZ but there is that slight issues of thousands of miles of ocean.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response and will look at adding the towing option. Water is a bit of a kill-joy when it comes between land destinations. Even 12kms of it between our two main islands is a nuisance at times, especially when there are more vehicle options at better prices on the other island. But being in the South Island I'm in no hurry to move closer to Auckland than is necessary!

My only experience with North America is via the telly and photos from my brother-in-laws (twins) who did a grain harvesting run for a season up the middle of USA and into Canada. They say your country is vast and beautiful also. And a ute in USA is a pickup which is actually a small truck. A 4wd ute with two massively wide bench seats would be awesome for a rural family of six, though I wonder how the wife would go in supermarket car park spaces designed for japan imports.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.