Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE
Hey Guys, Sorry for the late reply, I want to share the update with you guys, I am someone who “looks before they leap” so I am researching this vehicle to ensure it is in good shape before buying, and this is a salvage title,I found out that when reselling It's will harder to go and I don't want to loose $, I decided to run a VIN Check from this site: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, They provide auction history with PHOTOS, the damage on the car is at the front, please look at the report and the pictures, and give me your thought on it, me I don't think it's a good deal.

Here is the report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/2HNYD2H79BH502129

Hello, I consider it a great privilege to be amongst acura mdx users and enthusiasts! I look forward to learning and contributing to this mdx forum,
In the meantime, I found this 2011 acura mdx. It has been my dream to own it, and I think I just found a perfect opportunity to make that happen.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $12,500 and it has 110350 miles with a Salvage Title.
If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light Tire

Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering wheel
L

·
Registered
931 Posts
She looks gorgeous in white but run away as fast as you can! You will end up broke with her!
HOWEVER, grab it as fast as you can if the seller willing to let go for under $5 grand. Ask him if he know anything about oil burning issue and if he say not aware of then he is lying!

I think the owner of this vehicle is lurking in this forum! Just saying.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I have an 11 MDX Adv+Ent with +154,000 miles. The salvage title would be my biggest concern. There should be enough MDXs out there without having to pick a salvage title at that price. The MDX looks like an Advance model; but, it is missing the plastic cover inside the grill below the shield for the ACC/CMBS radar?

You have to double-check with the 07-13 2nd Gen are:
  • oil consumption (10-13 MDX, as bad as 1qt per 1000 miles)
  • trans fluid mixing with coolant from OEM radiator (07-09 models)
  • bluetooth module failures (07-09 models)
  • P/S and/or P/S rack leaks
  • normal wear/tear of alternator and A/C system
  • battery cable corrosion
  • Active damper system magnetic struts/shock failures on 07-09 Sport or 10-13 Adv
  • HIDs failures with bulbs or ballast
  • DRL and/or cracked fog lens or UV hazing
  • water in passenger footwell area or rear hatch (clogged drain hose from sunroof)
  • driver's side door harness intermittent issues or failures (no memory seats or power issue with driver's door)
  • seat heaters failures
  • key fob range
  • door and/or hatch actuators
  • failed close hood sensors causing car alarm
  • stuck 2nd row cup holder
  • bad/blown speakers
  • 07-09 navi CD-ROM reader failures (switched to hard-drive based system for 10-13)
  • underbody rust (if you live in the rust belt)
  • 100% city mpgs as bad as 14-16 on required +91 octane

Price is probably an issue; but, I would lean really really hard towards a +14 MDX. All the issues found in the 07-13 MDX are pretty much non-existent with the +14 models. The city mpgs on the +14 MDX can equal or be better than the hwy mpgs for the 07-13 MDXs. You can run +87 octane without issue. Upgrades like LED headlights, 2nd row seat adjustments, lighter vehicle weight, faster acceleration, upgrade with sh-awd system, safety tech, and updated info-tainment are a plus.

Sample pic from internet of ACC/CMBS radar plastic cover:

Attachments

• Helpful
Reactions: Peter22

·
Registered
2013 MDX
7 Posts
Hello, I consider it a great privilege to be amongst acura mdx users and enthusiasts! I look forward to learning and contributing to this mdx forum,
In the meantime, I found this 2011 acura mdx. It has been my dream to own it, and I think I just found a perfect opportunity to make that happen.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $12,500 and it has 110350 miles with a Salvage Title.
If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
View attachment 122332
View attachment 122333
View attachment 122334
View attachment 122335 L
THAT'S THE INTERIOIR I WANTED!! BUT THE MODEL I WENT TO GO SEE HAD 119,000 MILES ON IT AND NO GOODIES TWO OWNERS. THANKING THE GOOD LORD I DIDN'T GET IT BECAUSE THERE WAS ANOTHER A LITTLE CLOSER TO HOME WITH ALL THE GOODIES I WANTED AND ONLY 64,000 MILES ONE OWNER. I WISH YOU BEST AND GREAT DETAILED INSPECTION LIST.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just moved from 2011 to 2014 MDX a few months ago. A different planet: no oil consumption, 10 MPG higher fuel economy, quieter, smoother, zero issues. Just a way better unit. And they are all over the place in the $15-20k range with miles. Best bargain out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a used 2011 MDX with 67,000 miles on it with great maintenance history. About 2,000 miles into ownership I got a low oil pressure light. The oil had just been changed at 66,000 miles and it was 3.5 quarts down already. About 1,000 miles later my timing belt jumped a couple of teeth when the tensioner failed. Can't just replace the timing belt and parts until you know you didn't damage the valves so also had to pay for some diagnostic work just to make sure it was worth changing the timing belt and broken parts. It did qualify for Acura MDX Oil Consumption (3 tests of 1000 miles were 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 qts down) and Acura replaced the pistons, etc which did solve the oil consumption problem. Then the suspension went. Front went first. Then the rear. Crazy dealer estimate for repair using OEM parts was $3750 for front and $2600 for the rear. Electronic suspensions are expensive and don't have great longevity. I went with a conversion kit from a third party but that still cost about $2500 with labor and an alignment. The car has been nothing but a money pit. I couldn't even get the OEM parts from the dealer when I finally got tired or clunking around town and bouncing around on the highway so i had to go with the third party.

Now with a "salvage" title in many states you can't legally drive the car until you have proven that it is driveable. What is the process in your state to get the title to rebuilt/restored?

Then there is the issue of trying to get insurance with a "salvage" title.

This will not be a dream it will be a nightmare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Guys, Sorry for the late reply, I want to share the update with you guys, I am someone who “looks before they leap” so I am researching this vehicle to ensure it is in good shape before buying, and this is a salvage title,I found out that when reselling It's will harder to go and I don't want to loose $, I decided to run a VIN Check from this site: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, They provide auction history with PHOTOS, the damage on the car is at the front, please look at the report and the pictures, and give me your thought on it, me I don't think it's a good deal.

Here is the report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/2HNYD2H79BH502129

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bought my 2011 in May 2019 w/ 95K and now has 153K. Did my complete 100K svc w/ belts, water pump & plugs. Lucked into having a SnapOn guy that worked @ Honda dealer for 8 yrs do it on the side for $450+parts.

• Runs great but does consume a quart of oil between changes
  • Major repairs include catalytic conv, O2 sensor & alternator
  • Had a TPMS issue even after replacing all 4 sensors. Finally found a good automotive electrical guy that found one of the receivers in the wheel well was cracked @ the wire connection. Couldn’t get a replacement due to supply chain so he used silicone w/ a wire tie to fix it. Charged me $250 & said if it ever failed, he would replace for cost of the new receiver. Still working today.
  • Have the hazy headlights issue that I need to have cleaned up just been putting it off
  • Seat coolers seem to have died or barely work
  • Starter is intermittently taking a little longer to kick in so it’s probably next

Other than that, it’s been good (knock on wood). Had two Gen 1’s previously

·
Registered
2013 MDX
7 Posts
I bought a used 2011 MDX with 67,000 miles on it with great maintenance history. About 2,000 miles into ownership I got a low oil pressure light. The oil had just been changed at 66,000 miles and it was 3.5 quarts down already. About 1,000 miles later my timing belt jumped a couple of teeth when the tensioner failed. Can't just replace the timing belt and parts until you know you didn't damage the valves so also had to pay for some diagnostic work just to make sure it was worth changing the timing belt and broken parts. It did qualify for Acura MDX Oil Consumption (3 tests of 1000 miles were 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 qts down) and Acura replaced the pistons, etc which did solve the oil consumption problem. Then the suspension went. Front went first. Then the rear. Crazy dealer estimate for repair using OEM parts was $3750 for front and $2600 for the rear. Electronic suspensions are expensive and don't have great longevity. I went with a conversion kit from a third party but that still cost about $2500 with labor and an alignment. The car has been nothing but a money pit. I couldn't even get the OEM parts from the dealer when I finally got tired or clunking around town and bouncing around on the highway so i had to go with the third party.

Now with a "salvage" title in many states you can't legally drive the car until you have proven that it is driveable. What is the process in your state to get the title to rebuilt/restored?

Then there is the issue of trying to get insurance with a "salvage" title.

This will not be a dream it will be a nightmare.
HELLO, I WOULD SAY YOU WERE VERY FORTUNANTE. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT ACURA WAS ONLY TAKING CARE OF THE EXTENDED WRNTY. FOR THE OIL CNSP. UNTIL 2019 ONLY......?

·
Registered
931 Posts
You are correct. I can't say enough about how Acura stood behind their product. I started the first oil consumption test right before the deadline expired, but that was enough to qualify for the program.
It’s depending who is your dealer. Some Acura dealers are just for your money. Remember Acura dealers are not part of Acura they are just an independent resellers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts