Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been using the magnetic mounts that attach to the vent but because of the way the vents are it’s not a great fit and it either blocks the A/C or it gets to hot with the heat.

what are you folks using with success?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the 2015 there’s no car play so I do need to see my phone’s screen for GPS maps (Waze, Google Maps)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use one that automatically clamps the phone when you place it. It also has wireless charging so you don't need to plug in your phone when you use it. Makes it really convenient if you get in and out of your car frequently. I have had it since January of 2019 and it still works great. There's a battery built in so even when it isn't plugged in, it will still grab and release your phone (probably about 50 times) before it needs to be plugged in again, but of course it does not charge your phone if it doesn't have power. I like that because my phone is almost always charged and can still have a clean look while using this with no power cords dangling from it. Also, there is nothing blocking the charge port so on longer trips I plug the phone into the USB slot and run the audio off of the iPod input rather than bluetooth.

I have mine suction mounted to the upper screen and the support arm pushes down on the dashboard a bit to keep the phone from shaking around when I'm driving off pavement. I can easily aim the vent right at me, or I can aim it on the phone when it's in direct sunlight to keep the phone screen from dimming down when it gets too hot. The suction cup covers the top screen just a bit but it doesn't block any information. See below:

EDIT: I have my phone case mounted in this photo so you can see where the phone rests

My mount was by Andobil and I got it on amazon for about $45, but currently it looks like they do not sell it, but I am sure there are several other just like it.

Reactions: dan596 and al-n-ak

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If I mounted on the vent in winter, I mount on the vent next to the door (not center console area) and shutoff the vent so it won't be too HOT with the heat.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use one that automatically clamps the phone when you place it. It also has wireless charging so you don't need to plug in your phone when you use it. Makes it really convenient if you get in and out of your car frequently. I have had it since January of 2019 and it still works great. There's a battery built in so even when it isn't plugged in, it will still grab and release your phone (probably about 50 times) before it needs to be plugged in again, but of course it does not charge your phone if it doesn't have power. I like that because my phone is almost always charged and can still have a clean look while using this with no power cords dangling from it. Also, there is nothing blocking the charge port so on longer trips I plug the phone into the USB slot and run the audio off of the iPod input rather than bluetooth.

I have mine suction mounted to the upper screen and the support arm pushes down on the dashboard a bit to keep the phone from shaking around when I'm driving off pavement. I can easily aim the vent right at me, or I can aim it on the phone when it's in direct sunlight to keep the phone screen from dimming down when it gets too hot. The suction cup covers the top screen just a bit but it doesn't block any information. See below:
View attachment 115390
EDIT: I have my phone case mounted in this photo so you can see where the phone rests
View attachment 115391
View attachment 115392

My mount was by Andobil and I got it on amazon for about $45, but currently it looks like they do not sell it, but I am sure there are several other just like it.
I really like this idea. Thanks for the photos. It helps a lot. How is the stability over bumps and such?

What I like most is it’s not mounted to the windshield and it’s mounted to the top screen which is pretty useless now. That’s a great idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I really like this idea. Thanks for the photos. It helps a lot. How is the stability over bumps and such?

What I like most is it’s not mounted to the windshield and it’s mounted to the top screen which is pretty useless now. That’s a great idea.
I'm not a fan of having things blocking my windshield. Better visibility and no interference when putting up the sunshade.

Regarding bumps, it kind of depends. Overall it does well, especially on highway and smooth roads. Where I'm currently at, I'm about 6 miles way from pavement and it does a fair bit of shaking (about 30mph over washboard roads), but I'm sure even a vent mount would be shaking from that too. But it hasn't fallen off yet!

On smooth roads, if the arm is fully extended there's a bit of movement, but I remedied that by having the extension arm rest on part of the dashboard. The closer the phone is to the base it becomes much more stable, but I like how I can touch the maps with my right hand still on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
here is my mount. Not the greatest but it works good, and I can see everything on it. I might do the same mount on my 2019 TLX. I am used to the mount I had the same thing on my Accord and I like it. My TLX has wireless charging, but if I want to use apple car play it has to be plugged in so I don't mind putting it in the after market phone holder, bcs I don't need the wireless charger. IMO

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is pretty nice, but cup holders are premium space in my mdx, I wish it had at least 10 more, esp on trips.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That is pretty nice, but cup holders are premium space in my mdx, I wish it had at least 10 more, esp on trips.
I agree. My wife had one had a similar holder but if two people are in the car with drinks, the passenger would end up holding theirs.
A buddy has a vent mount holder for his 2015 Audi A8 that he likes, but I am concerned it would break the vent tabs. As an aside the cupholders in his A8 are so small, few cups will fit.

That is why I like CarPlay in my 20 Advance. I can just plug in and lay my phone on the lower console door that has the non-skid ribs.

Reactions: al-n-ak

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is why I like CarPlay in my 20 Advance. I can just plug in and lay my phone on the lower console door that has the non-skid ribs.
[/QUOTE]

I have the CarPlay in my TLX but I still like to look at my phone I guess it's a habit. I put phone holder (suction cup style in my earlier post), in the same spot as my MDX on the TLX and I like it we'll see if it wears on me.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I use carplay and phone together on the MDX. CarPlay screen shows map, next turn and estimate arrival time and phone shows turn by turn direction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve been using the magnetic mounts that attach to the vent but because of the way the vents are it’s not a great fit and it either blocks the A/C or it gets to hot with the heat.

Check out Weathe rTech. They have a neat one that fits in the cup holder.

·
Registered
575 Posts
As always, it pays to search for pre-existing threads. The holder I use now is the iOttie 4, which is perfect and doesn't shake. See here (and look at the entire thread for other ideas): Cellphone mounts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As always, it pays to search for pre-existing threads. The holder I use now is the iOttie 4, which is perfect and doesn't shake. See here (and look at the entire thread for other ideas): Cellphone mounts
Nice. I now have this one in my cart.
I appreciate it.

·
Registered
Acura MDX 2015 Tech.
19 Posts

I use cd mount, its very sturdy butit blocks the display of infotainment system. If its not a deal breaker for you then you can try cd mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts