Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem finding OEM TPMS sensors. A lot of Acura suppliers are showing the part as discontinued. Places that do have them want at least $47 for each which is an outrage since I bought a set last year for my snow tires for $120 all 4. There is now way I will but aftermarket ones since I don't trust them. I'm getting a feeling also that the those that are available are NOS and I'm dubious of how long they will last. I've tried Acurapartsnow and they informed me they are on back order and are unsure when they'll get more. They were wanting only $31 each.
Is there a part number that supercedes 06421-S3V-A04? It appears the OM is TRW and even those are expensive.
I've got new tires on order and I can't mount them unless I can get replacement sensors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try OEMAcuraparts.com but the price is exactly what you described. You can also check on ebay, just search the part number and see if you are able to find a price that’s reasonable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've checked them, Ebay and others. Nothing seems reasonable out there anymore. My original set started going out last fall. Not bad for 12 years. I'm running snow tires now with the set of sensors I bought last year. If I would have known the part was getting discontinued, I would have bought an extra set.
I have found some places selling 42753-SHJ-A53 as fitting my year of MDX for much less than the 06421-S3V-A04 but many suppliers indicate they are not compatible so I have doubts.
I'm thinking I'll probably have to pony up the extra cash for the OEM's. It just frustrates me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMG_5526.jpg

Are these A01’s not compatible? I bought a pair for my 04 MDX and they worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't look at them because I didn't think they're OEM. I don't ever buy aftermarket anything anymore. I've wasted too much money on stuff that didn't last.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I replaced the sensors on our 06 a little over 2 yrs ago with the SMP brand from rockauto. 36 month warranty and about $32 each with shipping. Basically, you’re depending on the battery and electronics to last. The valve is typically rebuilt when tires are changed.

Had them installed with new tires. Since the shop usually removes the sensor and rebuilds the valve anyway, Costco installed the new ones for no charge. America’s Tire would have done the same at new tire install when I inquired. Else both would have charged about $15/tire if the existing tire was to be removed and reinstalled/rebalanced.

I recall it took a couple days for the sensors to link with the X (the tire light would come and go) but since they linked, no problems.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,2006,mdx,3.5l+v6,1432637,wheel,tire+pressure+monitoring+system+(tpms)+sensor,12036

As a side note, I had to return a fuel pump under warranty to rockauto and it was pretty painless. Had to pay for return shipping but with their discounted rate. Based on that experience, I have no concerns buying parts from them.

Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some dealers have them in stock like mine but they want over $70 a piece. I may just look into disabling the system altogether. I've done fine driving cars with a $5 TPMS for over 30 years. It's called a tire pressure gauge plus it's more accurate when properly used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bit the bullet and paid out $202 with tax and shipping for a set of OEM sensors. I just couldn't find anyone who would sell them for less. I guess what I saved on the tires will partially pay for the sensors. Costco had a one day special on Michelin tires that will return me 25% on the purchase price after they install them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tirerack has the for $39 each for your year MDX. They have them my 08 MDX for $28 each. I'm starting to get the "Check TPMS System" message when the temps dip into the 30s or 40s, so they are on their way out. Tirerack is the cheapest place I've found them, once their free shipping is considered.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the one from Tire Rack and I couldn't find if they were OEM's. I'm firmly set on buying OEM parts because if some aftermarket/unknown brands start going out in less that 10 years, I'll have to shell out money replacing them before I replace the tires again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I checked the one from Tire Rack and I couldn't find if they were OEM's. I'm firmly set on buying OEM parts because if some aftermarket/unknown brands start going out in less that 10 years, I'll have to shell out money replacing them before I replace the tires again.
As you have already pointed out, one of the potential pitfalls with OEM is getting new old stock. Happened to me when I was insistent on replacing the ones on my 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette with genuine AC Delco. Three of them were fine. The fourth crapped out in a little over a year. I'm planning on going either with Tirerack or the ones from Rock Auto for just a few bucks more on my 08 MDX. I am less concerned on their status as OEM than I am that they haven't been laying on a shelf somewhere for the past few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts