Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put some protection on front and back for parking, but don't care for the full size ones you see on the monster trucks. You know the ones that cover the headlights and front grill. Someone mentioned an item called a bull bar just goes up and around very basic and can be chromed. They have a similiar one for the rear just a plain chrome circular bar. I thought the company was janos,jonas, or janas. I've seen them on the lexus rx300 and they look perfect not to overwhelming. Any input appreciated? I can't seen to find the company or the correct name?:2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Never heard of Janas or Jonas. etc..but looking for something similar.
Here a thread to this topic earlier in the week.

http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5763&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I have the Rhino for my hitch on order now. It will afford some rear protection as well as convenience. (And it's removable and fairly reasonably priced).
On this thread you will see links to front bars similar to what you are seeking, I believe.
I know the one you are talking about for the rear of an RX300. I thought Manik made those and the picture is on Nordleth. IT's been a while........

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Bull Bar

Check the web site for www.autoseattle.com

Specifically, this page:

http://www.autoseattle.com/tal_and_hadas.htm

The page claims there is a bullbar available for the MDX. The website sells a lot of bars from various companies, but only the Tal & Hadas is listed for the MDX.

I haven't seen an MDX with one yet, though. Maybe you'll be the guinea pig so we can see how it looks. :D

I agree that the ones that cover the headlamps are way too much for the MDX.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I missed those! Not too bad, too large a diameter, I think. Was looking for something for parking protection, not rhino charges....
But the right idea, for sure. It's easy enough to see how they would look on an MDX by all the other fotos. It looks ridiculous on the RAV4, but they could probably use it more. :)
Interesting, they do say it's available in a smaller bar, but all the pics look like 3" diameter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bull bar

its good to see that some company finally is doing something for the MDX. Maybe others are to follow?
I agree with Dale, the RAV looks atrocious. Actually, the only one that i thought looked reasonable was the Mercedes. The bull Bars are all 3 inches in diameter, which are too thick. click the link below for the Westin safari bar. its smaller in diameter, probably closer to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

here is a pic of the safari bar (not MDX)
http://www.ustruckaccessorieswhse.com/wes-saf1.html

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
This is all personal taste, but I hope the one they have for the MDX is relatively understated and only comes up to just below the bottom of the MDX's grill (which is high up). I don't think I would want one that curls up all the way to the top of the grill, I think that would be too weird and not in the MDX's character.

The small bull bars for the ML320/ML500 are the ones I have in mind. They look good on the vehicle, with or without lamps attached to them.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wmquan said:
This is all personal taste, but I hope the one they have for the MDX is relatively understated and only comes up to just below the bottom of the MDX's grill (which is high up). I don't think I would want one that curls up all the way to the top of the grill, I think that would be too weird and not in the MDX's character.

The small bull bars for the ML320/ML500 are the ones I have in mind. They look good on the vehicle, with or without lamps attached to them.
I agree with that thought. I thank all you guys, you all hit it on the head on what I'm looking for the oringinal company was JAOS which I saw on one of the links. I don't want the bar to go up to high, just low for protection or even pushing a car if necessary. You all gave me alot to think about I'm not sure to go chrome or black. Black wouldn't show scratches or marks for the long run and less upkeep, but the chrome do look sweet with my black color. I just have to see if they will fit on front with the lower trim, but I would assume you could adjust how far out you want them. Thanks again everyone for all the great feedback so fast.:2: :5: :18:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like this type

Tal & Hadas for the frony and the JAOS for rear. I can't get the front one to appear, but here is the rear one.

This is the linf to the front one that is on the ML mercedes Bull Bar, made by Tal & Hadas:

http://www.autoseattle.com/tal_and_hadas2.htm

I would like to find one company that makes for the front and rear, I will have to contact JAOS because I saw one on a RX300 and it looked excellent.
These are the types they seem to fit the mid-sized SUV and don't over do it like the maniks, and the ones that cover the headlights.
Thanks again guys you all were a great help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JAOS-Bull Bars and Rear Bumper Guards

I'm starting to get warmer on this company, this explains why they came highlt recommended:

JAOS is dedicated to offering world class Sport Utility Vehicle products available worldwide to the discriminating SUV enthusiast. JAOS was established in 1985, in Tokyo, Japan and since then has quickly become the leading manufacturer of SUV accessories in Asia. JAOS was the first manufacturer to produce an all stainless steel modular bull bar and to this day continues to lead and set all industry standards. With our expansion to the North American Market, as of August 1996, JAOS was again the first company to introduce a full T-304 stainless steel bull bar with a 6-point safety mount. Another industry first in the North American Market. With this type of originality and innovative design, JAOS is proud to be the only company worldwide to offer a complete line of premium accessories and performance parts for today's Sport Utility Vehicle.
Our highly trained teams of engineers take pride and care into every design that comes from the JAOS factory. JAOS has a strong belief in quality, and a total commitment to the pursuit of perfection. In developing and manufacturing their products, JAOS combines our passion for excellence and years of hands-on experience working with OEM's to produce the most durable and best appearing components made for city, highway and off-road use. Along with appearance, safety and vehicle protection are also main issues with JAOS engineers. Utilizing the most technically advanced equipment available today, the highest quality stainless steel, aluminum alloy, premium steel and composite materials, JAOS is able to produce products with premium quality that is unparallaled in the industry.

We carry the full line of Jaos products. If you are unable to find a specific product which you are trying to locate for your vehicle please contact our customer service department.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found their Website

This is the link to the website, but the one I like is more tubular like the one on the ML Mercedes. I believe they have come out with newer ones that are not posted on site I will have to contact them directly. I really like the Tal & hadas look the runs low and doesn't cover grill. I like when the tube runs a little higher than this.

http://www.jaosusa.com/

Here is a pic of one made by Jaos, not quite sure if I really like to much? I wouldn't use the lights IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here'a another

I don't really care for this one it looks like a fancy pushbar from a state police vehicle or cab!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DaleB said:
The Jaos look too commercial, and their prices are much higher too.
The one I'm looking for is a new line which I believe looks less commercial. Yes there prices are high, but IMO you get what you pay for. The longivity of these will be much longer, and if you see the website they use much higher quality components. The less expensive will scratch and peel after a couple of years.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a better pic

Rear on a toyota

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Closer look