Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a good brake fluid flushing pump.
Any recommendations on which brand?
Do the brake fluid flushing before or after replacing the brake pads?Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
you already bought one last year...

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
530 Posts
I also use the HF bleeder using an 8 gal 125 psig. Husky compressor from THD. Still working after many years.

There is another bleeder that does not depend on any compressor but it is about double the price of the HF bleeder. The main container is pressurized with a manual pumping system like the one in yard sprayers. It must be hooked up to the main brake pump with good seal. This means you need to have the proper adapter to the pump's reservoir.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also use the HF bleeder using an 8 gal 125 psig. Husky compressor from THD. Still working after many years.

There is another bleeder that does not depend on any compressor but it is about double the price of the HF bleeder. The main container is pressurized with a manual pumping system like the one in yard sprayers. It must be hooked up to the main brake pump with good seal. This means you need to have the proper adapter to the pump's reservoir.
I don’t have a compressor. I Need a manual pump as it was mentioned by Brian.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don’t have a compressor. I Need a manual pump as it was mentioned by Brian.

I don’t know how to add links here or if link are removed later on. Look at Amazon for similar kits like “ARES 70921-2-Liter Manual Brake Fluid Pressure Bleeder”. That is what you are looking for.

Hope the reservoir adapter fits the MDX.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know how to add links here or if link are removed later on. Look at Amazon for similar kits like “ARES 70921-2-Liter Manual Brake Fluid Pressure Bleeder”. That is what you are looking for.

Hope the reservoir adapter fits the MDX.

PRG,
I found this one on Amazon for $22

·
Registered
530 Posts
PRG,
I found this one on Amazon for $22

Jim,

Thise kind of pumps don’t work as well as you think

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is type is what you would want

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is one kit that has a variety of adapters for $273. Just saying

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Ask your wife, kids or parents to hold the brake for you. Buying a kit for home use is dumb.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ask your wife, kids or parents to hold the brake for you. Buying a kit for home use is dumb.
I am looking for something under $25. I don’t trust them because they could accidentally release the brake pedal while I am doing the bleeding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's really not dumb at all. It's very helpful and can help you do a better job.

There has been some speculation that bleeding brakes the manual way can actually result in damage to the master cylinder on older vehicles. For example the typical brake "stroke" of the master cylinder piston would never allow it to go all the way to floor. By going all the way to the floor pumping the brakes for bleeding you're exercising another area of the master cylinder bore which may not be in the best of condition... aka it may have some minor corrosion or different wear than the rest of the bore. This may impact the seals / rings on the master cylinder piston leading to a bad master cylinder.

Could be purely coincidental evidence, but I've always changed brake fluid on my cars. A brake master cylinder used to be a very common replacement item for me. Since I read that above theory probably 20 years ago and bought that cheap Harbor Freight tool and stopped pumping I've had ZERO master cylinder problems, I don't have to bug my family, and I can get the job done faster and with higher quality. Seems like a great investment for $30 and FAR from dumb.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree 100% with Brian. I do faster and better brake flushes since using the HF bleeder and the air compressor.

The fact is most of us DIYers collect our tools piece by piece starting with simple jobs and the more tools we acquire, the more complex jobs we can deal with over time. Every tool today adds and helps something for the next job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I have to spend $63 plus $28 for the adapter if I want to get this pump.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Orion tech makes another pumping system cheaper for about $49. You could still use the CTA adapter for Honda

1 - 20 of 27 Posts