Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my MDX for about 2 weeks now and I can't help but look at the M.P.G on my trip computer. I am constantly looking at the numbers changing. I even find myself changing my driving habits. When I see the gauge (I don't know what else to call it)go down below 10 or 5, I let up on the gas. I have become a light foot. I have become my Dad(oh no-no-no).
I hope this will stop soon. I am counting on, like everything else in life, after a while you stop noticing. Or I will be using less gas which is a definite plus.
Does anyone else have this problem. Maybe we can start a support group. Just kidding.:p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Warpspeed ~

After a month of ownership, I still tend to keep and eye on the dash panel since my last vehicle was a Ford Expedition and I am delighted:D :D :D when I see it read 21+ mpg! But, it's even MORE fun when I simply ignore what it reads and have fun driving the 'X, m.p.g be damned.;) :eek:

There nothing more fun than letting that engine HOWL!:D :D :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
saving gas?

Warp,

I did this the first two months, trying to see how high I can get the average MPG with each tank. It was kinda a game. Now, I just drive closer to I used to in Sedan. Unfortunately, my MPG has gone down a lot as a result. But it is more fun!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I find that watching the MPG guage has actually improved my driving habbits. I hope to continue, and may be it must be mandated on all cars. We'll have a greener earth :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean Warp--it's a painful thing to have all that power...and then see that little yellow arc plummet down to the bottom.

I figured out the solution--leave it on map or shut it down completely. Yeah, GCK is right, it would leave for a greener earth, but heck--I've done my part--I bought a ULEV SUV!!! :D

I'm with you bro,
Rob :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Like all of you, I've changed my driving habit from watching the MPG screen. I've learnt to anticipate red lights and let my MDX coast slowly to a stop. I've tried to keep the X at steady constant speed as much as possible, and avoided going over 65. In other words, I've learnt to drive like an old lady! :eek:

My wife once got 27 mpg driving from Sacramento to Palo Alto, a record I've yet to match.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have to laugh! I too spend my time watching the MPG arc and averages. I find my self resisting quick acceleration, especially if I've recently reset it (it drops like a rock!)

Heres something else amusing, I get better mileage driving East than West (wind, generally downhill) by about 2 mpg. I never thought much about it until I had the guage.

:p

·
Registered
715 Posts
LOL as well, yes, I too have suddenly started driving like a little ol' lady trying to milk every last drop of gas to see how high I can go, mpg-wise!:D

And just like MrPrescott, sir, I occasionally turn the thing off, and go like a bat out of hell for one tank just to get it out of my system!:D

Well, maybe 2 tanks.

Or 3.

·
Registered
595 Posts
HI..

YES.. WE ALL HAVE THAT PROBLEM I THINK. (UNLESS YOU HAVE NAVI..WHICH I REALLY WANT NOW..)

LAST WEEK WAS THE FIRST TIME OF MY LIFE THAT MY MOM

TOLD ME TO DRIVE FASTER.. CAUSE I WAS TRYING TO GET 20MPG
IN A CITY TRAFFIC CONDITION..

GUESS I AM CRAZY..

BUT I'VE PUT 45000 ON MY MDX IN JUST 2 MONTHS..

JUST HOPE THE GASS PRICE CAN DROP BACK TO 1.07 FOR THE 91 AGAIN..

SIGH..

:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I only look at the MPG on the trip computer when I'm using my cell-phone, it helps me concentrate better and talk more coherently; otherwise I'm just too distracted by the road.

Just kidding of course...

TYP,
You do mean 4,500? and not 45,000 in two months, right? Otherwise, that would mean you drive 750 miles a day. (Are you involved in a wacky long distance relationship?) Even if you got 20 mpg, gas alone would have costed you about $3000 to go 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want a greener earth, try biking. I ride my MDX half way and bike half way to work. Keeps you fit, and biking is as fun as MDXing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
MPG -- Computer Lies!!

When we got the X, most initial driving was stop n go. MPG was not good in this situation no matter what one does [4,000 lbs does take some energy to get moving] and the computer told us this. Wellllll, discovered that the computer tends to have a "little error" [based on acutal miles driven and gallons used calculations]. Subsequently verified that the computer on our X ALWAYS registers higher than actual [amount varies, but always higher].

Where am I going:

(1) Since the computer lies, I now ignore it when I drive.

(2) I don't have enough time in my life to do calcuations that a computer should be doing [I'd rather be driving or spending time here].

(3) So now I don't know what kind of milage I am getting.

(4) While I may be less informed, I am having a hell of alot more fun driving the X 'cause I just press that pedal on the right down and it GOES.

·
Registered
595 Posts
!!

I WAS TOO HYPER WHEN I TYPE THAT ONE..

YES IT WAS 4500.. NOT 45000.. AND NOW IT'S 4750.. HEH

BTW THIS IS THE 2ND TIME I TRY TO POST THIS MESSAGE..

THE FIRST ONE .. JUST DISPAERED?!?!

HUM..

:confused:

·
Registered
619 Posts
proskunetes said:
TYP,
You do mean 4,500? and not 45,000 in two months, right? Otherwise, that would mean you drive 750 miles a day. (Are you involved in a wacky long distance relationship)?
LOL, I was going to say that TYP is the good looking guy in the Acura TL commericial(driving from L.A to SF for a blind date).:D

I too am a member of Slow Pokes Anonymous(SPA), ohhh, btw, "My name is MDXLuvr and this is my first meeting". The other day, my wife had to yell at me to go faster b/c i was trying to avoid getting the MPG dial(guage?) below 10.

LOL.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am just wondering if people are willing to experiment and post your findings. If you would get better gas mileage by turning off the auto temperature regulation, since this cycles the compressor it could cause a hit on you mpg performance.

I would try it, but I am still waiting...:(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive noticed that with the automatic temperature control OFF, that my average mpg in stop and go traffic is about 16.3 ; and with it ON it is about 13.5 mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
15 Participants
IRONED
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing