Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying an '05 X. I see a lot of negative posts everywhere on Acura/Honda TC/tranny problems. But have not seen anything of how they fixed these problems or if they even did do anything about it. I LOVE THE MDX, EVEN AT 10 YRS OLD!!! Can someone help clear up , for me, the issues and fixes for the 05 X? Its actually 05 MDX navi, touring, no DVD.it currently has 153,000 miles. I have inspected it, and have been told. I can't see that the tranny has ever been removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car drives and rides great, and the tranny shifts excellent. Good shift points up/down, no shudder/noise, no flare ups.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Of the 1st gens, the '05-'06 tranny was the least problematic; most of the problems seem to have been with the earlier models, especially the '01-'02. At least, that's what it seems like based on chatter around here.

FWIW, I have an '06 with just shy of 160k on it, original transmission and it's still just fine. At that age and that many miles, of course, you're taking your chances (all transmissions--and, indeed, anything with moving parts--will eventually fail, it's just that some of them outlast our ownership), but I still like my X tons and don't regret picking it up, even if when I did it was 8+ years old and had 140k+ miles on the clock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an '06 MDX, 120k on it now. I have done all my own maintenance (with a lot of help from this great board) on it since we bought it in 2012 with 75k on it, with the exception of the timing belt/water pump and a couple recalls. I need to take it in for the air bag recall now.

I do the standard oil changes/tranny drain fill 3x's and brake jobs (brakes are easy DIY). I am past due for the rear diff. oil change.

Here are the non-standard items I have had to do:
I have replaced the starter and the alternator
the heat shield and braided heat wrap on the flex fitting before the cat converter fell off (just ripped them off and never replaced).
I replaced the drivers side sway bar link (it broke) but still need to do passenger side
Several of my vent tabs are broke/missing and I haven't repaired them. known issue for these vehicles

If we keep the X longer, I'll probably have to start replacing more suspension components. Have a clunk over some uneven roads on the front passenger side right now.

All in all, it drives nice and provides plenty of room for our family of 4. Make sure you get the pass code for the hands free link, if you want to use it. We never got the code from the dealer and the only way to reset it (from what our dealer told us), was to swap out the existing unit to a new unit that would work with their updated scanner/tool, change the code, then put back the old unit. Didn't want to pay the labor for that so we have lived without the hands free link.

With a used car with that much mileage, it may last for another 100,000 trouble free miles or, it may start to need a bunch of stuff replaced depending on how hard it was driven.

Is this a private sell or through a dealer? Try to get a warranty if through a dealer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an '04 MDX, if taken care of, it will run for a while, mine is at 90,000 miles and has had a considerable amount of work needed, vent tabs all broke the second we left the dealership, starter went, oem tires stink in anything other than dry even pavement, check to see if the car still has the oem goodyear integritys, the radiator blew and left a hose for the trannyfluid leaking all over the place. We have had a lot of brake backing plate scraping sounds but no one else seems to have that problem. Sway bar bushings needed to be replaced, battery and battery negative cable just replaced. But the car is very safe and reliable! Premium fuel required is my only gripe about the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I'm now the proud new owner of the '05 X. First order of business aftermarket tranny cooler and filter. And disconnect cooler from radiator. And yes, 2 broke tabs:)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
PS73, congratulations! And you found one with ONLY two broken vent tabs, too! ;-) The aftermarket push-on tabs work great (good thing since all four of the tabs were broken on mine - the previous owner did the "air freshener tab" thing, so the cockpit smelled like the inside of a Tic Tac box). ;-)

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's a lot of cool aftermarket MDX parts that are oem, I found a great simple website for Acura accessories, its Acura.bernardiparts.com its so much more simple than other more involved websites, it has every dealer installed option on the mdx!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy your purchase. I owned an 05 for several years and the only issue I had was a couple of broken vent tabs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats PS73 :29:

2006 with 148K miles here. I echo much of what has been said. Bottom line, take care of the car with proper fluids and maintenance and it'll take care of you.

One note is that I recommend checking the maintenance log if the previous owner(s) used synthetic oil. Obviously you'll want to continue usage if that's the case (I recommend using it anyway, but especially if it's already been used).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so is there a way to turn off the WELCOME WARNING every time the navigation is turned on with the vehicle. And not have to press 'OK'.

And also researched the VIN I have 3 open recalls. The airbags, the stability control system wiring harness so the brakes don't lockup unintentional, and shift to park lever. Are the latter 2 issues familiar to anyone?

Also received new tranny cooler(plate and fin type) and external spin on filter. Plan on installing both, and continue running current trans fluid to filter as much contaminates as possible before changing fluid AND spin on filter for good maintenance. Fluid now is brownish and a little burnt smelling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would recommend changing out the tranny fluid asap if it is brown and burnt smelling. You'll probably see metal sludge on the drain plug when you do the 3x drain/fill procedure (the first drain).

I still need to take my '06 in for the airbag recall. I did not get recalls for the others. I did get one for reflashing software for the transmission and had that done last year.

I just deal with the "OK" button every time we get in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hope mine has more than just the airbag recall, I never really checked, thinking that my dealer would notify me, but according to my (somewhat crazy) mother the brakes would lock up so maybe thats a recall for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, never rely on the dealer for recall notices. Lookup your vin. Those breaks ARE locking up AND WITHOUT BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATION. REAREND COLLISION!!!!!! And this issue is on recall. Get it fixed immediately. Please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts