Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, long time Honda guy here. I am also a collision repair technician.
I am looking at a 2016 MDX ( 61k miles ) this weekend. What things should I pay close attention to when inspecting or test driving?
Are there any significant problems that should deter me from purchasing this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello, long time Honda guy here. I am also a collision repair technician.
I am looking at a 2016 MDX ( 61k miles ) this weekend. What things should I pay close attention to when inspecting or test driving?
Are there any significant problems that should deter me from purchasing this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
Its the 1st MY for the ZF-9spd AT. Make sure to check that out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
+1 for ZF9 trans. Personally I would skip the 9 speed and look for a 2015 with the 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The 16 MDX was the year Acurawatch was available on all trim level as an option (standard on the adv model). I would double-check to see if you have adaptive cruise control (ACC), collision mitigation braking system (CMBS) , and lane keeping assist (LKAS) with the MDX you are checking out.

The 16 MDX was the first year Acura used the 9AT for the MDX. A lot of folks had issues with the 9AT shifting with the 16 MDX that was fixed to almost a non-issue by the +18 MDXs (some 9AT issues with the updated 17 MDX; but, less than the 16 MDXs had). I don't know if it was a just a software fix and/or hardware upgrades that smoothed out the 9AT in later years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the budget will allow, a 2017 model will have an electronic parking brake with automatic brake hold, walk away auto locking for the doors, automatic high beams, and all of the AcuraWatch+ safety features standard regardless of trim.
Depending on trim you can get foglights, heated steering wheel, power-folding mirrors, real wood trim, captains chairs, and a 360 parking camera. A lot of that is just "stuff" and may not be important to you but if you were interested in any of those features they became available for 2017.
Assuming it shifts smoothly and behaves as you'd expect a car to, the 2016 should be just as reliable as the rest of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife's 19 CRV has brake hold and walk away locks.
Two VERY spoiling features.

Reactions: jefferson88

·
Registered
2016 MDX Elite SH-AWD (White Diamond Pearl)
8 Posts
Reliability prominently depends how you treat your vehicle, thus almost nothing will be of significant problem if you take care of it, including the 9-speed automatic, which I love and would not swap it for anything else, as it gives beautiful accelerations and amazing fuel economy. We had zero issue since the beginning with our 2016 MDX.

What you must be careful of when buying a used one, is to find out what type of person had it before, as you will inevitably pay for the previous owner usage or misusage. If you can find a well taken care MDX, and continue to take care of it, there is no significant problem that can arise from it.
Do you oil changes, avoid regular violent kick downs and everything should be fine with your 2016 and its 9 speed trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, 62k on the clock sounds good.
It was a fleet vehicle prior which can mean a number of different things.

My days of being a street terror are long gone. I will treat this thing well.
Assuming I get it of course.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would also throw out the idea of a 2017 if aesthetics are important. 2017 is the first year without the beak, and with a front similar to the prototype just released.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah, 62k on the clock sounds good.
It was a fleet vehicle prior which can mean a number of different things.

My days of being a street terror are long gone. I will treat this thing well.
Assuming I get it of course.
At the very least get a dealer to print the warranty repair history for you. There's nothing worse than buying a later model/lower mileage car and then finding out the seller dumped it because something couldn't be fixed. Having had numerous company cars I can tell you that sometimes minor issues just get ignored if they aren't too aggravating. It's not like it was my money that was spent, I knew I would be out of it in 18 months, and I didn't really have the time to jack with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, you talked me into it. Well sorta'

I ended up getting a 17.
We had a 16 on reserve. The 16 had 62k miles and was going for $25,000. As we were wandering the lot we saw a 17 for $30,000. but it had only 15k on the clock with six months remaining on the factory warranty. So for an extra five grand, I get one year newer, some warranty, and WAY fewer miles.

I am pretty pleased.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Well, you talked me into it. Well sorta'

I ended up getting a 17.
We had a 16 on reserve. The 16 had 62k miles and was going for $25,000. As we were wandering the lot we saw a 17 for $30,000. but it had only 15k on the clock with six months remaining on the factory warranty. So for an extra five grand, I get one year newer, some warranty, and WAY fewer miles.

I am pretty pleased.

View attachment 115607
Good deal. Congratulations.

Reactions: K657

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good choice. Congrats.

Reactions: K657

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
NICE PICK UP!

I really like the styling of +17 MDXs. The added plus is the 2022 4th Gen MDXs doesn't look all that different and our 17-20 MDXs will still look current for another +7 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts