Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new to this forum and looking for some advice!

My wife and I are looking to buy a used MDX as our 2nd car. Looking @ the MDX given the 3rd row and my assumption that the reliability/maintenance costs will be a bit lower than other premium brands. Linked here is the vehicle we are looking at; $6K (can negotiate him down to that number), 165K miles, and a lot of recent service completed. the person selling is a mechanic and has owned this car for 3 years, he is selling given he bought a 3rd car and needs to get rid of 1 of his vehicles.

Appreciate any thoughts from ppl here regarding:
1) The price/value
2) What we might be able to expect in terms of remaining life on this car
3) What people with similar cars are seeing in terms of average maintenance costs
4) Anything we should be looking out for

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/sterling-2007-acura-mdx-sport-tech-new/6898941987.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
thats a well maintained vehicle in good shape, id have no problem buying it you can easily get another 100k miles or more out of it, id still try and get him down a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Go drive it. I’m on my phone so I can’t go to that link but ask him if the transmission pressure sensors have been replaced. I bought my 08 with 130k on it and it liked to hang out in 5th gear and lag the engine/trans. Those sensors needed to be replaced (I believe there are 3 or 4 of them). I had mine replaced when the radiator took a dump all over my driveway (trans fluid). They did the radiator, trans flush and pressure sensors. Car felt brand new after that. Which reminds me, check for corrosion on the bottom of the radiator. Mine had it but the (small town) dealer failed to mention/check and ended up costing $1300 to have all that mentioned above done.

Also, check the area under the rear hatch on both sides. Those two channels where a roof rack could go have been know to have the seam glue crack and let water in.

Looks similar to this:

Most importantly, take it for a drive. Listen for clicks, clacks, clunks. Make turns, sharp turns, accelerate through turns. Brake, brake more, etc. listen for vtec around 4700, the secondaries open up around 6700 or so.

Just make sure you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
From the pics, it appears to be a well taken care of car. It's too bad there aren't any of the interior of the car. Good advice from Techmechanic above. Also, since it has the Tech pkg, you may want to be sure to check all of those components when you look at it.
Be sure to report back on what you find.
As an aside, used to live in that neck of the woods. Parents moved to Leesburg, VA in 1974, back when there were 3 traffic lights in the whole town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! All comments are appreciated along with the pictures. Based on the craigslist post and talking with the owner, it certainly seems it has been well maintained and taken care of. Agreed that it will be good to see the interior as everyone has their own definition of "normal wear and tear."

Great tips regarding the transmission and potential for leaks. I'll report back what I see... keep any tips and comments coming, we are going to see the vehicle at 6:30 today.
@Marine One, too funny. We have lived in the area for almost 30 years and I remember cutting down a Christmas tree in what is now Ashburn (100K + people and crazy big houses)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Any proof of the timing belt being addressed? They are good for 7 years or 105K miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That is a Sport version, not a Tech. Replacing the shocks on sports are VERY expensive. To be honest, I think the price is too low to be normal if everything works fine.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well, my reference point is Bay Area, aka car paradise. Maybe the price is normal elsewhere.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes as marine one mentioned, make sure all the components work. I bought mine in the dead of summer so I didn’t realize until winter that the driver seat heater only worked on the back, the passenger reversed - it only worked on the bottom.

Also make sure the side view mirror switch is clicked on the driver side so when you shift in reverse the mirrors point down and when back in park or drive they go back to where they were. My switch was in the center which disables that feature and didn’t know that the mirror motor went down fine but would get caught on something and click repeatedly, ultimately not going back to where it was supposed to.

Bring a headphone cable for your phone and make sure the aux jack in the center console works. Mine was super busted and had to replace it. Pro-tip: it can be replaced without taking out the center console if it is bad. It even shows in the repair manual that you just pull on it until it comes out, swap the part and push it back in.

That’s about it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Marine One, too funny. We have lived in the area for almost 30 years and I remember cutting down a Christmas tree in what is now Ashburn (100K + people and crazy big houses)
Parents moved there in 1974, and bought a brand new 4 br 3 ba house in the Leesburg Country Club development for $65,000. Back then Leesburg was so far out of DC that nobody wanted to live there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2007 tech package at 188k miles. I had similar work done (timing belt, alternator, water pump, etc) on it right around 170k and it's been running great for 18K miles plus. Looking to get at least another 75k-100k out of it. Seems like a good price if you can validate the work and the interior looks decent. I paid around the same.

Other issues I'd be aware of in this model is the Bluetooth receiver sometimes drains the battery. I've had mine taken out and since then I've never had a battery drain issue. Additionally, the air-mix motors (controls the air flow to the backseats) tends to wear and get dirty on these and can sometimes lead to a weird noise in the center console. Lastly, I've had some issues with radio connection when it's cold out here in Colorado. Other than that it's been a great car! Goodluck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the advice. We saw the car last night, pros and cons below.

Pros:
- Price
- Mechanically, it has had a ton done and is in perfect shape

Cons
- Leather is seriously showing its age
- Grill is bubbling (the metallic stuff)
- Bluetooth is disconnected due to battery drain
- Steering wheel shows its age and has a cover on it right now

Based on some searches around this site, it seems this is all standard stuff for the 07 MDX. The seller is willing to have his friend at an Acura dealer replace the bluetooth for us at no cost and he is going to take the car to an auto upholstery place tomorrow for a quote to repair/clean the seats. Obviously, we are buying a heavily used car but my thought is dumping $6K into the purchase, $1K to make it look nice cosmetically, then assuming $2K in repair costs over 3 years of light driving would still be a significant net savings over a 3 year lease at $300-350.

Questions:
- Thoughts on the grill? Easy and cheap DIY for somebody who has zero mechanical skills?
- Does a new BT receiver fix the battery drain issue? If it does, how is the overall BT quality?
- Has anyone had the leather repaired? This seems to be an Acura/Japanese car issue. I owned an 05 Audi i sold last year which was kept outside and it never showed serious wear on the leather.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't care how well the car has been treated, 160,000 miles plus is a lot of miles no matter how you slice it up to make it look pretty. All sorts of things besides the engine and transmission can go bad that will cost you a lot of money. I'm sorry but I would not buy any car over 100,000 miles, and 160,000 is forbidden territory. Sure you can get lucky and the car last you another 100,000 miles without trouble, but do you want to gamble $6,000 on luck? Only you can answer that, but I know I wouldn't.

You would be better off finding a Toyota Avalon (or a Lexus ES) that is about 10 year old or so with low mileage because some old person owned it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cons
- Leather is seriously showing its age
- Grill is bubbling (the metallic stuff)
- Bluetooth is disconnected due to battery drain
- Steering wheel shows its age and has a cover on it right now

Based on some searches around this site, it seems this is all standard stuff for the 07 MDX.
My 2007 MDX has all of the above. The grill isn't bubbling too bad but I notice it when I wash it. Only my driver's seat leather is in need of repair. The front passenger is OK, and my back seats look great. The third row looks and feels new. My Bluetooth has never worked since I bought it used 3 years ago and my steering wheel is pretty ugly. I put a cover on the steering wheel. When I finish paying for my MDX next year, I will have paid $14,000 total. The car currently has 222678 miles on it. Hope that puts things into perspective for what you are looking at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It boils down to what you want and are willing to spend. I'm 63 years old and have been driving since 1970. I've owned a ton of cars that were purchased both new and used. Although I am a "car guy," I love owning and driving a bargain. I've lived on a barrier island one block off the Atlantic Ocean for the past 17 years, which has caused my automotive perfectionist mentality to slowly change. No matter how much washing and waxing is done, a car out here on Topsail island has a limited life span, and it is the price one pays to live in a special place. As a result we are very tuned into buying and driving clean low mileage used cars that we can find a good deal on. We're always looking and sometimes they find us. Such was the case with the MDX. It is a 2008, and was found a year ago with 56,000 miles. It was in like new condition save for a few parking lot door dings that were easily taken care of by a paintless dent repair guy for a hundred bucks. In the year and 20,000 miles of ownership I've replaced a power steering pump (should've been taken care of under the recall but wasn't), an alternator (original rebuilt by a local electric shop), battery and a serpentine belt. I have $14,500 in the vehicle including the above mentioned repairs that I took care of myself. It is a clean, smooth and quiet ride that I plan to keep indefinitely, or until something else cool finds us. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I don't care how well the car has been treated, 160,000 miles plus is a lot of miles no matter how you slice it up to make it look pretty. All sorts of things besides the engine and transmission can go bad that will cost you a lot of money. I'm sorry but I would not buy any car over 100,000 miles, and 160,000 is forbidden territory. Sure you can get lucky and the car last you another 100,000 miles without trouble, but do you want to gamble $6,000 on luck? Only you can answer that, but I know I wouldn't.

You would be better off finding a Toyota Avalon (or a Lexus ES) that is about 10 year old or so with low mileage because some old person owned it.
some valid points, at the same time there seem to be quite a few members on this particular message board who have significant mechanical aptitude/background (along with an adequate set of tools) who would look at this car (or any like it, specifically the 2007-2013 year Acura MDX's) and it's 'high' mileage and easily see the potential of getting another 100-200K miles out of it as very do-able/affordable! :29:

·
Registered
144 Posts
some valid points, at the same time there seem to be quite a few members on this particular message board who have significant mechanical aptitude/background (along with an adequate set of tools) who would look at this car (or any like it, specifically the 2007-2013 year Acura MDX's) and it's 'high' mileage and easily see the potential of getting another 100-200K miles out of it as very do-able/affordable! :29:
In the end, the MDX is still a Honda, a brand with a solid reputation for longevity. Some of us here have been driving long enough to remember when having a car last long enough to travel 100,000 miles was a huge accomplishment. Not the case anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: We ended up buying the MDX! Overall, it seems solid. No issues thus far

Total price: $6200, included the previous owner buying and installing a new Bluetooth receiver
- We put in $550 to have the car completely detailed and the seats refreshed. The interior of the car now looks like new
- There are a few areas of chipping paint on the bumper, might spend $300 to have it refinished
- I'm on a waiting list for Echo Auto (me and a few million others...). Once that comes out, I'm planning to use a Bluetooth adapter for the aux input to enable full Bluetooth music/navigation/calling in the car.

All in, our total cost will be $7050. Assuming we were going to spend $300-350/month on a lease, the car will pay off in 20-23.5 months. Witha 36 month lease, we would have spent $10,800-12,600 over 3 years. So... as long as we spend <$3750 on repairs over 3 years, we saved money. If we have the car longer than 3 years then we are doing even better.

Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
144 Posts

Total price: $6200, included the previous owner buying and installing a new Bluetooth receiver
  • We put in $550 to have the car completely detailed and the seats refreshed. The interior of the car now looks like new
  • There are a few areas of chipping paint on the bumper, might spend $300 to have it refinished
  • I'm on a waiting list for Echo Auto (me and a few million others...). Once that comes out, I'm planning to use a Bluetooth adapter for the aux input to enable full Bluetooth music/navigation/calling in the car.
All in, our total cost will be $7050. Assuming we were going to spend $300-350/month on a lease, the car will pay off in 20-23.5 months. Witha 36 month lease, we would have spent $10,800-12,600 over 3 years. So... as long as we spend <$3750 on repairs over 3 years, we saved money. If we have the car longer than 3 years then we are doing even better.

Congrats! Hope it treats you well.

·
Registered
352 Posts

• We put in $550 to have the car completely detailed and the seats refreshed. The interior of the car now looks like new
  • There are a few areas of chipping paint on the bumper, might spend $300 to have it refinished
  • I'm on a waiting list for Echo Auto (me and a few million others...). Once that comes out, I'm planning to use a Bluetooth adapter for the aux input to enable full Bluetooth music/navigation/calling in the car.

Good luck. I would recommend this bluetooth adapter. It easily plugs in to your satellite module. The music quality is crystal clear as are phone calls. Takes a little work to run the Mic wire to the front but nothing too difficult.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts