Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Factory Racks

Norcal States

"I have not yet mounted my factory base rack. How much wind-noise is generated by the factory racks themselves? Perhaps I should leave it off until I need them?"

The base factory rack is not noticeable at all when it comes to wind noise. You may want to position the base racks at a optimum position for least of amount of wind noise ,if any.

The problem with the wind noise is when mounting the factory ski racks on to the base racks which is quite horrible. :3: They whistle and are extremely annoying. The after market pull out Thules are nice and are not as noisy. Remarkable improvement. :29:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Factory Racks

ggalvan said:
Norcal States

"I have not yet mounted my factory base rack. How much wind-noise is generated by the factory racks themselves? Perhaps I should leave it off until I need them?"

The base factory rack is not noticeable at all when it comes to wind noise. You may want to position the base racks at a optimum position for least of amount of wind noise ,if any.

The problem with the wind noise is when mounting the factory ski racks on to the base racks which is quite horrible. :3: They whistle and are extremely annoying. The after market pull out Thules are nice and are not as noisy. Remarkable improvement. :29:
I think I will give a try with the Yakima Mighty Mount clamps, to mound my Yakima ski rack attachment to the factory cross bars. The think I liked about using Yakima towers on a Mercedes I had was that the entire set-up locks to the roof. Someone could unbolt the factory rack and make off with skis, cargo carrier, etc, if they were determined. However, I suppose locks just keep honest people honest and a determined thief will succeed. Wonder if anyone ever heard of someone simply unbolting the factory rack assembly while the vehicle was, for instance, parked overnight while on a road trip.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Re: Re: Factory Racks

norcalchuck said:

However, I suppose locks just keep honest people honest and a determined thief will succeed. Wonder if anyone ever heard of someone simply unbolting the factory rack assembly while the vehicle was, for instance, parked overnight while on a road trip.
If I recall, the factory rack mounts with either hex driver or Torx heads... not quite standard fare-

Of course, a battery powered Sawzall would take ANY rack off!

Or better still, a crowbar on those silling gutter/door sill mounted towers will pry them off.

(Kind of like worring about picking the door lock on a house when a simple whap with a brick will open the pane above!)

Ard

PS I'd never leave valuables out on the roof overnigh, unless it was my driveway!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Factory Racks

ardvarkus said:

If I recall, the factory rack mounts with either hex driver or Torx heads... not quite standard fare-

Of course, a battery powered Sawzall would take ANY rack off!

Or better still, a crowbar on those silling gutter/door sill mounted towers will pry them off.

(Kind of like worring about picking the door lock on a house when a simple whap with a brick will open the pane above!)

Ard

PS I'd never leave valuables out on the roof overnigh, unless it was my driveway!
Good points. It is a #30 torx bolt. What does one do on a road trip? Can't take all the stuff into a motel room. Guess there are risks in everything. One of my gripes with the SUV is that you don't have a secure (relatively) trunk. My Mercedes trunk had a deadbolt that was part of the lock. One thing I use to stop the quick thief is bicycle cable locks through luggage handles and through the tie downs. That would stop a quick grab.

Saw a very clever security device at the outdoors store today, by a company called PacSafe. They are these metal web/mesh devices (of different sizes) that you wrap luggage in and lock. They roll up and pack in their own little compact case when not in use. Would require a thief to have a wire cutter and not just a knife. Great for single travelers at the airport or elsewhere--I've traveled all over the world by myself---logistically it was always a hassle worrying about luggage or duffel when making a quick trip to the can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ski Lock Cable

"Saw a very clever security device at the outdoors store today, by a company called PacSafe."

This is another retractable cable ski lock that is similar to mine. It has a combo lock with tools and is small and handy. Always take it with me out in the slopes. Do not want to leave skis unlocked espeacially the new pocket rockets at the slopes.

With this cable you'll a three level protection.

1. Standard Ski lock on the ski racks.
2. With cable lock it secures between the base rack and ski rack.
3. With the cable lock combo inside the window of the car and cable into the racks thats a 3 level security.

:behead: Thieves watch out.

Here's the link http://store.yahoo.com/snowshack/kryptonite-retractor-lock.html

:6: Retractable cable locks for skis and racks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ardvarkus said:
You push in with the screwdriver and pust the cap up vertically. This uncovers the slot that runs in the cross member. There is a rubber strip in the slot that gets removed
I just installed the factory racks and did not seet a rubber strip protecting the slot for the cover release, that you refer to. Makes sense--should keep gunk out from under the cover. I wonder if they were omitted from my hardware? Maybe others could look at their rack and see if there is a little rubber plug over that slot on each mount. If so, will get some from the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The rubber strip is pictured in the photo immediately following the one you quoted.

There is no strip or cover for the 'screwdriver hole'...just a long strip across the top of the rack (ie the width of the roof)

A

·
Registered
476 Posts
OK. Thanks. I misread it as indicating the access slot for the clip in the mount was covered (which would make sense to keep it dry(er).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Since we're fast approaching ski season, I thought it might be good to hit this forum again.

In reply to several of the earlier posts, I have to note the following. Although I'm not fond of the look of the Acura factory ski rack, I certainly like the low cost. Several folks noted that the Yakima whistles and that the factory rack makes lots of noise. I have to disagree with that statement regarding the factory rack. I've used it several times on trips and didn't note a great deal of noise. It may be that the extra sound-proofing in the '03 fixed the problem others are seeing. Either way, even with 4 sets of skis in the rack, I didn't notice much extra noise with the Acura rack.

I had been thinking of getting a Thule fat mouth because of the easier loading and unloading with the sliding bar, but after the earlier posts on extra noise, I might skip that option altogether. Anyone else have an '03 with a Thule fat mouth installed? I'd like to know if it really is that noisy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a set of Yakima 6 ski Powder Hounds that couldn't be mounted on the MDX factory racks because of the rack's width. I've dreamt up some pretty wacky solutions with custom made interfaces including the use of Thule fat Mouth Clamps so that I wouldnt' have to spend more money.

I finally decided to just buy a new set of Thule flat 6 ski attachments with Fat Mouth clamps just because of time contraints.

It is frustrating for me that Yakima doesn't make a factory attachment for the MDX factory roof rack and that Acura made the MDX roof rack completely different from all other factory roof racks on other cars/suvs, etc.

Just to note though... the only way I could have used Yakima equipment to attach the Yakima Power Hounds was to buy a Yakima Road Warrior basket, which has wide mouth clamps, and attach the Powder Hounds to the basket bars.

I haven't installed the Thule Fat Mouth Clamps and would be interested in knowing if they are loud or not.

Also, if anyone out there knows a method of attaching the Yakima Powder Hounds to the MDX factory racks... I'd be most interested.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thule Pull Out Ski racks With Fatmouth Clamps.

This is my second season with these ski racks and there fine. Lot more quieter than the stock ski racks from Acura. 75+ MPH then you'll may start to hear the windnoise and maybe some cop sirens. 75 and below its not really noticeable.

I guess the further back you set the crossbars on the rack the less wind noise you will hear when you attach the Thule ski racks.

The pull out functionality of the Thule ski rack is worth it. Skis are a breeze to attach and to take off. I wouldn't advise any other setup but this one. Good Luck.

:29:

·
Registered
165 Posts
i also have the yakima powderhound rack. it took me a while to figure out a low cost solution to mounting it on my factory rack but i finally got it.

instead of the t-bolts from the thule rack used in the beginning of this thread, you can use carriage bolts (5/16"). and since the bolts stick up vertically and the yakima bolt attachment is horizontal, i found a "U" shaped bracket that will mount to the factory rack and to the yakima rack. the only mod i had to do was to drill a hole in the bracket.

not sure if i'm explaining this well, but if anybody is interested in pictures, just let me know and i can post them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
bob_weather said:
I had a set of Yakima 6 ski Powder Hounds that couldn't be mounted on the MDX factory racks because of the rack's width. I've dreamt up some pretty wacky solutions with custom made interfaces including the use of Thule fat Mouth Clamps so that I wouldnt' have to spend more money.

I finally decided to just buy a new set of Thule flat 6 ski attachments with Fat Mouth clamps just because of time contraints.

It is frustrating for me that Yakima doesn't make a factory attachment for the MDX factory roof rack and that Acura made the MDX roof rack completely different from all other factory roof racks on other cars/suvs, etc.

Just to note though... the only way I could have used Yakima equipment to attach the Yakima Power Hounds was to buy a Yakima Road Warrior basket, which has wide mouth clamps, and attach the Powder Hounds to the basket bars.

I haven't installed the Thule Fat Mouth Clamps and would be interested in knowing if they are loud or not.

Also, if anyone out there knows a method of attaching the Yakima Powder Hounds to the MDX factory racks... I'd be most interested.

Bob
For the benefit of people still needing to convert Powder Hounds to MDX OEM racks, it is also possible to order just the universal clamps from Yakima from their friendly and helpful spart parts department (see their website for ph#). You will still have to modify the clamps to fit the ski attachments, but its not necessary to buy a whole accessory just to obtain the clamps. As it is, I still prefer my full length rails because I can use the full line up of both Yakima equipment and accessory attachments designed for the universal Ford aero crossbars. Came in handy when moving 4x8 boards when I needed both the yakima & the Ford crossbars to provide a complete flat and level 4-bar support, preventing any sagging effects. (got a pic of this in one of the other threads, search 4x8)

·
Registered
330 Posts
gordonweb said:
I just ordered some Yakima Mighty Mount 29V from Sports Rack (free shipping and AAA discount) to attach my Yakima ski racks. Can't wait to get them. But got a call from them warning me that they don't officially fit so it may void my warranty. That's quite alright. I don't think skis will void my warranty.
I am interested in using the 29V if they fit. I checked with Yakima and they still don't list any Mighty Mounts for the MDX. Does anyone know if the 29V will fit on the '03 Rack?

·
Registered
330 Posts
gordonweb said:
Maybe some thick black rubber washers from Home Depot would do the trick. They may look better than the cork board.
I just ordered some Yakima Mighty Mount 29V from Sports Rack (free shipping and AAA discount) to attach my Yakima ski racks. Can't wait to get them. But got a call from them warning me that they don't officially fit so it may void my warranty. That's quite alright. I don't think skis will void my warranty.
I am very interested to find out if the "Mighty Mount 29V" will work on the MDX. I have the Yakima Ski Rack and this would simplify the installation a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried the 29V mighty mounts on my 2003 MDX and I was never happy with the fit. I purchased some pipe foam to take up the extra space, but the mighty mount just wouldn't fit very well. It was too much of a pain to get the mighty mount mounted every time I wanted to go skiing.

·
3,109 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whistle noise from ski rack!!!

I found that after I put on the ski rack WITHOUT the weather stripping I had a loud wind noise/whistle sound. Very irritating!!! I tried using tape (blue tape-painters tape) and covered the open ridges. The noise disappeared!!! So I guess I'm heading to the Acura dealer to purchase extra weather stripping and cut it to the exact spacing of the groove w/ the ski rack on.

I thought that some of the members will find this tip helpful.

·
3,109 Posts
Well if we can’t go skiing, might as well haul some lumber, and finally replace some deck panels 🤪.

1006983E-E0F3-4C81-A435-C5C54B42DB94.jpeg

41 - 59 of 59 Posts