Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just joined this forum, after lurking a few times before. The MDX has been our family (aka wife's car) and I'm generally more interested in my own car's forum community.

We currently are in our 6th year with our 2011 MDX. We had a Gen 1 before that for 7 years (115k miles) and where obviously satisfied with it enough to replace it with another MDX.
I was actually ready to get my wife a replacement car soon, but because the kids are entering driving age, we decided it would be better to keep an "older" car.

The current car is at 91k miles and so far we have not had any major problems. Transmission software needed updating at one point, but that was it. I do all the scheduled maintenance and oil changes, engine, tranny, transfer case, diff myself. However, I am staring to enter the time now were bigger things will need to be addressed, like timing chain, plugs and so forth.
Also, we have a slight whining/groaning noise that just developed recently. It increases with RPM. Sounds like it comes from the alternator area. Do these typically go out at this mileage?

So since I am in for the long haul with this one. I might be posting more often here and hope to contribute where I can and get help when needed. Thanks.

Our MDX (rare color)

The day we traded in Gen 1 for Gen2

·
Registered
286 Posts
I absolutely love, love, love that colour.

Oh man...I would love to have the problem where a 2011 is considered an older car. I was looking for an older beater car just for laughs and was looking at a 94 Grand Marquis. That is old... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutely love, love, love that colour.

Oh man...I would love to have the problem where a 2011 is considered an older car. I was looking for an older beater car just for laughs and was looking at a 94 Grand Marquis. That is old... :)
Thanks I do love the color as well. I think in the 6 years we owned it I've seen maybe 3 others with the same color.

I know first world problems, but I did say "older", as in older than a new car.:smile2:
In the context of letting our teenager drive it, it sure is A LOT older than a new car would be.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The "whining/groaning noise" could be an idler pulley bearing in the serpentine belt tensioner. That's one of the things that gets replaced in the big timing belt/ water pump/ serpentine belt service at 100k miles or so. Most likely, it will just make noise. Of course, it "could" be any of a number of more dire issues, which is what makes operation and maintenance of aging vehicles "entertaining". Just wait until your precious progeny start commuting around the country in all kinds of weather and you'll learn why anxiolytic drugs were invented. :scream:

·
Registered
80 Posts
norMcal1,

For reference, I had the timing chain done at the same time I developed an alternator issue right around that 90k-100k time frame on my 2011 MDX. So it could have been both or neither.

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an 07 at 137K bought it at 99k. I replaced timing belt etc. When they pulled it off, they measured it. It was longer than the new one. I would say that could be a noise source as well as a power robbing source. Throttle body seemed more reactive with the newer belt. I have since, replaced the struts and shocks as one was leaking. I disabled the HFL and and upgraded the speakers in the doors to a higher wattage as the low volume sucked on that vehicle. I replaced the pcv valve as well. I runs pretty damn good I think. Things I have not replaced and knocking on wood that routinely relate to high mileage are, Alternator, Radiator,.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts