Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Lojack etc....

6K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  whitebro 
#1 ·
Has anyone used Lojack or other vehicle recovery system?
What are the merits? Advantages/disadvantages?
I decided to go with the Forcetracker system which I learned
is better than Lojack since it covers the entire US.

#3 ·
I got a LoJack.
1. I think 50% cheaper for virtually the same thing.
2. Do more research - I believe LJ's coverage area is not much smaller (if at all) in comparison with FT.
3. LJ connects to police. FT states they have "their own" track and recovery team. Someone told me it's a bunch of local tow truck drivers.
4. Insurance-wise, both offer 20(?) % off comprehesive part of your insurance.

#4 ·
vip9 said:
I got a LoJack.
1. I think 50% cheaper for virtually the same thing.
2. Do more research - I believe LJ's coverage area is not much smaller (if at all) in comparison with FT.
3. LJ connects to police. FT states they have "their own" track and recovery team. Someone told me it's a bunch of local tow truck drivers.
4. Insurance-wise, both offer 20(?) % off comprehesive part of your insurance.

I did the research. FT was about the same price as LJ, at least on the deal that I got.
LJ covers much of the northeast but not much else. Police have been very slow to respond in the past especially in larger metropolitan areas like NY where there are more pressing problems. My brother is a cop and he admits that vehicle recovery is very low on the list of priorities.
Far from just local tow truck drivers FT employs a full time recovery staff plus local police and more sophisticated recovery tech including the ability to track in shipping containers and buildings. It also offers a larger monetary return if not recovered in 24 hours.
FT offers up to 35% insurance discount.
Talk to someone who has had to use LJ in the past. I did.

#5 ·
Well, Plaza "pushed" me on FT pretty hard. In December 2000, LJ was $599 and FT was 1K. FT just came out then.
Good luck getting 35% off insurance. When I spoke to mine (again, in December), NY State allows a maximum of 20% (I think). That may have changed.

Oh. BTW, if you are SOOOOOOOOOO certain of FT superiority why the hell did you start this thread in the first place? :)

#6 ·
At the time I started the thread I wasn't sure which to choose. I was actually leaning towards LJ at the time. I had the FT installed today.

I'm not saying FT is superior just the reasons I chose it over LJ. Afterall,FT is still in its infancy and who knows what my experience will be if, heaven forbids, my
car gets stolen. Maybe then I may wish I went LJ.

#7 ·
my 1st car was stolen and had no LJ - gone; i have 2 friends who had LJ and their cars were stolen and found 2 days later - stripped (air bags, electronics, computer). in one case it was a total loss, in another - over $10k repair, after which the car had so many problems my friend had to sell it. this part may be not valid in some cases, but hey you gotta admit - you cannot fix 100% of a factory assembled car.

so go figure, if FT is what it claims it is - may be it is better and will give you a better chance for faster recovery, only time will tell (and those unfortunate souls who GOT KNOCKED DOWN...); as far as MDX goes, it being a new model without proven records, the crooks may not go for it just yet in terms of stealing the whole car and refurnishing it and sell it; there are still too few of these - or maybe it is quite the opposite of that, but again it's my opinion; the problem areas i can think of include the touring rims, navi/trip computer, VTM4 computer, THANK GOD THERE ARE NO HIDS in lamps

#8 ·
I just got (this morning as a matter of fact) a Boomerang installed (www.boomerangtracking.com). It is a mandatory install by my insurance company. They are using cell phone technology to track stolen vehicle. They claim 95%+ recovery usually within an hour of the call placed. If your car is stolen and not found, they reimburse the device cost, the installation and all monthly costs since install. I could not enter the install area to see where the device is installed. It is supposed to be different for all cars.

I am not related to this company.

Robert

#9 ·
Drakkar said:
I just got (this morning as a matter of fact) a Boomerang installed (www.boomerangtracking.com). It is a mandatory install by my insurance company. They are using cell phone technology to track stolen vehicle. They claim 95%+ recovery usually within an hour of the call placed. If your car is stolen and not found, they reimburse the device cost, the installation and all monthly costs since install. I could not enter the install area to see where the device is installed. It is supposed to be different for all cars.

I am not related to this company.

Robert
Robert are you Canadian or Dominican? Their site states that 'The Boomerang® is currently sold and distributed in Canada, in the provinces of Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia and in the Dominican Republic.' As such I dont see how will it be supported by the local police - does it come installed with a retrieve-it-yourself device and instructions?

#10 ·
I am from Montreal. In case of theft, I call them with my device identification number and they start the search. It is supposed to be good in in-ground parking, even in a steel container... I did not chose them, it was imposed by my insurance company. I remeber having seen a story about a year ago of a stolen boat that was discovered in a barn, 60 miles from the theft location, 5 hours (approx) after the theft and 35 minutes after the call to Boomerang.

It is worth giving them a call. Maybe they will start covering the US shortly. They can not ignore this market

Robert

#11 ·
as you might've gathered i am very skeptical of ANY recovery system as it only saves you from trouble if the vehicle is reported stolen within the hour; from http://www.lowjack.com OWN commentaries - http://www.lojack.com/foryou/atrisk.htm, It takes less than 30 minutes for most skilled chop shop operators to surgically strip a car.

you know, i may not be a great detective and i'm definetelly not affiliated with any crooks in any way other than stripping THEM for spare parts, but if you think about it - once they get your car by all-their-means-possible, wouldn't they busy themselves by searching the whole vehicle for a transmitter? Hey, there comes the point, again, they dont' want your car - they need the parts!

at this, i will stop my sharade fot i feel like i might start taking the beating for my negative remarks, sorry! :)

#12 ·
Totally agree with you but, for me, the risk is minimal:
- It gives me a "sizable" insurance cost reduction
- If the system does not find my car, they repay wahtever cost I have incurred for the device, its installation and the associated yearly maintenance costs.

Seems to me like a win situation.

Robert

#13 ·
Thank God it's not a PT...

I guess the doors on PT Cruisers are a hot theft item right now, and they don't even have to steal the car. They jsut get into it and remove them. I have heard that a good team can get all four doors off one in about two minutes and be gone. I'm not sure even a pager alarm would help them!

#15 ·
Re: Lojack price and yearly maintenance?

edhryb said:
Is there any "play" in the price of Lojack or will the dealer want full price? What's everyone paying for it and what about the annual maintenance costs? I'm waiting for MDX delivery in July.
yes, send me $20 check monthly and i'll tell you all about it... :D
dealers charge msrp $599 i think, and insurance takes about $200 off yearly premiums, so go figure

#16 ·
LoJack is installed at your home or office by LoJack mobile units (outside of dealership) or dealer installed by the same mobile units and have set prices at $595 plus tax. Your dealer will probably be charged approximately $100 less for the install. I believe the fleet price is somewhere around $470? (don't quote me). Your price will likely be $595 from the dealer. A few years ago, LoJack was avail from misc. alarm places. They have returned to using their own mobile installers. As posted above, they are coming out with an add'l system in the fall. This system is designed to alert you when your car is 'on the move' and/or tampered with: http://www.lojack.com

You can be sure that people are special ordering MDX's from places other than dealers. My understand of LoJack, as installed in new vehicles, is they are often parked for a cool down period lasting two days, to test for such devices. The battery on the LoJack itself will last approx. 2-3 days after being disconnected from the automobile battery. After speaking with a few cops, I've learned that many of them are picked up unscathed in residential neighborhoods during this cool down period.

#17 ·
DMor said:
You can be sure that people are special ordering MDX's from places other than dealers. My understand of LoJack, as installed in new vehicles, is they are often parked for a cool down period lasting two days, to test for such devices. The battery on the LoJack itself will last approx. 2-3 days after being disconnected from the automobile battery. After speaking with a few cops, I've learned that many of them are picked up unscathed in residential neighborhoods during this cool down period. [/B]
Hm... let's see - you meant to say that the crooks, once they steal your car, will give it a 2-3 days cool down period? Did I get this right, DMor? ;)

#18 ·
Whoops...Yep...CAR THIEVES disconnect the battery and park it. :)

Hey...years before this wizardry...we actually 'found' a friends stolen 'rattle trap' in the 70's while cruz'n the 'not so neighborly' Detroit neighborhoods. Found it in a grocery store parking lot. Heh. Imagine having your stolen car reclaimed while searching for it with a cart full of groceries? Heh...:) He just hopped in and drove it away! Gee..."thanks for the full tank of gas!" Music was better and Life was simpler then :)

#20 ·
DMor said:
Music was better and Life was simpler then :)
Methinks it should be:
Life was better and Music was simpler then...
But then, most all music today seems to be sampled from then! ;)

#21 ·
my $0.02

LoJack is a one time fee and there are NO monthly charges.
Many people are confused about that fact.

I had LoJack on my 98 TransAm WS6 Ram Air Special Edition and I paid ONCE - $599. My insurance in NJ went down big time. Hundreds a year less. For Jersey, that's good.

I'm considering LoJack for my MDX, maybe down the road. For the peace of mind and for the insurance discount because my premium is STUPID high.

:D

#23 ·
Re: Re: my $0.02

sgtglok said:
Acura4Life said:
... and for the insurance discount because my premium is STUPID high.
there he goes again with NJ high insurance whine! :D
noone can be me and Vip9 as the highest ins. premiums are in Brooklyn! FAHDETABOUDIT!!!!!!! :D:D:D

REVISED: make it :(:(:(
You're probably right about you and vip9 paying the highest insurance premiums. I live in Brooklyn and I know. BTW I used American Express Insurance Group and now pay less $1300/yearly than on my 94 Accord. Of course my deductible is $1000 instead of $500

BTW, FT has a battery back-up option in case the vehicle
battery becomes disconnected

#24 ·
Aha, newjack, you are from Brooklyn! I knew it! :)
Just kidding.
Here we go again about insurance!!! My Premium is close to $1,500 per 6 months (3K a year)!!! That's with 500 deductible and 300/500 (I think) liability limits. That price includes every imaginable discount including "multiple policies" from Allstate. They even have "A new car" discount! :) LJ adds a nice discount. Just remember, it's 20% (or whatever) off the "Comprehensive" part of you premium (that is usually not more that 50% of total premium - depends on a company)

BTW, a very important and hefty discount - low mileage and "light" usage!!! Allstate and GEICO give HUGE!!! discounts if your annual miles are below 7,500 and the car is used for pleasure only.

LJ has a battery backup by default. I am not sure about this "option" in FT that newjack is talking about.

#25 ·
Where else? Brooklyn, USA. :D :D :D
I think I have probably seen you in your SS MDX.
I live in Canarsie.
Your were probably the guy who almost introduced me to my Maker last week.
Just kidding!!!!. Some guy in a SS with black fender flares almost took me out last week on Nostrand Avenue while trying to make a U-turn. I must say he did look sharp. :D :D :D

I did get the light and low mileage discounts.
BTW, these guys at GEICO almost gave me heart attack when they gave me their quote. Some ridiculous number like 4k or 5k. And that's including every conceivable discount and having been with them for almost 10 years with a spotless
driving record. Oh well that's NY.

#26 ·
I thought Brooklyn was USA! Is there anything else to it? Hell, every time I try to leave Brooklyn, they ask me for my passport. :):):)

Newjack, it was not me. I do not have fender flares (especially black on a Silver car!!! disgusting)

GEICO killed me :( After being their customer for more than 5 years, they gave me a very competitive quote about a week prior to me picking up the MDX. It came on a level with Allstate, which included multi-policy discount and some "special" deals - I guess my Allstate agent REALLY wanted my business. When I called GEICO again and asked to forward an insurance binder to the dealer, they charged me almost TWICE!!! the quoted amount. They also gave me a B.S. about "not seeing" the original quote anywhere in their system. :( They suck!
Well, good for my Allstate agent. He was probably the most honest person I dealt with throughout the MDX purchasing period.

I live in Dyker Heights - a little area between Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and Boro Park.

I had LJ in my Subaru. Never had to find out how it works. I have it strictly for the peace of mind (and insurance discount) If the car is not recovered quickly enough, I do not think I would want it recovered at all. :(

In Ca, Mexico being so close, I can see why some thieves would use a "cooling down" period as DMor describes. Here in NYC, all my friends who had their cars stolen had them stripped in a matter of hours.

Let's just hope it will never come to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.